The DOTA Template

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The DOTA Template

Once upon a time, a long time ago, there was DOTA (Defense of the Ancients). It took WC3 like a storm. Everyone was doing a DOTA map and everyone had questions. For some reason, the mods of the WC3 Editor Forums did not like the DOTA questions, as well as many of the other people in the forum. So what did we do, did we start a DOTA forum? No, we banned DOTA talk in the Discussion areas.

To this day, I think this was one of the daggers in the heart of getting the site popular with the General Public rather than an elite group of WC3 Mapper Helpers. However, I did not do WC3 Mapping and I was not about to go up against the powerful Mods that seemed to hate DOTA posts especially when I knew Jack about it. Maybe it was just DOTA general discussion in the WC3 Editor Help forum but either way, nowadays we would create a forum for it.

Then Ace and SDRyoko created the DOTA Template. The great shut up to all the DOTA questions. If you were asking a question about the template, then that was different than a regular DOTA question. It was not DOTA, it was the the DOTA template. In the end, people came for the Template and not to discuss DOTA - they did that elsewhere.

Still one of the most downloaded maps in the Map Database (even I downloaded it). Probably horribly outdated this Tutorial Map is, as far as I know, the best resource to creating your own DOTA that there is today.

The DOTA Template: http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/maps.php?view=137

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that shutting off discussion of something popular is pretty much never a good idea. There is a reason why people wish to discuss it as much as they do...

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
the problem was people would come in and say "I want this spell from dota" with no description of what the spell did - if they said "I wanted an AOE stun that goes off after 2 seconds" or something like that, then it would be fine to ask the question - also it was usually more of a "I want it" than a "how do I do this" question.. it's the WEHZ, not the "lemme do this for you"

WildTurkey

Previously known as giv_me_rep
Reaction score
There are loads of these spell request maps in the forums. I even stole some and requested some back in the day.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.