General The End of Chinese Manufacturing and Rebirth of U.S. Industry

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
There is great concern about China’s real-estate and infrastructure bubbles. But these are just short-term challenges that China may be able to spend its way out of. The real threat to China’s economy is bigger and longer term: its manufacturing bubble.

By offering subsidies, cheap labor, and lax regulations and rigging its currency, China was able to seduce American companies to relocate their manufacturing operations there. Millions of American jobs moved to China, and manufacturing became the underpinning of China’s growth and prosperity.

But rising labor costs, concerns over government-sponsored I.P. theft, and production time lags are already causing companies such as Dow Chemicals, Caterpillar, GE, and Ford to start moving some manufacturing back to the U.S. from China. Google recently announced that its Nexus Q streaming media player would be made in the U.S., and this put pressure on Apple to start following suit.

But rising costs and political pressure aren’t what’s going to rapidly change the equation. The disruption will come from a set of technologies that are advancing at exponential rates and converging.

Read more here.

To be honest, I'm happy with this. I miss the old "Made in Taiwan", "Made in USA", etc. product labels. And I'm really scared to use any Chinese products made in the mainland China. Those products, well, they have a reputation of exploding...

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I had a discussion about this with my friend, and this article mostly agrees with what I said. Huzzah...?

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
But that doesn't mean US companies would move back to the US. Right?

And I'm really scared to use any Chinese products made in the mainland China. Those products, well, they have a reputation of exploding...
I'm not a bit surprised that you feel like that. Well, almost everything breaks and explode in china.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
You can still wear the clothes from there right? They are not gonna expl

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
But that doesn't mean US companies would move back to the US. Right?

agreed - the ford fiesta plant was opened in Mexico for example, not china, but not the U.S. either, and I can't say that Mexico is a great place to build quality machinery either.. now for those in Europe, the European fiesta plant is in Koln, so you will be getting better cars.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.