Thanatos_820 — Death is Not the End

Discussion in 'Site History and Blizzard 1st MVP Story' started by Thanatos_820, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Thanatos_820

Thanatos_820 Death is Not the End

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    [I hope this is in the right section/allowed, but if not, do what you will.]

It's been so long, and there's so much to tell, but where do I start? I suppose we should roll the timeline back several years first before going anywhere, but I'd like to get an introduction out first.

Whether you know me or not, my username is Thanatos_820, and I've been registered on TH.net since 2006. Despite my eight-year membership, I was only active during 2006-2008, with a few lurking trickles leading to my eventual hiatus in 2011. I primarily posted in the Warcraft forums and subforums, and later, started posting in the World of Warcraft subforum as well.

Personally, I prefer the older layout this forum used to have back when I first arrived, but times change I suppose. It's much harder for me to navigate the site as easily as I did before.

Anyway, here's my story.

2005 — The Internet
    Early 2006 — The World Editor
    Late 2006 — The Helper
    "Do you know that I'm only 12 years old and I'm a newbie to this site??? I only joined today!"
    Early 2007 — Search-An-Idea
    "Hello people, this is a Search-a-Idea thread! If you need a spell, an item, a mode, a hero, a unit, an upgrade, a building, or a hero name, you came to the right place. Please, take a few of my ideas especially if you're working on a map project. Feel free post any comments, concerns, or ideas because this is a Search-an-Idea thread! You add the effect of the idea, not me."
    2007-2008 — The Failed Projects
    My First Official Map
    "This map was inspired by AceHart's: Hatchery Havoc, so I decided to create a "relative" of it. No, there's no AI like in AceHart's map, I plan to make AI soon though. In this map, you can dominate your enemies, cut through enemy lines, and...whatever."
    2008-2011 — Drifting Away
    Concluding Thoughts
    Given the age from when I had first joined this forum, and how old I am today, there is no doubt that TH.net made up a significant portion of my growth experience. I came here knowing very little about the wonders (and dangers) of the internet; I came here knowing very little about the depth of Warcraft 3's World Editor; but most importantly, I came here knowing very little about myself.

Over the years I spent on this site, I didn't really learn as much as I would've liked about the World Editor. I'm still that same, dreaming map-maker with the dozen of ideas floating around in his head, even after all this time. Actually, I might even be worse since I haven't touched the editor in so long.

But, that's okay with me. My progress with map-making didn't really get all that far, but I did receive an impressive amount of fundamental knowledge that has, to this day, served me well. TH.net taught me better social etiquette, in and outside of the forums; it taught me to first walk before I could run; the difference between quality and quantity; what constructive criticism looks like; how to give constructive criticism... I could go on.

Some of these life lessons, I didn't think I'd get them from a forum of all things. But I did, and I'm glad I was able to learn them firsthand here, even if this wasn't the right place for it, and even if I didn't expect to learn anything other than the World Editor's functions.

You have to start somewhere.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. FireCat

FireCat Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!

Ratings:
    +553 / 7 / -18
    Cool story!

3. Slapshot136

Slapshot136 Divide et impera

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0