TH-HTML5 [Community Project]

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you still speaking about the chat or are you speaking of something else?

No, I am speaking about the CSS3 elements that we should include into the page that we are making overall.
Because HTML5 capitalizes further on CSS3 being one of its major features.

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
Since you're talking about chats I came to the conclusion long-polling is best in terms of performance and resources a few years ago. Production-end technology hasn't changed much since. I can't find my docs on it but you can do it with a single request in any browser with generic code given you create a XMLHttpRequest object for IE.

As for showing off HTML5, how about Minecraft?

GetTriggerUnit-

DogEntrepreneur
Reaction score
I can't find my docs on it but you can do it with a single request in any browser with generic code given you create a XMLHttpRequest object for IE.
That scripts covers Chrome, Opera, Safari, Firefox, IE6+. (IE5 maybe).
Code:
var ajax = {

create: function () {
        var xhr;
        if (!!window.XMLHttpRequest)
            xhr = new XMLHttpRequest();
        else {
            try {
                xhr = new ActiveXObject('Microsoft.XMLHTTP');
            } catch (e) {
                xhr = new ActiveXObject('Msxml2.XMLHTTP');
            }
        }
        return xhr;
    }

}

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
That scripts covers Chrome, Opera, Safari, Firefox, IE6+. (IE5 maybe).
Code:
// snip

Why are you '!!'-ing that if statement? It should work fine without it.

Since you're talking about chats I came to the conclusion long-polling is best in terms of performance and resources a few years ago. Production-end technology hasn't changed much since. I can't find my docs on it but you can do it with a single request in any browser with generic code given you create a XMLHttpRequest object for IE.

Anything XHR-related is going to be slower than WebSockets, and will put more of a load on the server.
When writing WebSocket-based code though, I think it would be a good idea to have some sort of 'fall-back' (I've seen a lot of people using an embedded Flash object that will simulate WebSockets if they aren't available. Just an example.), so that users without WebSockets aren't completely locked out.

As for showing off HTML5, how about Minecraft?

As in recreating it? You would be WebGL, which doesn't have a lot of hardware support, last I checked.

Magentix

if (OP.statement == false) postCount++;
Reaction score
Why are you '!!'-ing that if statement? It should work fine without it.

What he said.
Any object instance evaluates to true, even an instance of "new Boolean(0)".

The double not operator is to type safely compare something with a boolean primitive value or to do 'easy' feature detection:
Code:
// sets gE to the function's reference value
var gE = document.getElementById;

// sets gE to a boolean telling us if getElementById is available or not
var gE = !!document.getElementById;

GetTriggerUnit-

DogEntrepreneur
Reaction score
Miz, could we get an update on what's up with this project and possibly which projects you have actually going to realize?

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think we should do an HTML5/CSS3 gallery, which displays as many different effects as we can achieve. Things such as a polarized picture etc.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Miz, could we get an update on what's up with this project and possibly which projects you have actually going to realize?

Well remember that this is a community project not an individual project, so I don't always know what is fully going on with it unless somebody tells me. I am mainly just an organizer, however this project is more inactive because not as many of you have seemed interested in it.

As for which Projects I am going to realize, it isn't up to me. Like I said its a community project, its up to us as a group to decide what we should do. If somebody suggests an idea like UndeadDragon, and people agree they can state so. If not, they can also say why.

I think we should do an HTML5/CSS3 gallery, which displays as many different effects as we can achieve. Things such as a polarized picture etc.

Yeah I think that might be cool, include things like videos too.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I think that might be cool, include things like videos too.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing I was thinking, because unlike the chat-system-thing, people can work on their own and then collaborate their ideas at the end. The problem with the chat idea was that one person could just do it themselves and leave everyone else with nothing.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the sort of thing I was thinking, because unlike the chat-system-thing, people can work on their own and then collaborate their ideas at the end. The problem with the chat idea was that one person could just do it themselves and leave everyone else with nothing.

Completely hear you out,
We could probably incorporate a type of shoutbox, but I would rather try to stay away from things like that though. We should try to focus mostly on showing off HTML5/CSS3 and not Server side languages.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We can always incorporate further features, but I think a sort of showcase would be a nice start of showing off HTML5/CSS3, beings they are both a lot more media based.

GetTriggerUnit-

DogEntrepreneur
Reaction score
What about a universal player for videos. Instead of using the usual controls="controls", we make our own. Wouldn't that be nice?

We could add a full screen version which sets the width and height to 100% of the page, etc.

I'd be down for it :)

azareus

And you know it.
Reaction score
Well I guess we should just showcase as many effects as possible. Maybe make our own too :)

Anyway, we DO definitely need a subdomain or something so we can actually begin work.

How about sharing the code? I think maybe we should add a tutorial/source for every effect?

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
A sub-domain would be very nice indeed.

Also, we could probably create a repository somewhere and start putting up whatever we're working on so everyone can work on it.

How about sharing a SVN and we each get a directory in it?

Gah, you posted right before I did. D:
Also, eww SVN.

azareus

And you know it.
Reaction score
Github. Do want.

I guess we need some kind of framework for the website as a start? So we should start working on that probably.

Also, I guess Miz should make the github?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.