The Fallout Thread! - and Fallout 3

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Never played Fallout?

Fallout.jpg

Fallout: Into the Wasteland

Fallout is an old, classic RPG game in which, as you probably guessed, the story takes place after a nuclear war ravaged the United States and all of the world. Due to lasting radiations, some survivors reside in vaults.

fallout2.jpg

In such a world, surviving is all what matters. Clusters of people are grouping together to survive, and they don't mind everyone else.

Background​
(Taken from Wikipedia)​

The background story of Fallout (the first of the series) involves a "what-if" scenario in which the history of the United States in the game diverges from reality following World War II. The federal government organizes the states into 13 commonwealths to try and ensure economic stability, but this only divides the U.S. as the commonwealths put their own ambitions before those of the nation as a whole. Tensions rise worldwide over the next century due to an increasing energy crisis caused by the rapid exhausting of petroleum reserves, leading to a war between Europe and the Middle East in 2052 as Middle Eastern countries drastically raise oil prices. In 2066, China invades the U.S. at Alaska for resources, and in 2077, the war reaches its climax with a devastating nuclear exchange between the two opposing countries, resulting in the post-apocalyptic world in which the game takes place. The exchange, lasting only hours, became known as the Great War; it is left unknown which side launched the first missile.

Before the nuclear exchange took place, great underground Vaults were constructed across America, supposedly to protect the populace from the dangers of radiation. Although over 400,000 would be needed to protect the entire nation, only 122 were constructed. This is because the Vaults were not intended to save humanity; rather, they were social experiments being conducted by the United States government. Most vaults featured some variable to test how certain things influence people (and presumably the personal characteristics of the vault's occupants).

Each installment of the series takes these facts as the context to the subsequent adventures: much of the landscape the player travels through is scarred with wreckage as well as radiation. These effects are not limited to the environment. Mutated survivors - those who lived through the attack outside a vault - are often physically unrecognizable as human. Even livestock, mostly represented by cows known as "brahmin," are rarely if ever seen with fewer than two heads.

Vaults​

The vaults were officially designed by the Vault-Tec Corporation as public bomb shelters capable of supporting up to 1000 people; each was equipped with water purification and food production machines, allowing the inhabitants to survive indefinitely within the vaults in the event of a nuclear war. Unofficially, however, the vaults were also large scale sociological experiments. For example, one vault had only inhabitants under 15 years of age, another had a completely male population, another was designed to open six months after sealing, and so on. Most vaults were designed in the same three-level layout, and with the exception of Vault 0, contained the entrance and medical center on Level 1; general housing for the vault's inhabitants on Level 2; and the vault command center, library, recreational room and storage lockers on Level 3, the lowest level. Each vault had an Overseer, a person who acted as the leader of the vault. His/her workstation was an elevated platform, equipped with two miniguns and various controls.

Maps​

Fallout 1

fallout1mapsmall.jpg

Fallout 2

f2-worldmap.png

------------------------------------------------------------------

And now, after years of waiting, a sequel will be out this month.

Fallout 3​

(Taken from Wikipedia)​

Fallout 3 is an action role-playing game currently under development by Bethesda Game Studios. It will be the third major game in the Fallout series, which has also spawned the spin-offs Fallout Tactics and Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. The setting of Fallout 3 will take place in the year 2277, 36 years after the setting of Fallout 2 and 200 years after the nuclear war that devastated the game's world. The game will be released in North America on October 28, 2008, in Europe and Australia on October 30, 2008, in the United Kingdom on October 31, 2008, and in Japan on December 4, 2008.

--------------------------------------

Discuss!

Spoilers are to be inside spoiler tags.

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
I haven't tried Fallout 1/2, but definitely gonna try the third one. Looks bloody awesome, and is released on my birthday. :rolleyes: Also, it kinda reminds me of Bioshock for some reason.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well it does, because of the gameplay.

But, as you probably guessed, it is taken from the previous fallouts. In these, you had aimed shots and stuff, and special skills just like in the third. Also, the little character representing skills and feats looks exactly the same. :)

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fallout 3 coming out tomorrow.

Get ready ;)

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I saw some shots of Fallout 3 a while back, and I cried (on the inside, of course...) at the difference from the first one.

fallout-3-2.jpg

fallout-3-facts-that-could-save-your-life-20070701023902318.jpg

Looks crazy fun!

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I bought the game.

Seriously, if you were planning to "maybe" buy it... you have no choice. It's a no-brainer. This game is awesome. Everything that's about it is great. Simply.

Especially if you've played the previous fallout games. It's respecting the spirit. The gameplay is awesome. The story is nice too.

It's epic. Not a waste of money, definitely not. :)

Jaujarahje

I have now changed this in the User CP
Reaction score
I just beat the main story line (went straight for main, did very little side quests) while being good, it was epic, so much fun one of the best games i've ever played
I don't suggest doing main storyline only, go out have fun and do side quests, took me a day and a half to rush through story

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A day and a half?

Wow, you sir are fast.
Since I'm mainly doing the sidequests, I haven't even found the radio signal yet after 8 hours of play. :p

Jaujarahje

Reaction score
Yea I was at my moms for the weekend only so I just wanted to finish it cause I'm one of the people who loves going through the story lines lol
1 Thing I kinda didn't like was no boss battles (Well atleast none on the main storyline)

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm obsessed with big things.

My main objective in the game is not to clear it. It's to find the Gatling Laser. :D

DONT tell me where it is!!!

Jaujarahje

Reaction score
Never found it but I think I know how to get it but since you said not to tell i won't :p

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
Im thinking of getting this game...is it really worth it?

I haven't played 1 or 2.

Jaujarahje

Reaction score
You don't need to play 1 or 2 to know whats going on
but if you like to know the back story just go to the website and read about it
I'd say this is worth buying but for a warning when you beat the game it restarts, as in you don't keep playing your character you start over
But with that said there are also hundreds of different endings to unlock
Overall yes buy it, its a really fun game

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Im thinking of getting this game...is it really worth it?

I haven't played 1 or 2.

So I bought the game.

Seriously, if you were planning to "maybe" buy it... you have no choice. It's a no-brainer. This game is awesome. Everything that's about it is great. Simply.

Especially if you've played the previous fallout games. It's respecting the spirit. The gameplay is awesome. The story is nice too.

It's epic. Not a waste of money, definitely not. :)

:rolleyes:

Cheesy

some fucker
Reaction score
The map picture for Fallout 2 is broken. And thanks to this thread, I am now convinced. I am DEFINITELY getting this game.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
> The map picture for Fallout 2 is broken.

Thanks, I will fix it tomorrow.

> Never found it but I think I know how to get it

Actually, I got one now.

Was actually very funny the way I got it. Spotted a couple Brotherhood Paladins in front of the Washinton Monument and "Accidently" clicked "FIRE" with my Fat Man, aiming towards them.

Nothing remained of their bodies. Only 2 Gatling Lasers, 2 Brotherhood armor sets and their ammos. Loot. :p

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some kind of Multiplayer has been implemented, though I don't know how it works. It's named "Live", probably in connection with Xbox Live, Windows Live, and such.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.