Sci/Tech The Car Powered By Air

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The search for sustainable, zero emission alternatives to oil-based fuels is a number one priority for carmakers.

And though hydrogen has many attractive properties there's still the problem of extraction, storage and transportation.

No such issue for this futuristic, cute little city car. It literally runs on thin air! Built by French firm MDI (standing for Motor Development International) the AIRPod is part of the firm's continuing research into zero emissions compressed air and dual fuel engines and the latest in a line of prototypes built by the firm.

A tricycle urban transport vehicle with seating for three adults and one child, the AIRPod is just over 2m long and 1.6m wide - 70mm shorter than a smart - and weighs just 220kg. The engine runs simply on compressed air, stored in a tank and good for a range of around 60 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
Haha, the design from the future! A neat idea though, far more practical than silly gargantuan hydrogen tanks >.<

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
They're probably designed so ugly for aerodynamics and light-weight. But as the technology gets more scalable, they should come out with better looking designs.

...hopefully.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> But as the technology gets more scalable, they should come out with better looking designs.
Or people would just get used to them, and they'd be 'normal'. :p

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Just because it's more efficient doesn't mean it has to look strange... weird people.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
I was like: "WTF:eek:"

Then I read the part where it said, compressed air:p

Manix

Reaction score
I'd say a compressed family mobile - minivan - true men's hell ... lol ... srsly why do they always look like shitty trashcans .... Who'd drive this crap ? o_O

Bout the technology - that's rly nice, It was bout time for us to stop destroyin the ozone layer, yeah like we've stopped that but like whatever... +1 good thing aint gonna hurt us.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
So, the car runs on compressed air, which is obtained with electricity, which is produced from ...

Oh, forget it. Just push for the hydrogen car already!

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
>So, the car runs on compressed air, which is obtained with electricity, which is produced from ...

Those were my thoughts exactly :).

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Same applies to nearly every renewable energy source.
They usually need a lot of energy to extract/make/separate, which requires electricity, which comes from..

Or they are just very energy-costly to build.

Exfyre

hmm...
Reaction score
save for the bicycle. No need for fuel, carries up to 12 people (for special bikes), and has no emissions. It's the wondrous solution to all our energy problems.

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
But if the electricity comes from renewable sources...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.