The Beginning

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The Beginning

I first found the Blizzard Technical Support Forums link in the Box of Diablo 1. My best friend had the brand new Packard Bell computer that cost 2 grand back in the Diablo 1 days, a 200 Megahertz Monster and it had a Sound Glitch. It was the combo Modem/Sound Card that was not quite direct X compatible and that was his problem and they NEVER ISSUED AN UPDATE FOR IT. I thank them for that though, Packard Bell, or I never would have been The Helper and never would have found the Blizzard Tech Support Forums.

So I get on the Blizzard forums and there are people having problems everywhere. I post my specs and my problem and wait then PatN comes along, the Blizzard Tech Support Forum Rep. He gives me the cut and paste fix things and then says let him know if I more problems. So I try his stuff, and I am just learning Windows 95, this Direct X is all new and the things he had me do were under the hood type stuff, and him and I go back and forth on the forums trying to fix this problem. So I went through every avenue of support to try and fix my Packard Hell Sound problem but still no love. I noticed that the mass of people with problems were getting fixed, albeit slowly and only within Blizzard's working hours. So I started reading the forums since the info PatN had given me intrigued me. Watching the responses I started to learn how Windows worked and especially how it worked with Blizzard Games.

So I start to get it. This memory management stuff and virtual memory stuff. The Windows drivers links and the manual tweaks to just make your system run faster. Tweaks to optimize your dial up, get online to Diablo using AOL - which was huge.

I made two pages back in the pre-MVP days, and copied a huge page called Janna's FAQ and just put it on my site, with Janna's approval though. My AOL answer site was the number one site for the number one problem, I fixed it better than Blizzard. PatN would even refer to parts of my site or in some cases just link to it. However, he did not really have to do that much at that point because I was answering all the forums. I was not the only one though. I was the only one was dedicated to that forum at that time and was blazing the trail. PatN and I used to forum high five tag to switch from Official to Unofficial support after they closed. Me, and the other Helpers (Wargasm) goal was to answer all the questions till Blizzard came back online. We used to give it our best. Our support threads are legendary for those that saw them as they are archived nowhere. This was before the Internet Wayback Machine and in the Diablo 1 days. Starcraft was coming though......

Janna and I were friends a long time and unfortunately we had a falling out. Nothing to do with the website, thehelper.net or the MVP thing, Real Life Stuff (the author of Janna's FAQ and I got into business together) but Janna if you ever read this I love you man and regret our Parting. It was my fault my friend for not taking advantage of our opportunity and I still consider you my friend even though I am sure you hate me.

............... to be continued .......

and Work In Progress

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Janna was one of the original Helpers. He was the one who created the very first Tech FAQ for Diablo called Janna's FAQ.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
You may want to make a Janna's FAQ backup just in case that website goes down, or its domain expires.

Any link rot prevention measures are better than linking to the original source.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.