General The Curious Incident of the Dog Suicide Bridge

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
overtourn-bridge-uk.jpg

Since the 1960s, dogs have been jumping off on a bridge near Overtoun House in south-west Scotland to their deaths at a supposed rate of nearly one per month. Why? Well, no one knows. Theories about the cause of these bizarre occurrences abound, with no one able to provide a definitive answer as to what is causing the strange dog deaths.

Overtoun House was built in the nineteenth century and given to the people of the local area in the will of Lord Overtoun in 1939, under the conditions that it not be used for “controversial meetings, noxious practices, or drinking”. But this has not prevented canine suicide. Since the war, the house has been used by the British military, as a maternity hospital and as a government experiment facility.

Most recently, and slightly ironically for the canines, it has been a Centre for Hope and Healing.

The area has long been thought to be haunted, and in 1994 a father threw his child off the bridge, claiming the infant to be the Anti-Christ before himself attempting to jump off the bridge. In fact, the sinister background of Overtoun can be traced directly back to Celtic mythology: it is said to inhabit an area of Scotland which is “thin”, i.e. where our world crosses with that of heaven, allowing spirits to cross over into our Earthly domain.

Last edited:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Holy crap! Hmm Why don't they putting up a fence or something?

FireCat

Reaction score
They could put a big fence on both sides!

wrote an article featuring reports of horrified pet owners who walked their dog over the bridge, when suddenly the dog would, without warning, leap over the bridge, falling 50 ft to the rocky bottom below. Perhaps even more disturbing, there are reports of “second timers”...of the few dogs who have survived the fall, some jumped over the same bridge again.
Don't you feel a "chill inside your bones?"

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
first paragraph was very interesting

The fourth one was my favorite, though not very well explained.

Also the fourth post, because Cheshire has, again, seemed to have made something up to post.

Varine

Reaction score
Your quote is no where in the article, like usual.

Zakyath

Reaction score
The fourth one was my favorite, though not very well explained.

I guess that depends on what you're looking for. Dogs jumping down a bridge sounds very fascinating in my mind. Ghost stories? not so much

Varine

Reaction score
I guess that depends on what you're looking for. Dogs jumping down a bridge sounds very fascinating in my mind. Ghost stories? not so much

By the end of the article it's pretty clear that isn't what's happening.

Varine

Reaction score
The first properly reported death from the bridge was in 1995. The owner Donna Cooper was widely interviewed and featured in the press, but since then no dog deaths have been reported. In fact, Skeptoid reported last year that there had only been six reported cases in history with no other person in the area wishing to offer a different figure in response.

FireCat

Reaction score
"Some might not report it at all. Just saying" Even with 6 dogs that's still too many!
Well, why in the hell did they jumped? For fun? So, again, It's still a mystery!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.