The first part of the first chapter...

WrathMonkey

Reaction score
I realize you won't understand it, and don't worry, I haven't written the next part to make it make sense. I'm just looking for commentary on the way I wrote it.. I like it, and yet I feel a little weird about it. Also, I tried really hard to describe the setting, and the way the adolescent felt about everything happening. When you read it, I'd like to hear what you think the environment looks like, an idea of what you think it might be, and how you thought the adolescent felt (see bottom for Microsoft Works version.. it looks better in that form):

His vision was blurred by the uneasiness of one coming to a realization of everything around him. His brownish hair fell into his eyes, further hampering his view before him. He brushed it away, slowly though, for what was on display was not something easily understood. Red penetrated every corner of his vision, monochromatic and yet differing in its tints and shades. The scarlet clouds rumbled with the anger of the gods, thunder crackling wildly above him. There was no sky to be seen, but worse yet, there was no discernible objects of recognition on the ground either. He stumbled to his feet atop a pinnacle of maroon rock, gasping and nearly falling off the edge of what held him so high up in the air, a thousand feet above the desolate red earth below. There was barely twenty-feet’s width of flat rock, and this was balanced atop a thinner pinnacle. To his left a man stood proudly next to him, and to his right sat another, leaning against a five-foot tall rocky outcrop on the level surface near the edge.
Cards fell to his feet, one by one, from the grasps of the man to his right. The pictures on them morphed into wicked beasts, as each lay next to the brown-haired adolescent only to be covered by another. He looked up into the eyes of the one to his right, and there was a strong sense of understanding in his unknowing fervor. He shook violently, and spun around to gape at his surroundings. The sundered earth was pockmarked with monolithic stones that were adorned with luminescent green crevices. Neon, crystalline objects thrust forth on all sides from the twisted, tilted obelisks. He looked to the one to his right, his large, stalwart face shaking in obvious disappoint with a sarcastic smile. This smile curled upwards, accompanied by a chuckle. The adolescent looked to his left, and the tall, pale man grinned at him, patting his back. The light-skinned one looked back up to the destruction. His billowing black cloak fluttered madly in the gust so high up, and his pointed, yellow spaulders only added more angles to him. His nose seemed as pointed as the shoulder pieces, and his eyebrows were pronounced.
The one in the middle shuffled backwards slightly, and no noise came as the mouth moved in reply on the pale one. The adolescent stumbled as his foot missed the edge, pulling his entire body back over the edge. In the seemingly slowed time that his body became property of gravity, he watched the faces of the other two twist into separate shapes, one surprised and alarmed, the other laughing madly. He shook his head as he slowly fell back, grabbing the air around him to no avail. As his body descended, all of his fears subsided and he fell silent. He fell forever; for an infinite, uncountable amount of time. He knew this to be true, but he still hit the ground. His mind jolted into reality as it slammed against the top of his splintering skull, his eyes wide in shock. What happened to me? he heard a voice call out in the split-second of consciousness he knew he had left. What happened? it called out.
Then, without realizing it, he cried out, “Nothing!”

~*~

Attachments

• story1.wps.doc
    4.4 KB · Views: 178

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Nicely written. Revise it a bit before progressing with your next chapter though. When I read your introduction, I was expecting to be utterly confused, but you described the settings quite well. Your character seems confused about the situation and is only motived by his curiousness. That's the what I got out of him, but you really didn't write much about the boy himself.

I'll be waiting for the second chapter.

WrathMonkey

Reaction score
Nicely written. Revise it a bit before progressing with your next chapter though. When I read your introduction, I was expecting to be utterly confused, but you described the settings quite well. Your character seems confused about the situation and is only motived by his curiousness. That's the what I got out of him, but you really didn't write much about the boy himself.

I'll be waiting for the second chapter.

Wow, thanks. I was hoping not to completely put the reader in the dark. I want the reader to feel the same sort of confusion that he does; as if it were you waking up and seeing all of this random chaos suddenly. :) I'm a bit busy with my TD map at the moment, but on my free time I'm gonna be writing more to this. It's a bit of a short chapter, especially by my standards (I usually write at least 3 pages per chapter on Word, with an upwards of eight pages), but the next chapters are going to be longer. :D

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Alright, cool. I'll be waiting for that next chapter. It'll be neat to see what kind of characters you're going to pull out from this story.

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
Your a pretty darn good writer if I do say so myself. Definitely not perfect, but just a few things you need to work on and you'll be well on your way.

WrathMonkey

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you, I appreciate the good replies. However, I'm in Las Vegas for four days, so I'll be preoccupied... :D I just have WiFi on this laptop and I decided to forewarn you..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.