Sci/Tech "The code I’m still ashamed of"

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
If you write code for a living, there’s a chance that at some point in your career, someone will ask you to code something a little deceitful – if not outright unethical.

This happened to me back in the year 2000. And it’s something I’ll never be able to forget.

I wrote my first line of code at 6 years old. I’m no prodigy though. I had a lot of help from my dad at the time. But I was hooked. I loved it.

By the time I was 15, I was working part-time for my dad’s consulting firm. I built websites and coded small components for business apps on weekends and in the summer.

I was woefully underpaid. But as my dad still likes to point out, I got free room and board, and some pretty valuable work experience.

Read more here. (Medium)

Good read.

TL;DR - Guy wrote program to "market" a particular drug. This drug made someone suicide. Guy is uncomfortable. Guy has a sister who's taking the same drug, tells her to get off the drugs ASAP.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
how many people did said drug help? Its kind of hard to determine I a medication I the sole of someone suiciding.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
do you see the problem with people being outspoken regarding matters they are not remotely qualified to opine in?

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.