Spell The Allmighty Fear

sentrywiz

Reaction score
FEAR!
WoW fans, don't drool I haven't started yet.

No seriously, its nothing to drool about...

NOTE:
I have been searching around to see if someone has already made my idea, don't want to double-thread and reinvent the wheel. So far I haven't found anything, and if such thread exists and its not better than this one, more for me. And you.

Fear. The scourge inside World of Warcraft. Nobody hates anything more than a couple of seconds running completely useless in fear. Unable to react, cast, move on will...

Its not stun, yet it makes you put your thumb in the mouth and watch your character like a kid in candy store "ooh, i like that and that and that... and ooh look at that and that and that..." yeah, panic attack. Its not disable, yet people tend to like being stunned than being feared. And those who played WoW or still do, know what an affliction warlock does in pvp. Here is a complex step-by-step routine, very hard to follow:

1. Apply Fear
2. Laugh like there is no tommorow, apply dot spells
3. Drain Life
4. If target isn't dead yet, repeat from step 1.
5. /lol, /dance, /taunt

ONLY BREAK IN CASE OF EMERGENCY!

666. Shoot Death Coil. Which is what? Damage, Lifesteal and Fear all in one.

Fear wins. That is all you need to know.

Well now, you can create your own complex-affliction-scourge-of-warlock inside your maps. I present to you, the Fear spell, in almost every way, every flavor with whatever spice you like to it... just not pepper.

Type of spell: Point, target, instant(no target), passive

Made in: GUI. I'm sure you can take the idea to a next level if your a JASS-er.

Is it MUI/MPI: Yeah, every bit of it. I think...

Complexity level to make: Light/Little/Low

Uses mostly: Buffs, points, dummy units

Do you like yellow color: Yes

Fair enough. Lets get started:

Single target fear

The Warlock puts the target into fear for short period of time. The target moves randomly in terror, cannot cast spells or attack. Fear lasts 2/3/4 seconds

Fear.jpg

This fear can be triggered in multiple ways. One way when I first got the idea but had little to no triggering experience in GUI, I used a some-what OP method of causing trouble to the player that received his or her unit to be feared. I used "deselect unit for player" so not only did the poor soul run around like a village idiot but the player couldn't select the unit without it being deselected. Now, it uses a more proper method.

It creates a dummy unit that will cast silence on the unit being feared. Silence cast can be:

-small aoe, like 50 range
-from other spells like soulburn, with whom you can make your new spell to even damage in dot version. just like a warlock would

So short version, unit gets feared, dummy unit casts silence on it and a periodic event moves the unit in random silly ways.

Triggers:

Trigger:
  • onCast targetFear
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Fear
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster [mass fear] for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Add a 2.00 second Water Elemental expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Add Silence [mini fear] to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Set level of Silence [mini fear] for (Last created unit) to (Level of Fear for (Triggering unit))
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Neutral Dark Ranger - Silence (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))

Trigger:
  • period massFear2
    • Events
      • Time - Every (Random real number between 0.33 and 0.50) seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area) matching (((Matching unit) has buff Fear) Equal to True)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set FearPoint = (Position of (Picked unit))
          • Unit - Order (Picked unit) to Move To (FearPoint offset by (Random real number between 50.00 and 200.00) towards (Random angle) degrees)
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_FearPoint)

TABLE OF TRIGGER CONTENTS
  • Dummy Caster [mass fear] is just like any other dummy unit. It has locust, its model is bugger so it cannot be seen, selected or killed. This is the dummy unit I use for all the fear spells, so it can be considered default.
  • Silence [mini fear] is like it sounds, an aoe silence with 3 levels, each level lasting as the seconds on the Fear spell. This means if fear lasts 2 seconds, silence lasts 2 seconds.
  • Every random time between 0.33 and 0.50 seconds. This is the perfect time-interval for me. Its not really short, but not really long. It also captures the effect of unit really having a panic attack and just moving here, there, here, there...
  • FearPoint is a point variable, I think you know that much. Offset between 50/200 is also through trial-error found that i like how the unit goes randomly, sometimes a step forward, two steps backwards, one step backwards, one step forward, two steps forward... you really can't tell where its going.

Multi target fear aka instant(no target)

The Warlock releases a howl of terror, putting each enemy in an area around him in state of fear. Feared targets randomly move around for a short amount of time, can't attack, cast spells or move on purpose. Fear lasts 1/2/3 seconds

Howl of Terror.jpg

An AoE Fear. Can there be something more terrifying? Yes, but cookies after dinner.

I used the original Howl of Terror here, only modified the text, taken out the damage loss. I even left the same icon, same effect. Its just perfect, I don't know why Blizzard didn't made their version of AoE Fear inside it.

This spell just like the target fear spell, depends on the periodic buff checker and the default version of the spell does the rest. You can also use any other kind of AoE spell that you wish, that leaves a buff on the units. Or cast it yourself, then allow the buff trigger to fear the targets. I just found Howl of Terror to be the perfect one, but if you like War Stomp, Thunder Clap or Channel better, do use what you want.

Dummy unit will spawn at position of caster and silence enemies through a silence that actually has an aoe, unlike the other.

So short version, you cast howl of terror, nearby units get the fear buff, they move like flies on shit, dummy unit comes and silences them all.

Triggers:

Trigger:
  • onCast massFear
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Howl of Terror [mass]
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster [mass fear] for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of (Triggering unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Add a 2.00 second Water Elemental expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Add Silence [mass fear] to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Set level of Silence [mass fear] for (Last created unit) to (Level of Howl of Terror [mass] for (Triggering unit))
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Neutral Dark Ranger - Silence (Position of (Triggering unit))

Trigger:
  • period massFear2
    • Events
      • Time - Every (Random real number between 0.33 and 0.50) seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area) matching (((Matching unit) has buff Fear) Equal to True)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set FearPoint = (Position of (Picked unit))
          • Unit - Order (Picked unit) to Move To (FearPoint offset by (Random real number between 50.00 and 200.00) towards (Random angle) degrees)

• Completely same thing as the last fear, only this one uses another silence spell that has a same (or you can set bigger) aoe as howl of terror to silence the enemies

Point fear spell

The Warlock uses his utmost black magic to devour enemies inside a sphere of darkness, causing them to be feared for 5 seconds. Under the black moon, feared targets receive 25 damage each second for 10 seconds, cannot attack or cast spells.

Horror World.jpg

Probably the best Fear spell you can have in your arsenal. A remote range cast AoE Fear. I think by now you know how to do this, but just because its fun... I made this spell an ultimate and included an additional effect to it.

I actually use the Channel spell here, having it be point target, with little channeling time and animation.

Now in this spell I use three dummy units. The trigger is bit long and I'm sure it can be triggered better but I didn't spend too much time on it, just made sure it won't leak and that all effects would count.

So short version, you cast the spell on a point somewhere. But first and foremost, another type of dummy unit spawns, only this one has a little modified version of Acid Bomb... that is what I used. I also know that you can pick every unit, cast something else like Doom, Unholy Frenzy, Soul Burn to create the dot effect. Secondly a dummy unit is cast that will cast Howl of Terror, having fear apply. Shortly after, another dummy comes to silence them all with the big ass aoe.

Trigger:

Trigger:
  • onCast pointFear
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Horror World
    • Actions
      • Set FearPoint = (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster [horror world] for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at FearPoint facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Add a 3.00 second Water Elemental expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Neutral Alchemist - Acid Bomb (Random unit from (Units within 500.00 of FearPoint matching (((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to True)))
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster [mass fear] for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at FearPoint facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Add a 4.00 second Water Elemental expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Add Howl of Terror [mass] to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Set level of Howl of Terror [mass] for (Last created unit) to (Level of Howl of Terror [mass] for (Triggering unit))
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Neutral Pit Lord - Howl Of Terror
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster [mass fear] for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of (Triggering unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Add Silence [mass fear] to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Set level of Silence [mass fear] for (Last created unit) to (Level of Howl of Terror [mass] for (Triggering unit))
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Neutral Dark Ranger - Silence (Position of (Triggering unit))

I won't copy paste the buff checker trigger as you already seen that twice.

• FearPoint is used first before the buff trigger to set where should dummy units be spawned. After that, the buff checker uses the FearPoint as normal.

Passive fear

Enemies never get the Warlock off guard, because he is surrounded by the haunting spirits, who can randomly fear enemies who dare think of harming him. Fear applied is equal to the Fear spell the Warlock has

A passive spell that activates on chance for unit to be feared when attempting/attacking the Warlock.

I use Unholy Aura, but any aura would suffice. I just like the idea of a passive that maybe I would like to give bonus health per second regeneration and movement speed + fear effect.

It also links a very important combo. In order for this to work, you need to level both the passive for more chance and the target Fear spell. Of course this is for the test map only but you can link combo two abilities like this, one from which can be fear.

So short version, you get attacked and a 6/7/8% chance the attacker gets feared. This hurts alot, and it might be OP even though chance is slim because it is like you casted a fear for no cooldown, no mana and actually YOU didn't cast it.

Trigger:

Trigger:
  • passiveCast targetFear
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is attacked
    • Conditions
      • (Level of Unholy Grotto for (Attacked unit)) Greater than 0
      • (Level of Fear for (Attacked unit)) Greater than 0
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Random integer number between 1 and 100) Less than or equal to ((Level of Unholy Grotto for (Attacked unit)) + 5)
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster [mass fear] for (Owner of (Attacked unit)) at (Position of (Attacking unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
          • Unit - Add Fear to (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Set level of Fear for (Last created unit) to (Level of Fear for (Attacked unit))
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Undead Banshee - Curse (Attacking unit)
        • Else - Actions

I won't copy paste the buff checker trigger as you already seen that twice.

SUMMARY - Suggestions, hints and tips

• [*]If you want to use a point in each of the fear triggers, don't. Those triggers are there just to cast silence/additional effect. Its the buff checking periodical trigger that does most/ALL of the work.
    [*]Create combo mass AoE/Single target fear spells with stun, poison, dot, stat reduction to bring not just a good ultimate spell but one that will be really popular in AoS maps like in DoTa-Like
    [*]Use the map provided in the bottom to see all of the triggers, units, buffs and stuff.
    [*]+rep is always welcomed.

Thank you all for reading this semi-boring tutorial. Merry Fearing

Attachments

• Fear.w3x
    25.9 KB · Views: 321

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
This is a tutorial? :S I thought it was a spell/spellpack ?

Couple of comments / tips / suggestions:

1) Don't use light green text.
2) Don't use light yellow text either.
3) Don't use light text. It hurts my eyes and I can't read it on this forum.
4) Use spoilers to neatly format everything into your sections.
5) Use Triggering Player instead of "Owner of (Triggering unit)"
6) You have a few leaks in every trigger:

4 leaks in Single target fear
4 leaks in Multi target fear aka instant(no target)
3 leaks in Point fear spell
1 leak in Passive fear

7) In your last trigger use Triggering unit instead of Attacked unit.

Alright, I haven't actually played the map or tested the spells, so I don't know if something should/should not be happening...but here's my feedback for now.

Tom_Kazansky

--- wraith it ! ---
Reaction score
for the "single target Fear", I suggest you use Soul Burn instead of Silence
and also use Doom for heroes and Soul Burn for non-heroes. why? cuz Doom prevents heroes from using items :D.

and, yes, light colors such as (light) green and yellow are bad (for this forum).

sentrywiz

Reaction score
This is a tutorial? :S I thought it was a spell/spellpack ?

Couple of comments / tips / suggestions:

1) Don't use light green text.
2) Don't use light yellow text either.
3) Don't use light text. It hurts my eyes and I can't read it on this forum.
4) Use spoilers to neatly format everything into your sections.
5) Use Triggering Player instead of "Owner of (Triggering unit)"
6) You have a few leaks in every trigger:

4 leaks in Single target fear
4 leaks in Multi target fear aka instant(no target)
3 leaks in Point fear spell
1 leak in Passive fear

7) In your last trigger use Triggering unit instead of Attacked unit.

Alright, I haven't actually played the map or tested the spells, so I don't know if something should/should not be happening...but here's my feedback for now.

1, 2 and 3) I have to, otherwise you won't wear glasses or contacts in this life :p.

Just messing with ya.

4. That is one thing I haven't noticed just yet. Where are the spoilers?

5. Triggering Player is only for when players do something? Not units? Players can't cast fear, except in real?

6. What are they then?

I don't even have enough triggers for me to have 4 leaks in single target and multi target fear.

In point target fear maybe I do, but as I said there would probably be a better way of making it as I said somewhere up there.

So, do tag my leaks? Did you accidentally hit 4 instead of 1 or 2? Cmon, 4 leaks? :p

for the "single target Fear", I suggest you use Soul Burn instead of Silence
and also use Doom for heroes and Soul Burn for non-heroes. why? cuz Doom prevents heroes from using items .

and, yes, light colors such as (light) green and yellow are bad (for this forum).

Same thing, I do say above that whatever you use to achieve the silence effect is USER CHOICE. I know you do have a point in saying this, as I had in mentioning that Silence is maybe a bad choice...

I won't use light text anymore. It was to make you guys blind. :p

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Alrighty:

1) You can use spoilers by typing in: [noparse]
YOUR TEXT HERE
[/noparse]

2) Triggering Player automatically calls "Owner of Triggering unit" :p. Please use it instead.

3) The long list of leaks (btw, I counted pretty accurately):

Bold implies the leak. Italics imply trigger code lines.

Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster [mass fear] for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) facing Default building facing degrees

Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Neutral Dark Ranger - Silence (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))

Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area) matching (((Matching unit) has buff Fear) Equal to True)) and do (Actions)

Unit - Order (Picked unit) to Move To (FearPoint offset by (Random real number between 50.00 and 200.00) towards (Random angle) degrees)

Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster [mass fear] for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of (Triggering unit)) facing Default building facing degrees

Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Neutral Dark Ranger - Silence (Position of (Triggering unit))

Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area) matching (((Matching unit) has buff Fear) Equal to True)) and do (Actions)

Unit - Order (Picked unit) to Move To (FearPoint offset by (Random real number between 50.00 and 200.00) towards (Random angle) degrees)

Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Neutral Alchemist - Acid Bomb (Random unit from (Units within 500.00 of FearPoint matching (((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to True)))

Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster [mass fear] for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of (Triggering unit)) facing Default building facing degrees

Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Neutral Dark Ranger - Silence (Position of (Triggering unit))
Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster [mass fear] for (Owner of (Attacked unit)) at (Position of (Attacking unit)) facing Default building facing degrees

I don't know how you managed to stop some leaks and miss all those. Read this again to find out how to remove those leaks.

sentrywiz

Reaction score
Alrighty:

1) You can use spoilers by typing in: [noparse]
YOUR TEXT HERE
[/noparse]

2) Triggering Player automatically calls "Owner of Triggering unit" :p. Please use it instead.

3) The long list of leaks (btw, I counted pretty accurately):

Bold implies the leak. Italics imply trigger code lines.

Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster [mass fear] for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) facing Default building facing degrees

Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Neutral Dark Ranger - Silence (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))

Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Neutral Alchemist - Acid Bomb (Random unit from (Units within 500.00 of FearPoint matching (((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to True)))

Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster [mass fear] for (Owner of (Attacked unit)) at (Position of (Attacking unit)) facing Default building facing degrees

I don't know how you managed to stop some leaks and miss all those. Read this again to find out how to remove those leaks.

Positions of units leak? That one I surely would of never guessed. Back to the drawing board, lets see what I can learn today.

I have no idea how to fix some of the leaks that "supposedly" exist there. Like where is the leak in "(FearPoint offset by (Random real number between 50.00 and 200.00)". I can guess making variables about positions of units, then removing them.

Btw, you are a LEAK FREAK. Please change your description under the cat you use as avatar. Moridin, THE LEAK FREAK :p:D:p:D

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
I have no idea how to fix some of the leaks that "supposedly" exist there. Like where is the leak in "(FearPoint offset by (Random real number between 50.00 and 200.00)". I can guess making variables about positions of units, then removing them.
The leak that part is the fact that you are creating a new point (i.e. the location which is offset from FearPoint) - something as simple as
Code:
Set FearPointTwo = FearPoint offset by (Random real number between 50.00 and 200.00)
followed by your normal leak removal, will solve that.

Btw, you are a LEAK FREAK. Please change your description under the cat you use as avatar. Moridin, THE LEAK FREAK :p:D:p:D
There's nothing wrong with being wary of leaks - they can contribute a massive amount of lag to maps, depending on how often they occur and, as such, every effort should be made to reduce the possibility for (potentially crippling) lag.

hgkjfhfdsj

Reaction score
on a side note:
Trigger:
  • Time - Every (Random real number between 0.33 and 0.50) seconds of game tim

converts to
JASS:
function Trig_period_massFear2_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
endfunction

//===========================================================================
function InitTrig_period_massFear2 takes nothing returns nothing
    set gg_trg_period_massFear2 = CreateTrigger(  )
    call TriggerRegisterTimerEventPeriodic( gg_trg_period_massFear2, GetRandomReal(0.33, 0.50) )
    call TriggerAddAction( gg_trg_period_massFear2, function Trig_period_massFear2_Actions )
endfunction

JASS:

in other words, timer event periodic only registers a static timeout. the timeout will be the first generated random real between 0.33 and 0.5. for a dynamic one, perhaps register a timer expire event as per normal, and the start the timer on expire with a new timeout. eg
Trigger:
  • expire
    • Events
      • Time - Some_Timer expires
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Countdown Timer - Start Some_Timer as a One-shot timer that will expire in (Random real number between 0.33 and 0.50) seconds

besides that, quite a decent concept/ spell idea :)

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Positions of units leak because the game creates a temp variable to hold that location every time you call "position of some unit". This temp is constantly overwritten, creating leaks...thus you need to destroy it before it gets overwritten, or else it collects in your memory.

If you have a point with an offset, you have to have 2 different temp point variables.
Set the first to the direct point (the original point).
Set the second variable to the first point variable with the offset

...and then destroy both of them when you're done.

As for me being a leak freak :p, working extensively in GUI just allows me to spot them. I'm sure most other people on this forum could do the same, since they have a lot more experience than I do.

sentrywiz

Reaction score
Ok I will re-edit and fix all the spells and include new screenies.

Thanks all to your wonderful (but annoying) leaks.

Kidding. I think o_O

- - - > Thread under construction

Ashlebede

Reaction score
Meh... you could still micro your feared units and try to control them, since the delay is somewhat-too long. It would mean that you can re-order your unit to move somewhere else between those 2 ".5 seconds". If you constantly do it, you can re-order them to go towards a direction.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    that sucks i bet they are expensive
  • Varine Varine:
    Not really
  • Varine Varine:
    The entire hot end is like 20 dollars, I just can't get anymore until next week
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.