The 3 Pylon Block and rant

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
So i just played a game where the toss decides to 3 pylon block my ramp unluckily for him, i left a drone near my nat to prevent any cheese. As usual toss will direct his probe back and me spotting his probe followed it and turned a 3 pylon block into a 5 pylon block. Unfortunately for him also my natural isnt finished i canceled it, threw roach warren down and stuck onto one base for a bit. The rest of the game follows as i try to roach pressure his front unsuccesfully because the cominbation of cannon of sentries is bs towards defending my early pressure and yet at the same time he still got an advantage over me despite spending over 1k early game on that 2 cannon + 3 pylon block. I cant catch up econ wise without worrying about timing pushes and cant pressure them back. Moral of the story besides mules, the 3 pylon block is the most blatant ways to win games.

I dont understand why blizzard dont just put a supply depot like in every tournaments in every map. The 3 pylon block even if i hold position on the drone and turns it into a 5 pylon and pull all my drones off still doesnt have a large enough area for all my drones to attack at the same time and with 2 cannons basically forces me on one base no matter what.

2 Things that i actually wants to address in this thread besides the rant.

The fact that zerg is always the victim of early pressure, by early i mean before or periods after natural goes down. Or victims of "cheese" such as void or banshee though those are easily countered while having no real "cheese" of its own. Also late game pressure in terms of drops from both other races, lings are really ineffective in dealing with any drop unless in large numbers. And with the coming expansion with stuff like the nexus cannon or whatever and battle hellion it will only enhance the constant pressure that the other race will put on whilst zerg will have to stay in their base even more which i just find stupid.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Its actually very easy to fend this off using drones.
You need to use the "mineral trick", that means, right click a mineral patch beyond the pylon block and all your drones will ignore pathing.
Then you move about 10 drones on top of each other using this trick to the pylons and start attacking them.
All drones hit at once and the pylon should go down really fast.

To spot it just position the first overlord you build at your natural. When you see him start to build the pylons, move your workers down, use this trick, own the pylons in an instant and have an advantage.

Zerg has many cheeses by the way. The six pool will outright kill any forge fast expand of protoss.
What i like to do also is abuse the meta-game. VS protoss, the protoss will usually go forge fast expand while the zerg goes for 3 hatches. I make it look as if i do this as well, then i go for a baneling bust.
It works like a charm, never lost with that vs a forge fast expand. Because protoss doesnt expect it, its not the "usual play".

About banshees and drops. Yeah, zerg doesnt have any good early game anti air. Queens are not cost efficient and hydras suck in most situations (and are mid-late game.)
I think zerg needs t1.5 anti-air units, like switching hydras and roaches.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
I suggest oppening 14 pool 17 hatch in zvp since it is the only way to deal with the 3 pylon block or have a drone patrool the bottom of your ramp.

Also, zerg have pretty strong all ins, they are just a bit more stranger than the other races.

Nigerianrulz

Reaction score
to both yous, since its normally only us 3 in this section anyways :)

I am contemplating 14 pool and 17 hatch or the stephano style of opening which deals with any sort of early pressure. But lets be honest how many zerg actually patrols a drone at the bottom. Most of the time when i open with 15 hatch which is the idra way of opening i deal with cannon or bunker pressure pretty well.

The 11/12 minute max roach is pretty lethal, however this is meta game all ins. The rant addresses early game pressure which besides 6 or 10 pool there is none and both are easily defendable.

To accname, i know of the drone trick except the fact that if the 3 pylon goes down at all you will always lose unless your opponent is really bad and dont know how to make any amount of units at all. You will always be down in econ while he has an expo, ive read from someone, or through my research found that if all 3 pylon goes down you will always have a big disadvantage.
Also a 6 pool is horrible against FFE, ive already tested a few times against my mate. We made so that he can only react when he sees my pool and still he easily defended it by just canceling everything and building on the ramp.
The bling play sounds interesting, i might give it a try. However did your opponents have 3+ sentries? cause i see forcefields be pretty usual if landed properly.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Sentries need energy to force field. And energy builds up slowly.
When they go forge fast expand they do not get early gas and their sentries are usually late.
When my blings hit they mostly have only 1 sentry, maybe 2 and a third warping in. Thats when they do not go for the immediate upgrades.
In this case i have won regardless because the energy refills too slow, i just wait for the force field to disappear and they are dead. And they know it.

And i dont understand why you think you are behind after he did a pylon block or after canceling his buildings after a six pool.
The six pool isnt as bad in terms of economy as it seems to be, you get a quick queen after all and he is unable to expand at all. Canceling forge and nexus costs you about 125 resources as well and the first pylon is lost making it 225 + supply-block.

And when you destroy his early 3 pylon block he already lost 300 minerals as well as the mining time for the probe. You only lose little mining time since you do not need very long to destroy the pylons. Usually you dont even need to destroy all 3 of them, break the contain, get an expansion. if he attempts to build the pylon again, pull 10 drones again. It all comes down to micromanagement. If you are really good at it you will come out ahead of the protoss by far.
I have seen many pro players pull that off.

Look at this replay for example:

That was even with VERY late scouting and not even perfectly executed.

Nigerianrulz

Reaction score
Well when you 6 pool you pretty much stay on 7 drones for a while whilst the toss is building his econ. A standard FFE scout timing would see the pool before it finishes therefore only the pylon would be done at the front. A further 150 will be spent on lings whilst you have to wait for overlord and due to 7 drones a slow rebuilding process if your lings does not do any damage at all. Whilst the toss would have almost saturated his base and made a few zealots easily deflecting any lings in his natural. How is this not behind?

I already seen that video, infact ive know how to do it already yes he lost 450 minerals if the cannon goes up but that guy in the video did it wrong... his pool is down already. However theres a few things we should note. First not all maps have a close mineral patch you can click on to stack, on some map and places e.g. bottom left corner on shakuras you can't stack at all. Secondly if he had continue attacking those building he wouldve lost about a whole minute of game time mining. Lets say it takes 1 drone to carry 5 minerals every 5 seconds. That would've been 60 minerals lost per drone whilst the toss should've walled in and started his nexus already. How is this not behind as well?

All in all, this is just a cheap way to win hence why theres supply depots on every tournament maps so why don't blizzard just implement the same...

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
He doesnt need to damage the other buildings. Once the cheese is fend off he can go back to mining. If the protoss player is really resilient with this and tries again, the zerg will see it with his overlord and pull 6 drones again.
Let 2 pylons stay there, go pool first, get 2 lings and they will deal with it.
The protoss player doesnt have so many minerals to wall off after a pylon block and get a nexus.
Especially if he also got a forge and tried to place cannons. Thats so much minerals wasted, the nexus will take him alot of time to build too.

And usually the scout for protoss comes after the gateway or even after the cybercore (if he doesnt go forge fast expand) otherwise after the first pylon or after the forge. You will still be able to snatch a free pylon, have map control, and the protoss will be delayed in tech as well since he has to rebuild the first pylon before he can start his gateway and cybercore at the top of his ramp. Maybe even more if he chooses to block his ramp with 3 pylons to fend off the early zerglings. He will be on the defensive while you can then start to macro up.

Nigerianrulz

Reaction score
But theres a cannon with the 3 pylons... Its not the build being disrupted that matters is the fact that your expo will be later than his with even workers meaning you would have to drone up pretty hard to catch up to him.

So far pretty much all toss i've faced scouts at 9/10 supply so... Thats my scout timing when i play toss. There is also ways to wall off with pylon on the low ground too btw which is even more effective. Like the 3 pylon block yes he will be delayed in tech but your econ is so shit compared to his without damage done. If 6 pool really is the perfect counter to FFE every pro wouldve used it by now wouldnt you think?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
It is very effective, but only if he really goes for the forge fast expand. If you dont know it, its dangerous. Thats why the pros dont do it. Its cheesy, and they want to win. They play it safe and go for macro.
But to be honest, i have never ever seen a protoss player do a pylon block against me. Didnt happen even once.

Nigerianrulz

Reaction score
Well like i said before ive tested this against a buddy of mine and we have concluded it's not viable as it puts my econ behind, unless the toss is greedy and scouts late than it will be very effective however like i said a lot of toss for me, scouts at 9/10 and will spot the pool before its finish giving more than enough time for a wall in + cannon.

Its only happened to me like 4 times mostly playing against lower league and destiny makes it look easy in the video. But i remember the very next time i got 3 pylon blocked i was like yeah this is gonna be easy but turns out that spawn only works in the further patch at the natural so it wouldve taken even longer as the drones will respread itself after a bit if you dont click fast enough.

Nigerianrulz

Reaction score
Okay just an update. Just played against another 3 pylon block as i have been cheesed quite a few times this past week ive gone with the stephano 14 pool opening and i saw his probe and manage to set hold position prompting him to do an 4 pylon block with 2 cannons, fortunately for me my lings were already on the way and i grabbed a handful of drones and succesfully did the drone trick just in time that the cannons finished but my lings were out and it was pretty much gg from then on. So i welcome toss doing 3 pylon block because it gives me the satisfaction of beating it. :D yay happy time.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I told you, if you do the mineral trick right, getting a pylon down is no problem at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.