The good old days.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
How many of you was with us during the good old days?
I am of course referring to the days when we thought that 500Mhz processors was the best there was, just around the new millenia.

What comp did you have?
What games did you play?

I had this:
Intel pentium 3 450Mhz
64MB ram
20GB HDD
Nvidia Riva TNT 2 Ultra 32MB graphics card
10 MB networks adapter^^
And not to forget, I had Windows ME:cool:

I usually played these on lan:
GTA 2 and 1
CS 1.5
Heroes of might and Magic 3
Starcraft
Warcraft 2
delta force 1 or pixel wars as we later named it:p

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I had a computer, or rather my parents did, with those like 16 megs of RAM. I had the first GTA for the Playstation too, my mom thought I played the police in it and I had to turn the sound off because of the naughty words. I remember that our keyboard broke once and we had the dialup so we had to type a password in so I figured out that I could just copy them all using the mouse and past the words in. I tried to download a 50 megabyte game demo once, it took like two days and my parents got really mad because we paid by the minute for Internet service.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I remember the original Sims, and the Sims Holiday.
Good times were had.

It took a good 3 hours or so after clicking to go on Holiday, and the Holiday resort actually loading.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Hahaha.. I did exactly the same thing once, the modem was so hot when they pulled the cable that we probably could have fried an egg on it:D
But the game was good, I think I downloaded the drakan order of flame demo or something similiar^^

Edit:
@Romek: Hahaha^^ My comp took only like half a minute even with all the expansions installed:) That graphic card even let me play normal maps on wc3 with highest graphic settings without lagging even once :) Loading was a bitch there though:p

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
My first PC was:

Intel Pentium 2 (333 or 400mhz?)
16 mb ram
Nvidia 400mx? I believe
10gb hard disk

and of course the modem. I played Diablo until my soul came out and back in again ^^

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
I tried to download a 50 megabyte game demo once, it took like two days and my parents got really mad because we paid by the minute for Internet service.
Ah, the good ol' days :D From what I recall, 1 or 2MB was a very big deal from when I first remember using a PC.

I remember playing Age of Empires I so much back then. It was a terrible shame that the computer couldn't handle Diablo II though :(

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
It was a terrible shame that the computer couldn't handle Diablo II though :(

What:eek:
I got to know what specs that comp had:)
I had an old 486 with an 2mb Gfx card with an 8mb expander thingy and it could handle D2, there was lag though, but it was playable expansion and all:shades:
That had to be one really lousy comp to not be able to play that game:eek:

Nenad, that sounds a lot like my old comp^^ I did never play the first diablo back then though:( I thought it was to scary at that time:(

punwisp

Reaction score
How many of you was with us during the good old days?
I am of course referring to the days when we thought that 500Mhz processors was the best there was, just around the new millenia.

What comp did you have?
What games did you play?

I had this:
Intel pentium 3 450Mhz
64MB ram
20GB HDD
Nvidia Riva TNT 2 Ultra 32MB graphics card
10 MB networks adapter^^
And not to forget, I had Windows ME:cool:

I usually played these on lan:
GTA 2 and 1
CS 1.5
Heroes of might and Magic 3
Starcraft
Warcraft 2
delta force 1 or pixel wars as we later named it:p

Times those bolded specs by a couple thousand, and thats my computer :D

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
PunWisp is a showoff when it comes to his computer. :p

Varine

Reaction score
Ah, the good ol' days :D From what I recall, 1 or 2MB was a very big deal from when I first remember using a PC.

I remember playing Age of Empires I so much back then. It was a terrible shame that the computer couldn't handle Diablo II though :(

Yeah getting a song from Limewire or something you heard on the radio was had to be planned out ahead of time to be sure no one called and interrupted it. Fucking telemarketers called at the most inopportune time, at like 95%... you could almost hear the song in your head and it was SO damn exciting then BAM "Would you like to try our product for FREE?" "NO I DON'T WANT YOUR FUCKING KNIVES I WANNA LISTEN TO ONE WEEK BY BARENAKED LADIES". Then we got DSL... and here came the world of warez.

I had this game called DarkStone, I thought it had the best graphics ever. I was trying to brag about having it for some reason to my sister who couldn't have cared less about video games and was like "OMG LOOK HOW AWESOME THIS IS" and she didn't get it. I remember spending hours at the library looking for books to tell me how to make video games and stuff when I was little, not understanding the concept of a game engine and thinking I needed like an actual engine thing, and then when we got a new computer I begged my parents to buy me DarkBASIC for ever. That had to be the most worthless POS I have ever gotten, EVERYTHING had to be done in code that was about as advanced as JASS because there was no GUI world editor or anything and there was this like fifty page book with all of the natives you could use and as far as I can tell no way to get other models in the version I have so you're stuck with the ones they made for it. I found it a while ago and spent about six hours to try and program it to draw some graphs and it wasn't advanced enough to draw it like that, I ended up with this weird V thing instead of a parabola. Has a cool name though.

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score
The good old days would be the late 80's and early 90's. I had an Intel 80386 at 16MHz (if I recall correctly). Games included a bunch of shareware, King's quest, etc...

As for the turn of the decade 1999-2000, I had a Pentium 2 @ 400MHz and a 3DFX voodoo 3 graphics card. I played Warcraft 2, Final Fantasy 7 PC, Descent, Riven, and a ton of shareware games.

Varine

Reaction score
And then there were the CRT monitors.... Too dangerous to take apart in school.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
No kidding^^ He is a liar to it seems, I would se him put 64GB of ram have a 32GB graphics card in a home computer:p

If memory serves, he has 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, two 2.something or 3.something GHz processors, and a good graphics card I can't remember...

punwisp

Reaction score
Don't even bother, you didn't even get half right, only one you did get right was the 1TB

and its 8GB RAM

And I was exaggerating :p

Varine

Reaction score
If memory serves, he has 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, two 2.something or 3.something GHz processors, and a good graphics card I can't remember...

Why would you remember that?

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
nxizoh.png

Used to have 256mb of ram but I added.

Here's my current computer (laptop) still building my rig.

15nqe8l.png

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
My dad use to own a laptop.
Was playing PacMan with that.
And the song kept stuck in my head whenever I'm not playing.
Almost 20 years ago. I forgot what was the spec. But it uses diskette.

Console game would be Micro Genius. I remembered all those cartridges.
Remembered how I needed to position the cartridges at certain angle so that it could play correctly. Lol...
Contra and Mario were the best games at the time.
This was when I was about 7.

My first computer was when I was 15? Pentium 2. 2gb HDD I think. A cloned version.
Was playing Red Alert 1 and Star Craft. Couldn't support CS at that time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.