The Attachment to the Map

L

lordloki

Since I started coming here, which has not been too long I've noticed how protective people are of their maps... They dont want other people taking them and re-releasing them on Bnet. When if someone was to be that malicious, then they are malicious enough to learn how to get past that. What happens in the meantime is that many people who could truely bennefit by looking at others examples suffer. To add insult to injury, they come around to forums such as this and post questions that could EASILY be found if people werent so protective of their maps.

For example.... Johnny get WC3,.. Johnny plays LOAP... Johnny wants to know how to make something from LOAP. Loap be Locked.. Johnny spends weeks on weeks looking for an answer and when he doesnt find one he gets thouroughly fustrated and over-reacts killing his mom and dad with a 4 iron and stuffing their bodies in the fridge... then goes out and buys Rap albums and talks with a brittish accent... ALL BECAUSE YOUR BEING STINGY WITH SOMETHING THATS WAY TO EASY TO UNLOCK IN THE 1ST PLACE!....

- This joke brought to you from the makers of Happy Fun Ball
Do not Taunt Happy Fun Ball as It is known to explode for no good given reason.
If Happy Fun Ball Leaks, take proper chemical attack procedures as outlined by the Homeland Security Act, Cover yourself with plastic and duct-tape and suffocate you retarded Fool

L.
:D

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I see rip off versions of Ryoko TD on azeroth. How do you think that makes me feel?

Over a years worth of work to be credited to some punk?

And people think its his original?

I even protected it too.

Yes protection can be cracked, but the map will NEVER be the same. You basically have to edit everything object wise in the editor, and everything trigger wise in JASS, and its not worth it.

But for some reason, someone thought Ryoko TD was.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
are the rip offs called Ryoko TD, or have they been renamed?

and how many trigger-based mechanisms did you put into the map to make sure people knew you made it?

lordloki: if you want to learn to make maps, you open blizzard's maps. That's exactly what I did when I had no clue whatsoever about the editor. By this point in time (2005), Blizzard has a ton of maps out there to look at, including TDs, AoS maps and so forth.

In many many many cases, the people you are talking about want to change a couple of things in the map they think need improving. They then go and re-release it and wipe the original author's name from the map. And Bingo, all the original author's hard work goes down the drain.

Forums like these exist for you to come in and ask your questions. If you don't know how to make a LoaP map, just ask here.

Demonfaze

8 yrs. Hell, it's been a long time.
Reaction score
Yeah, please don't make a fake. I have been a loyal LoaP forum member since....when there were no fakes (a long time ago). At their forum, I have the most posts :D and know every semi-active to active member there.

Unlike most people on the forums though, I don't "trash" fakes with every swear word I have in my brain, I just try to encourage them to learn from their "fake" but after that, create their own.

-Demonfaze

L

lordloki

Guy's
- This joke brought to you

I was making a funny.

My main point was that while I COMPLETELY understand the protective nature of it, it is somewhat in vain, as you pointed out.. Some punk is just gonna snag it anyway if they want.

I am not at all against protecting maps. I just think that even though one can spend alot of time working on it, if you publicize right, everyone who play's is gonna know its your's anyway. And if someone does edit your map, I wouldnt get too irate, its not like you were getting paid for it, or the credibility of your map is going to win you the nobel prize.

All in all, it was humor.

Once again I am misunderstood.. sigh

L.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
No need to apologize. It is perfectly acceptable to have an opinion here and to defend that opinion as long as you stay within the forum rules which means no flaming. Just keep it civil and have fun.

L

lordloki

Oh no.. never flaming.... not really a strong opinion either.. was just making an observation and trying to use humor to relate it...

I have failed my master.....

........"boot to the head"

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you get it. Welcome to TheHelper.net. Have fun!

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Darg said:
are the rip offs called Ryoko TD, or have they been renamed?

and how many trigger-based mechanisms did you put into the map to make sure people knew you made it?

I dunno honestly. I join the game and say
"This map is a FAKE version, and 2.4 is the latest real copy"

And people say "really?" and quit. Ha ha. I never went IN the game.

I thought the map protection would be enough.....

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Obviously not with Heavy Locker.

Someone could copy terrain, doodads, and export object data into a new map. Then write a wacky JASS trigger, let it compile it, then CnP that into the new map. Voila, no GUI triggers but an unprotected copy.

Demonfaze

8 yrs. Hell, it's been a long time.
Reaction score
I like Vexorian's Wc3 Map Optimizer better than Heavy Locker. You should give it a try.

Also allows a map preview thing so you can give a message to someone if they try to open the (protected version) map.

-Demonfaze

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
sorry lordloki, I thought you put the joke thing in there just to avoid getting flamed, didn't realise it was actually a joke hehe

on a side note, does anyone know if Elil's Vale of Dreams map has ever been ripped off?

He deliberately did not map protect it because he is against copy protection, and he also wanted a job at Blizzard too. The irony is, to my knowledge, nobody ever ripped his map off.

Unfortunately for Elil, rkhoo got the job he wanted at Blizzard. rkhoo made Skibi's TD for those who do not know.

FYI: The job was a level designer.

S

Starcraftman

I can relate to all mapmakers who have had their map ideas stolen, because I make maps in starcraft quite frequently. One day I was in a mapmaking clan and some kid wanted to show me a map. When I checked the map out I found out that another kids name was all over it! The kid was too careless to even change all the names in the map to his own! Since I dont believe in locking maps (I believe in others contributing with variations of their own) I dont lock mine, but I will if this stealing continues!

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
I think the number of variations of Wintermaul TD probably pushed most people over the edge in terms of hating map thieves.

If I were to list all the name variations of that map, the list would go down a very long way I assure you....

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
I've heard alot about Skibi's TD, is it really that good? I'll have to try it out some time.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
like I quietly mentioned in another thread, the maker got a job at blizzard based on that map.

BrokenX

Reaction score
Skibis td has been around for some time now, its fairly good if I remember correctly.

BrokenX

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.