the future of World Editor

Winterherz

Reaction score
will anyone still use WE by next or the coming years? the way i see is WE be just a practice zone before jumping to GE? To think there are still a lot of people asking for help and building project maps in the world editor section now that sc2's release is in 2 months from now , aren't you scared!:rolleyes:..

i guess im answering my own question: the real question is will anyone still play wc3?

punwisp

Reaction score
Practice zone? Thats like using starcraft 1s editor in practice for Wc3s editor.

You can be pro at Starcraft 1s editor, but youll be a complete noob when you hit Wc3s.

GE is a huge jump, theres so few similaries between the object editors in wc3 and GE xD

People will prob go back to WE because they dont want to put forth the effort into re-learning the editor, so they will stay in wc3 and prob try to put Sc2 into wc3.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I was going to stay, then I realized that warcraft 3 is like 10 years old and nobody else was staying.

punwisp

Reaction score
The most you can practice with is the GUI and terraining, thats it. Object editor is completely different in GE then in WE. Theres no simplicity in GEs

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
Problems I've seen:

1. Lack of support for Galaxy language causes people to rely on annoying GUI-interfaces.

2. Little feeling of being proud of your scripting code, because it's all pre-supplied in the Data Editor. (why script it if you can do it with a few clicks?)

3. These things lead to less creative thinking about how to improvise with fewer options and how to manage memory leak & other oddities of WC3 scripting, deprecating skills you can actually apply towards job-environment programming. Boo. It's gonna be a spawning ground for noobs to stay noobs.

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
The language fails? More like the GUI fails. Most of the components in GUI leak like mad, while in well-scripted JASS you're going to be leaking less than most garbage collectors would assist you with.

Also, I know this forum is slow, but you really necro'd this.

cleeezzz

The Undead Ranger.
Reaction score
sc2's gui may be more friendly (no leaking?) but the data editor itself will blow you away. period.

something as simple as changing attack speed took about 5 minutes to figure out

and many things are counter intuitive. such as.. to edit what ability a unit has,

In WE: Go to the unit and add the ability to the Ability Field.
In GE: Go to the ABILITY??? and add to the unit

and no, porting sc2 to wc3 is a waste of time and effort, wc3 is dying.

it is just my opinion, but projects that are still relatively new in the projects section, i applaud them for their time and effort but its way too late to join the wc3 custom maps and its hard to reach a big audience

mapguy

Reaction score
I think WC3 and SC2 are different game styles.
so, I think that some people will continue creating maps for WC3, and other will only work at SC2 maps.
I'll use both.
since I know very well the WC3 editor I think it's hard to try learning everything new in SC2 editor.
I'll continue with WE until I really learn how to use GE, because the most annoying thing is to correct OLD bugs of your maps.

example: I quited an AOS 4 years ago because I was so noob and my map so full of bugs and leaks, that it was easier to start a new map instead of coninuing in that one.

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
If Vexorian doesn't upgrade Zinc or Blizzard doesn't release a new patch in the next few months, I would consider WC3 a lost cause.

Crazy_Dead

Reaction score
Problems I've seen:

1. Lack of support for Galaxy language causes people to rely on annoying GUI-interfaces.

2. Little feeling of being proud of your scripting code, because it's all pre-supplied in the Data Editor. (why script it if you can do it with a few clicks?)

3. These things lead to less creative thinking about how to improvise with fewer options and how to manage memory leak & other oddities of WC3 scripting, deprecating skills you can actually apply towards job-environment programming. Boo. It's gonna be a spawning ground for noobs to stay noobs.

My thinking, really.

Just this is the thing.

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
B/c they can't both fail. That's impossible.

The GUI fails because the GUI [ljass]UnitDamageTargetBJ[/ljass] and many hashtable API functions cause inexplicable glitches, while the native JASS commands for them do not glitch.

Didn't know this was such a big part of making a map.. Maybe just make it for the fun of it?

You can play any mindless game for fun.

No1 is playing WC to get a job. I'd think that other languages would be better. You realize some games just pick a language as opposed to making one. Would you rather have all the hassles of the WC editor? I don't understand why ppl would prefer a crappy editor just so less ppl make maps.

I don't prefer a crappy editor, I simply prefer to write my own script. SC2 isn't worth it because writing script in that game is as detached and impersonal. JASS hits home, because you can see the difference in performance from writing the script from clicking through GUI. In Galaxy, the script will apparently have no advantages over the GUI, so there is no point to learning the language.

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
This isn't about making SC2's GUI crap. I never said that. I said that because JASS has so much capability over wc3 GUI you can see the difference clearly, so there is motivation to learn the scripting language. In StarCraft 2, where is this motivation? There isn't any. I'm not saying don't go out and buy the game, I'm just saying there's no point to writing in Galaxy in StarCraft 2, so noobs who don't know anything about scripting will not grow out of that.

punwisp

Reaction score
*so what kind of experience do you have?*

"Well, you see bob, I made epic maps in warcraft 3, I even designed a spawn system in its editor"

Really? You can HARDLY use this as experience, let alone a reference. The ONLY thing you can even use this knowledge for is working for blizzard, thats it. Its not really gonna help you anywhere else >.>, not even game design. At the very most, the different coding will help you understand others.

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
Obviously, you've never written or examined code - especially Zinc, which has almost identical syntax to C/Java.

Spawn system in its editor? You have no idea the capability scripting has.

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
*so what kind of experience do you have?*

"Well, you see bob, I made epic maps in warcraft 3, I even designed a spawn system in its editor"

Really? You can HARDLY use this as experience, let alone a reference. The ONLY thing you can even use this knowledge for is working for blizzard, thats it. Its not really gonna help you anywhere else >.>, not even game design. At the very most, the different coding will help you understand others.

Actually it makes a lot of difference. Go look at job applications for video game companies. They generally ask for modding experience and they like it if you have modding experience specific to their games.

Also, knowing your way around JASS implies a strong logic and programming base.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.