The Dark Knight Rises

MrBrooks

Brooooooooooown!
Reaction score
I really hope Batman: TDKR doesn't flop. I mean it shouldn't do, look at Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Both of them were great films, especially TDK because of Heath Ledger. No one could of pulled off The Joker's characteristics better than him; his character was portrayed faultlessly in my eyes. It's a shame he died, he was a great actor throughout his career. Anyway I can't wait to see The Dark Knight Rises. I'm not overly keen on Anne Hathaway playing Catwoman but seeing Liam Neeson's name in the cast list as Ra's Al Ghul kind of made me shrug off the fact that Anne plays Catwoman.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Yeah, but I have faith in Nolan and the crew, ha.
Heath Ledger was exceptional as the Joker, but I think Tom Hardy will be able to give a great performance too.
If you don't know of his acting, check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXwf_xEAtPI&

Eh, I don't think anyone's keen on Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. She's not very... Catwoman-like... but again, I think they will make it work.

MrBrooks

Brooooooooooown!
Reaction score
I too have faith in Nolan and the others. I can't say I've ever seen a film with Tom Hardy in but the acting in that clip was pretty good, I have to admit. I wonder how well he'll pull off the Bane character.

thewrongvine

Reaction score

Attachments

• MV5BMTY0MTc2OTUwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjk4NjQxNw@@._V1._SX640_SY947_.jpg
    MV5BMTY0MTc2OTUwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjk4NjQxNw@@._V1._SX640_SY947_.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 394

MrBrooks

Brooooooooooown!
Reaction score
The trailer is outstanding. You can see new vehicles, equipment etc. I can't wait for this to be released.

Edit: It turns out that Liam Neeson isn't in Batman:TDKR. It was rumoured months ago that he was but it turns out he isn't in it. Major sadface.jpg but oh well. Tom Hardy is a phenomenal actor.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
See, THAT trailer painted a completely different picture of the film, in my opinion. And now, I definitely approve of what I saw :D

thewrongvine

Reaction score
[youtube]g8evyE9TuYk[/youtube]
There's a storm coming...
Queue epic music...
New trailer, and it will be showing at the Avengers premiere (which I'll be seeing in two days, :)).
This trailer wasn't as amazing as the previous one, but still pretty great. I mean, any new content for this is.
Bane is looking pretty good in my opinion. It seems to me they made his voice a bit more clear, probably from people complaining that it was too muffled, which is kinda eh, it's annoying when people complain about things like that, not being able to hear his beast-like voice.
Joseph Gordon Levitt also seems to be getting a good amount of screen time, I'm interested in what they will do with his character.
Anne Hathaway as Catwoman is slowly fitting into place for me. I mean I personally still don't see it was a purfect match, but I trust Nolan, and she seems to be doing fine.

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
sadly i didnt get to see the new trailer when i watched the avengers :( but still the storm is coming and thats the movie :D

thewrongvine

Reaction score

Exclusive trailer, saw it with Spiderman in theaters ha.
New big line for Batman already: "I'm not afraid. I'm angry."
So excited! Got my tickets for the marathon, 9 hours in the theaters starting the 19th to the 20th.

EDIT:

And another new trailer! "Journey" trailer featuring all 3 films.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Fishy fishy pasta pasta!

[9/10]
The Dark Knight Rises was just as I expected, and it was fantastic. I went and saw the marathon with the premiere so everything was fresh in my mind, and I could really see how the film and its characters have evolved throughout each film. This is a must-see, especially if you want a satisfying conclusion to this great legend.
The first thing I'll say is that this film is very different than its predecessors, at least for me. The whole feel of the movie has changed a lot, though I won't say too much about it so you can see for yourself. Both the first two and this one are great, but Rises tells a story on a much larger scale, and as always with Nolan, it is pretty epic. The plot comes finally to an end, and the writing is able to bring in all ties from all three movies, which isn't an easy task for any series of films or books. You could say it does get a bit muddled at times (I wouldn't say so), but that's because there's simply so much to show in such a short time (I think if they had even more time than the 2:45, it would have been better).
Still, it's the characters people want to see, and every single one delivers. There really is a lot to talk about, and plenty of reviewers will go into detail about each character and actor, but I must say that everyone did a job well done. Tom Hardy as Bane was fantastic, a worthy foe after the Joker. Voice issues aside, he had such a great presence to him. Scenes between him and Batman were shocking (my mouth actually dropped open in some of them). Any doubts about Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle have disappeared, as with any other characters.
The film is action packed, the most of the Batman trilogy. The fight scenes are awesome and again, I love that we get to see Gotham on such a big scale. The sounds and score contribute so much to this, thanks to Hans Zimmer, and is chilling as always.
Overall, this may not have been the ultimate masterpiece, but it was very hard to match what The Dark Knight set in 2008. Still, this film delivers and I think the best thing about it is that it brings the story round full circle. There is just so much going on, and things could have been improved on, but in the 2 hours and 45 minutes of this film, you get a satisfying conclusion to this amazing trilogy.

Here is someone's nice review about the film:
There are so many things to love about this movie! Critics call it a masterpiece, and it may just be one! It’s one of the best movies since The Dark Knight and just a spectacular movie of the year in general.

I know you guys have your opinions, but a lot of these are off because of the reasoning behind them. Like the guy earlier who said there was no theme. WRONG - you didn’t see the movie. There are great themes all over the place. The guy who the the plot was convoluted: YES but that just makes me want to see it again and again to catch what I missed. Plot holes? Night becoming day too quickly? To me of this film - it’s a small nitpick out of all the things this movie got right!

Oh and just to let you all know - Yes I love all of Nolan’s films, but I wouldn’t consider myself a Nolanite. Yes Batman is my favorite superhero, but that doesn’t make me bias against something like Avengers, for example. I had fun watching that movie. Above all else I’m a FILM fan (an amateur filmmaker) so I like a FILM when it’s good. I don’t care if it was Batman as a lead or Antman. If a film is good or bad I’ll say it.

That being said: The film was definitely the best I’ve seen all year yet (sans maybe Moonrise Kingdom, and we’ll see about the oscar bait coming out soon)! Definitely one of the best superhero movies of our time. AND it makes for a small snapshot of our current economic crises and the state of the world post 9/11 (terrorists). To say this film isn’t deep even if you don’t like it is WRONG. This movie is amazing here are the reasons why:

Catwoman: Catwoman's interaction with Bruce Wayne in the beginning of the movie were deep and satisfying. When she asks: “What are you pretending to be?” Bruce says: “Bruce Wayne” I just love how he’s telling the truth here and she doesn’t really know it. Definition of subtlety right there. Bruce Wayne is alway pretending when he’s not Batman in public. That’s been one of the central themes in the entire franchise. And that’s the tip of the iceberg. Another theme running though the move is privilege vs the poor. When she says “You’re going to regret living so large and leaving so little for the rest of us” we start to sense this theme running though out the whole movie. And it gets way deeper than that. Their interaction also leads quite nicely to the end. Love the betrayal, and I love how just like in the comics, Batman sees more to her then even she does. And he was right.

Bane: Although not as over the top as the Joker, this guy was deeper overall. He had the greatest lines in the movie. And yes sometimes you can’t hear him but for the most part he was scary. Joker was a loose cannon scary but Bane was a very calculated scary. Bane is a schemer and in the end he got more destruction out of Gotham than the Joker ever could. He also represented the privilege vs poor theme and our current crises in the state of the world today: economics. He was punishing all the richest in Gotham while trying to give hope to those who don’t belong in the top 1 %, even if it’s a false hope. He freed all the inmates (lowest class of citizens) and made them the rulers of Gotham. During the big fight when Bane breaks Batman he illustrates this in a subtle way: “You adopted the darkness, I was born and raised in it.” When he talks to Bruce after he broke him, in the pit, he then says it more clearly and I’m paraphrasing: “You were born of privilege, you’ll never climb that wall.” Another great thing about Bane was his humanity. You would’ve never seen Joker choke up like Bane did towards the end of this film for a true love. That just made him a deeper villain. Loved that he had a backstory and that that lead to a great twist (I didn’t see it coming even with all the rumors that Tate was Talia and me reading the Bat comics).

John Blake: awesome. Awesome. AWESOME. Now this guy was a realistic hero to contrast Batman’s super heroics. His sense of justice was great and his connection to Bruce is heartfelt. I love his lines about hiding the pain of a parents death with a smile. His scenes really represented how not just Batman, but all of the good in the city were trying to rise up and solve this massive problem. Which is of course, realistic. And yeah, the whole movie lead up to him finding the bat-cave at the end! How exciting is that! I’d give anything to watch a Blake movie. Either as Batman or a stand alone Robin. His actions are really inspiring though out the whole film. Love his interaction with Gordon too! I love that experience and rookie relationship.

Batman himself: Yes this is Bale’s best performance as Batman yet. His Bat voice is finally decent and him as a character is fully realized. The fact that in the beginning of the movie he’s beat up and busted is extremely realistic and a tasteful decision on Nolan’s part. A poster earlier said that there was no character development in the movie: WHAT? Did we watch the same move??? Bruce as a character grows way more in this film than any other. Bruce’s character grows immensely during his pit (prison) sequences. He was suicidal through out the whole movie and once he realized that fear of death is not a weakness everything comes through for him. He becomes a stronger person with more drive. An earlier Poster said that he should've died, but I disagree. If it had ended with his death - fine, but the fact that he lived was a great decision because this character needed to move on with his life and start living it. He deserves it and the filmmakers needed to show that in the end, good will always prevail. That’s what his survival means, that’s why he climbs the wall. Batman in costume is kept to a minimum and that was a good decision on Nolan’s part. It made Batman’s appearance have way more impact. In my theater everybody cheered EVERY TIME Batman was on screen. And in the end, even though it was an ensemble movie, it’s all really about people who are all similar to Bruce in several ways, it all ties back to him in a deep way. I also love his interactions with Alfred in this one, it’s just sad and emotional.

The fact that the movie was so deep BUT it was still an amazing popcorn movie at the same time. Everyone in my theater was cheering whenever Batman came on screen! Even when Bruce Wayne came back after climbing the wall! His sequences in the pit (prison) were great, from him getting healed to when they were chanting the rise mantra - it was really heartfelt. Everyone in my theater cheered when he jumped that ledge. The cheers were immense, there was a few big laughs and the entertainment value was spectacular! I had an amazing time in the theater not just because I laughed and had fun, like in the Avengers, but because I laughed, had fun, I had a deep personal connection to the characters, and I loved the weighty themes. You’ll never get that with a superhero movie on that level again I assure you. Watchmen tried but even that just couldn’t hold a candle to this, I mean this is a snapshot of our times not the 80s. I’m glad Nolan was smart enough to put these themes in a superhero movie, it goes to show that people these days can have fun in a smart movie, not just a popcorn flick, if they give it a chance. Sure you gotta trick the audience a bit these days into thinking they’re going into a movie that won’t mean anything, but it truly does. Thank you Nolan, you have made my year. Someone needs to say it :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1345836/board/nest/201995812?p=3

When more people have seen this, then we can discuss with spoilers, :)

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Not having seen the previous 2 films, this one wasn't much to me. But that's probably because I had no idea what half the stuff was about.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Hm, then I do recommend seeing the first two (and then this again), ha.

It's definitely one of my favorite series now.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
I still haven't seen it yet. :p But Wow such a review you wrote.

rose jasmin

Reaction score
It is a good movie. I have watched this movie so many time. I love the role of all character. The story seems to be good in this movie.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.