The Decline of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
Warcraft IV basically is a free downloadable expansion? Do you just get it and dump it in your WC3 folder? Oh also, would previous TFT maps work in EOE?

adeoin

Reaction score
how did they actually manage to make a whole new expansion like that I thought it was just a campaign.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Nope, you'll have to download a client I believe, unless they figured out how to avoid that (I haven't kept up with what the programming team is doing). I don't believe it will be backwards compatible, I have my own team for models and concept art and I don't really care about what anyone else is doing, but when I finish with the cinematics I'll probably be updating the more popular maps to work with it, and if I have my way I have a few plans to incorporate some new online maps encoding the resources into the main MPQ that otherwise would be impossible to do online because of file size limits and whatnot. We'll be running the online on our servers. I think we'll compile an installer, but we're a ways off from completion yet so we haven't brought it up.

And yes it will be free for three reasons. One, Brandon and I have the intention of incorporating into an actual company after the release of a private game we're developing and would like to have the name around in the gaming community. Two, if we charged people to buy it would be way less popular and would cause issues with the first reason, and secondly we would have to determine a pay rate for everyone on the team which will get incredibly complicated because of the different countries, and then it'll turn into a game of 'I got, they got' kind of thing because everyone will think they did the most important thing. And third, we have absolutely no rights to use Blizzard's engine for profitable use. I don't even want to accept donations because of legal implications that could arise from anyone making profit using this as a source (although I think I got outvoted), and if we sold it, we would have issues with copyrights for use of the name Warcraft, for using Blizzard's assets (even though everything we make will be our own, the use of their engine and file systems is still an issue), and possible for concepts of their storyline that are protected, although that one would be a little harder to do but I'm sure their legal team can beat me in figuring it out.

punwisp

Reaction score

To be realistic, this isn't going to put a new spark in the community and refill its losses, its been downgrading for years and right now its at its lowest point. Any map, regardless if its a Mod (which thats what The Edge of Eternity would be considered). It won't respark things, it will just be another popular project, least for a while. Theres quite a few, and most try to do it to replenish things. But its not going to happen.

And once SC2 comes out, wc3 will be even in a more worse condition. Mainly because most mappers will switch over, SC2's editor is so much more powerful, and just as friendly, people will take advantage of it. So my guess estimate is roughly maybe a month, possibly 2 after SC2's release, the population on battle.net will be sliced in half, it would be lucky if it had more.

Kingbotz or w/e and his team are doing a good job on the project, but if they expect it to revive wc3, its not going to.

I actually think a very good route to take is remake wc3, or there wc4 project on SC2, not only would it be a hell of a lot easier (Except triggers). But they will be able to do things far better quality.

Look at warcraft 2, it was pretty popular, until Wc3 came out, now wc2 has what? Couple hundred players? If that?

History often repeats itself.

Warcraft 3's fall is inevitable.

Varine

Reaction score
I never said revive it to what it was a few years ago. Given that you'll need to buy three games for the full Starcraft 2 enviroment, and it wouldn't be surprising if it gets pushed back again to finish it all, I don't think it would be unlikely that many people continue to work in Warcraft. There is no point in waiting for SCII to come out because it would be put on hold indefinitely and would require far more time to complete and would defeat one of the central points of our making it as it would just be a campaign, not something considered an expansion and would likely be forgotten about shortly after the release of it like a lot of the other campaigns released for Warcraft.

kerykeion

Reaction score
You guys are fucking retarded. Bot hosting is the BEST thing that ever hapenned to wc3.

First of all, whenever you want to play a POPULAR game that many people play, you can find it in the blink of an eye. Nearly every game has a bot hosting it.

Second, tons of people have problems hosting games. Bots have solved this problem for them because now they can join a clan that uses a bot or join bot-hosted games.

Third, if the community begins to decline, less games will be hosted other than dota. The bots keep the community alive for those who can't host. Take Gaia's Retaliation ORPG for example. Very hard to find a regularly hosted game BUT the clan has a bot that hosts CROSS-REALM and is always up and making new games. I can play Gaia's WHENEVER I want without waiting for someone to host it for me.

Fourth, BNET SUCKS THE BIG ONE. The inherent delay BUILT INTO Bnet is HORRID. About to die? Pot! Lag? Die! FUCK YOU BNET! Want to go this way? Click there! Wait 3 seconds! NOBODY plays DotA or any competitive games from regular hosts because people HATE the delay. Bots nearly completely NEGATE this delay.

And some TARDS have the nerve to complain about bots ...

Varine

Reaction score
You can decrease the delay pretty easily using some programs.... and the delay is maybe .25 seconds to keep everyone on the speed.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay.

Thank you all for your inputs. :)

Unfortunately, they were also the last ones to mark this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.