The Collaborative Map Making Project

N

NEDM

lllidan said:
Great! You can help with the terrain of your choice. I guess what we could do is if were all gonna start at once, they can make their continent layout leaving the other part ocean (we all know to use an epic full size map right?) and ill do the same. once done we can have them add their idea to the "official map". You cant import or copy terrain can you? If not we can just re-terrain it to the "official map". Shouldnt be too hard just terrain to add from looking at a screeny.

Wait, stop mapping please! :) We're mapping on the same map wich we will send around - i will post it here when the ashenvale part is done, and someone will continue on it :D So hold your mapping efforts a little while longer, Illidan ;):D Use them on the main draft (wich i will post here, soon) - I have actually already got my hands on a screenshot wich shows a little of the progress (units added for show only, picture directly from WE)

Link to picture ----> http://rapidshare.de/files/21050594/Gnoll_Wood.jpg.html

Edit: Sorry, but it was too big to thumbnail :( the dl from rapid is about 5-10 secs anyway, so don't worry ;):D

lllidan

Reaction score
can u post it as a thumbnail plz? too lazy to dl

jeez man just saw post time. i have like perfect timing just got back from afc and u made a post

EDIT

Oh well i dled anyway. it looks nice that can be an entrance to a gnoll territory in the deep woods. make sure that deep woods are covered with thick forest that are mazey like.

N

NEDM

lllidan said:
can u post it as a thumbnail plz? too lazy to dl

jeez man just saw post time. i have like perfect timing just got back from afc and u made a post

EDIT

Oh well i dled anyway. it looks nice that can be an entrance to a gnoll territory in the deep woods. make sure that deep woods are covered with thick forest that are mazey like.

I'll make atleast one town according to the picture, so, for the fun of it, i'll perhaps add a quest - perhaps :) Since it's for testing the map and such :D But, you know, anything for you guys <3 ;)

lllidan

Reaction score
i guess we decided to use one map. so it will be

Code:
First) NEDM
Second) Me
Third) Mullit
Fourth) Amfidament

After that we can send it to you to edit. if we like it well keep it.

PLZ REMEMBER NEDM TO SET MAP SIZE TO FULL WITH INITIAL TILE WATER (and the black citadel tileset would do fine, cause both cliffs are necesary :) )

N

NEDM

lllidan said:
i guess we decided to use one map. so it will be

Code:
First) NEDM
Second) Me
Third) Mullit
Fourth) Amfidament

After that we can send it to you to edit. if we like it well keep it.

PLZ REMEMBER NEDM TO SET MAP SIZE TO FULL WITH INITIAL TILE WATER (and the black citadel tileset would do fine, cause both cliffs are necesary :) )

I've been looking through the allies options, and it seems the best way to do this is to do the following...
A) you choose your hero in the beginning, and it can evolve in to all kinds of stuff - OR everyone start out with a peasant or w/e and it can then evolve into something
B) Anyhow, after that choose your "Moral Codex" in a dialogue window - simply put, you join either the good guys or the bad guys. Player 12) Brown is the evil, and player Player 11) Dark Green is the good guys - theese two may not be playable. Why not? Well, since they will have LOTS of npc's around the world, shops, guards, and almost all of them involved in quests. It would simply be impossible to have them played by computers. But wait! When you begin the game, you could join either The Empire (good guys) or Hordes of Darkness (bad guys), right? Exactly! So, then the evil will be playable! So, look at this...

If you choose evil;
Allies = Hordes of Darkness + any player you wish to ally using "ally1" or such commands :)!
Enemies = The Empire + any player you wish to unally using "unally1" or such commands :)!

If you choose good;
Allies = The Empire + any player you wish to ally using "ally1" or such commands :)!
Enemies = Hordes of Darkness + any player you wish to unally using "unally1" or such commands :)!

This will be the best solution, i promise!!!! Please, think about it :D

lllidan

Reaction score
first lets do the terrain

but i say we have the different starting modes to choose from by dialogs. that provides the most variety and includes all our ideas

The current play modes that have been posted are (as i rember)

~FFA
~6v6
~10v2
~Ally who you want

Pretty much this way would work best since theres nothing to settle (includes all our ideas.) I dont think there should be any "good" or "bad" (unless in 6v6 or 10v2) but just different forces. We could have evryone start out as neutral, and then alliances will be set deending on game mode choice.

B

begone77

woh lol so damn lost, when I get home I will read the posts and see if I can get back into the project, as in I am so freeking lost atm lol,

I will read the posts when I get home

N

NEDM

lllidan said:
first lets do the terrain

but i say we have the different starting modes to choose from by dialogs. that provides the most variety and includes all our ideas

The current play modes that have been posted are (as i rember)

~FFA
~6v6
~10v2
~Ally who you want

Pretty much this way would work best since theres nothing to settle (includes all our ideas.) I dont think there should be any "good" or "bad" (unless in 6v6 or 10v2) but just different forces. We could have evryone start out as neutral, and then alliances will be set deending on game mode choice.

Hmm...seems very good indeed but can we code it properly? I sure do hope so ;):D Ah well :) Ok, let's make it like this - on the terrain draft we're doing now (the foundation of the map) we'll have 2 forces - the players + the empire against the hordes of darkness. Then, when the terraining is done and the Terraining Stage is finished we will add it your way, ok? :) that way we can easily just play around in the terrain stage, whilst make the teams when we get to the coding part :)

Oh and by the way maddog the terraining is going great! Done about 15-20% already! Here's a screenshot of the game progress (still the gnoll picture from earlier)
Link to picture ----> http://rapidshare.de/files/21050594/Gnoll_Wood.jpg.html

lllidan

Reaction score
we'll have 2 forces - the players + the empire against the hordes of darkness

yes but this could only be for team games, for FFA there can be no force name.

As for the coding i can do with a couple others. Basically well ahev starter units/buildings depending on the type of play. well use triggers to set alliances and locations. seems simple to me. once terrain is done well do this. whoever wants to help me say so after terrain is done.

N

NEDM

lllidan said:
yes but this could only be for team games, for FFA there can be no force name.

As for the coding i can do with a couple others. Basically well ahev starter units/buildings depending on the type of play. well use triggers to set alliances and locations. seems simple to me. once terrain is done well do this. whoever wants to help me say so after terrain is done.

I will actually take the oppurtunity to tell you that i'd be more than glad to help you out as much as i can. Even though i'm not AceHart at these things, i can do a lot :) So after i've done the terraining in a few days perhaps, i'll pass it on and eventually we'll have a finished map! :) (can't wait)

lllidan

Reaction score
kool but b4 u finish two things:

1) PLEASE use the black citadel tileset as we need those cliffs, and only use TWO tiles for Azeroth (theres a limit to the tile types used we can limit 2 to each continent (roughly))

2) can u post a screenie b4 u actually finish the terrain? o and plz put it as a thumbnail not something u dl thx.

lllidan

Reaction score
sicne were using only one map first we gotta do the terrain. I guess you could do some coding for different game modes if you want (not too hard) if not ill do it after terrain.

N

NEDM

Amfidamant said:
Hmm.. Just one question. Am i goign to have my "continent to make " of some kind or just finishing touches?

You will make your part of the terraining, the Sunken Ruins areas, completely from scratch, with doodads, creep camps and so on :) Just watch how i did it ;)

Mullit

Reaction score
just thought id mention please people dont use the ugly cliffs on normal terrain. if you want to make a cliff or something use the 'raise' tool then just add a rock tile and use pathing blockers. id hate to see this project have horrible cliffs and ramps where its not necessary. cliffs obviously need to be used for big walls and such but dont use them otherwise.

lllidan

Reaction score
can you PLEASE post a screenshot b4 u finish NEDM????

EDIT
alright i have been thinking about that map and came up with this. We dont know exactly what were doing. We say "ya lets have a um..peasent,ya!..that um starts off doing nothing and promotes. Oh and you have to kill each other to win." We dont even know ho wwere going to set thing up. i say not to go along with the peasant idea, because then were starting an LOAP map, and we dont want that (as NEDM said theres a lack of clear objectives).

So I took the liberty of thinking up an idea thta pretty much combines a lot of our ideas. You can accept it, or hate it, your choice. Here's what I have in mind. It's basically a Kingdom/Empire War.

On the map are different bases colorcoded. They represent different races as follows:
human
night elf
orc
undead
naga
blood elves
demon.

I was thinking to start out with different forces for each race to let players know what they are choosing (they'll be 2 for each race). the force DOES NOT set an alliance, it merely indicates the race and starting location. I think we should do this: Each player starts out with a base at their location with walls, 2 towers at each entrance, and strong doors that can be opened and closed by a chat message. Their base initially spawns a squadron of fighters every thirty or so seconds depending on what race they are. By collecting resources they can upgrade the # of towers, what type of towers, and what squads are made every periodic evnt.
The players can explore around and fight different creep bases around their continent. The bases can be based on where they are (eg spider lairs in ashenvale, infernal dungeons in kalimdor, etc). If a player slays the leader of that particular base, the base becomes his, and a unit type of the creep base killed will now start spawning there. They can then upgrade what is spawned there 3 times (eg spiderling, nerubian warrior, nerubian webmaster). After a while they can travel by foot, waygate, or sail to other player bases and destroy them taking them over. While they do this, they must defend their base(s) with units and towers. As with creeps, if someone successfully defeats an enemy player, that base is theirs. The goal is obvious I think.

This way all types of play mentioned earlier can work y'know? So what do you think?

Just a sidenote: we are all going to review and edit each others terraining. no one person alone will be responsible ofr a continent.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.