The Growing Earth Theory

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting, but it also has flaws in its logic.
Such as: If the world is getting bigger, where is this new matter coming from? :confused:

I haven't heard of this before, but there is some evidence to find some support but that question above is my major reason for doubting it.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Interesting, but it also has flaws in its logic.
Such as: If the world is getting bigger, where is this new matter coming from? :confused:

I haven't heard of this before, but there is some evidence to find some support but that question above is my major reason for doubting it.

Expansion doesn't necessarily mean more mass.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
So... somehow there's space being created in the center of the earth (or underground). And guessing like a balloon, it expands?

But it makes sense... except exactly how or what causes it to expand.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Expansion doesn't necessarily mean more mass.

Well the Earth isn't hallow and something needs to fill the space in the middle when it expands and lava doesn't come from nothing! :rolleyes:

Example - Balloons need air to expand them :p

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Hmm... since the earth is spinning, and there is magma in the center, is it possible to get a sort of cyclone like effect? Like in a blender? Causing space in the middle and pushing against the 'walls', thus expanding the earth.

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
If the earth was getting larger, its surface would be getting further and further away from the earths core over time, and the core is responsible for our planets magnetic field. Thus if this really happened, there would be evidence of this in ferous rock samples all across the world.
But there isnt.

This video is gay.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
"No subduction happens!"

Ok, where does all that matter dissapearing beneath the trenches go then? Does the theory also have an argument in favor of the existance of a 'seafloor fairy?'

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
If the earth was getting larger, its surface would be getting further and further away from the earths core over time, and the core is responsible for our planets magnetic field. Thus if this really happened, there would be evidence of this in ferous rock samples all across the world.
But there isnt.

This video is gay.

To BudSMoke:
I actually read and article about this global warming thing once, and there was a theory of the weather changes and flooding having to do with changes in the earths magnetic field. So it is possible that there has occured changes in the magnetic fields;)
And where did you get the info saying that there is no evidence for it?
If the thing the guy in the video was talking about is true, then the scientists don't even want to look for evidence beacuse of their fear of finding out the truth:rolleyes:

On topic:
I think that with heat in the middle there has to be pressure that wants to escape and with the lack of vulcanos in present time that pressure want to escape, which causes some sort of force to push from the inside.

And with the earth spinning around the sun, wich obviousely has an outside grip on the earth pulling the earth closer, but it does not.
It just might be beacuse of the fact that earth spins around itself and also around the sun, thus the spinning makes the forces a bit more "dull" in effect, and it just can be so that the spinning gives the sun just the right amount of force on earth to cause an outside pull.

The pulling and the pushing combined might have that effect on the earth, not sure tho, just saying that it could be beacuse of those.

And if I recall correct, the earths density is thicker the further into the core you get, which could explain why it gets bigger without adding mass.
And also, there is no way to check if the earth is gaining weight, beacuse there would be no certain way of messuring it without having the earth step onto a giant scale:p So people can't just say that the earth is gaining mass or not.

BUT, there is a thing that you should be aware of also, every day there is a lot of small meteorites and stuff that comes close to the earth, most of them burns up in the atmosphere. But, just beacuse they burn up does not mean that they are gone, or does it? The atoms wich they consist of has to go somewhere, right? It just might be so that the earth collects matter from space in that way aswell, and that it is increasing in mass that way.

And don't just say that I am wrong, beacuse you know that most of what I wrote is possible and can't be argued against anyway:p

quraji

zap
Reaction score
> I think that with heat in the middle there has to be pressure that wants to escape and with the lack of vulcanos in present time that pressure want to escape, which causes some sort of force to push from the inside.

There's something like 1500 land volcanoes that have been or are active now (don't quote me..too lazy to confirm it). This is not including many, many more in the ocean.

>And with the earth spinning around the sun, wich obviousely has an outside grip on the earth pulling the earth closer, but it does not.
It just might be beacuse of the fact that earth spins around itself and also around the sun, thus the spinning makes the forces a bit more "dull" in effect, and it just can be so that the spinning gives the sun just the right amount of force on earth to cause an outside pull.

I don't know what you're saying.

>And if I recall correct, the earths density is thicker the further into the core you get, which could explain why it gets bigger without adding mass.

It does indeed get more dense as you get closer to the core. But I'm not sure what you mean by getting bigger without adding mass.

>And also, there is no way to check if the earth is gaining weight, beacuse there would be no certain way of messuring it without having the earth step onto a giant scale So people can't just say that the earth is gaining mass or not.

The current mass of the earth is ~5.9736×1024 kg. People did not pull this figure out of their asses, there are ways to measure the mass of the earth. One is to measure the acceleration of a dropped object to the surface (in other words, the strength of our gravity, which is directly related to mass).

>BUT, there is a thing that you should be aware of also, every day there is a lot of small meteorites and stuff that comes close to the earth, most of them burns up in the atmosphere. But, just beacuse they burn up does not mean that they are gone, or does it? The atoms wich they consist of has to go somewhere, right? It just might be so that the earth collects matter from space in that way aswell, and that it is increasing in mass that way.

Um, assuming that were correct, I don't get your point. You're saying that debris falling to the earth's surface is adding to it's mass (and therefore, it's size)?

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
There's something like 1500 land volcanoes that have been or are active now (don't quote me..too lazy to confirm it). This is not including many, many more in the ocean.

I did not know that:p But I think that is less than it used to be and that it just proves that the pressure wants to escape:rolleyes:

>And if I recall correct, the earths density is thicker the further into the core you get, which could explain why it gets bigger without adding mass.

It does indeed get more dense as you get closer to the core. But I'm not sure what you mean by getting bigger without adding mass.

I mean that as the pressure pushes from the inside it brings matter with if out and it gets colder and not as compact due to that if there where to be magma getting out from a crack in the sea bottom, there would be water mixing with that magma and other molecules aswell, thus lowering the density of the magma and thus in turn making the earth increase in size without gaining any matter.
It's like you you have a cheramic pot, and it cracks, but instead of gluing it with glue you scrape of a bit of the inside of the pot to use as glue istead, thus no mass added to the pot and it has increased a bit in size due to the "glue":thup:

The current mass of the earth is ~5.9736×1024 kg. People did not pull this figure out of their asses, there are ways to measure the mass of the earth. One is to measure the acceleration of a dropped object to the surface (in other words, the strength of our gravity, which is directly related to mass).

I did not know that, as I said. I was not sure if there was a way to messure it. Or atleast I think I did say that:)

Um, assuming that were correct, I don't get your point. You're saying that debris falling to the earth's surface is adding to it's mass (and therefore, it's size)?

If you have a bookshelf. It gets dusty, the longer it stands the more dust is drawn to it's top. After a while you will have a 1mm layer of dust on it, thus making the shelf increase in height by 1mm. The same princip, but a bad example. I hope you get what I mean, that could be one explanation to why it take so long time, and there actually is an awfull lot of meteorites burning up everyday no matter how small they are they will increase the size a little.

quraji

zap
Reaction score
>I mean that as the pressure pushes from the inside it brings matter with if out and it gets colder and not as compact due to that if there where to be magma getting out from a crack in the sea bottom, there would be water mixing with that magma and other molecules aswell, thus lowering the density of the magma and thus in turn making the earth increase in size without gaining any matter.

The pressure becomes larger as you go deeper into the mantle (because of the extreme weight on layers below). Anyways, material does rise to the surface and cool in different ways. One such way is on a divergent boundary, where two plates are moving away from one another (very slowly), material melts and fills the gap. This is also accompanied on the other side by a convergent boundary, where plates are colliding. This is where subduction happens, when a plate moves under another and sinks into the mantle. This video claims that there is no subduction...

>If you have a bookshelf. It gets dusty, the longer it stands the more dust is drawn to it's top. After a while you will have a 1mm layer of dust on it, thus making the shelf increase in height by 1mm. The same princip, but a bad example. I hope you get what I mean, that could be one explanation to why it take so long time, and there actually is an awfull lot of meteorites burning up everyday no matter how small they are they will increase the size a little.

This would not cause the earth to grow in size by the magnitude that the video is suggesting. It's saying something like there are rifts acting like divergent boundaries, pushing apart and adding more and more material, with no subduction, thus increasing the surface area of the earth. The problem with this is that there IS subduction. To quote uberfoop:

"No subduction happens!"

Ok, where does all that matter dissapearing beneath the trenches go then? Does the theory also have an argument in favor of the existance of a 'seafloor fairy?'

The video must account for the trenches which are formed by subduction, which apparently doesn't exist. Therefore there's some ocean floor fairy that conducts business down there..

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
The Mid-Atlantic Ridge is an example of a Divergent, or Constructive, plate boundary. Here, magma rises to the surface and cools; the plates are moving away from each other.

The opposite of this is a Convergent, or Destructive, plate boundary. Here, the denser plate subducts underneath the lighter plate. An example is the Nazca trench on the Pacific Coast along Chile. It results in the creation of volcanoes as the dense oceanic plate melts and rises as magma.

So while magma rises out of one, it re-enters the earth at another. This video seems to me to be someone who has mis-interpretted the evidence; the plates did all lock together as in the Pangea theory, the evidence for this being that fossils found in one continent can also be found (i.e. identical fossils) in another continent. They didn't walk across the ocean, and there was no "land-bridge", so the plates were joined. Take one look at a map, it's clear they fitted together.
It's also worth noting that it is well possible they could have fit on the opposite edges, prior to the Pangea landmass.

Also also, when landmasses collide they might not subduct. They may instead form mountains. And this is why fish fossils are found inland. As ocean plates collide, they push up, forming mountains. The video fails to point out that fossils are found almost always in mountain areas.

And another thing. There are lots of Hot Spots across the earth's surface, where magma rises through thin points in the middle of a plate. A good example? Hawaii.

South-Titan

Reaction score
Remember, all this dirt and rock comes from the mantle. :eek::eek:

So the mantle is shrinking while the crust grows as Earth cools, right?

Remember the good ol' days when Earth was this molten rock entirely? Then it's atmosphere began to form and water was created in oxygen-hydrogen bonds to make oceans? So Earth began cooling with the water, and allowed more of an atmosphere, to make more water to cool it into a crust. Now, our atmosphere isn't really moving too much either way. Evolution and pollution counteract each other. But the water still cools down the mantle and core, whether the atmosphere grows and creates oxygen or not.

So the crust IS growing, but not neccesarily the Earth itself. Don't worry, we won't be the size of Jupiter in some billion years. In fact, the Earth's volcanoes will die out because the vents will close up and/or move away. The same with all geysers. :(

Why? The volcanoes keep ejecting magma and lava into this hellhole we call home and the Earth's crust is growing. Soon all or most of the mantle will be gone and/or compressed or cooled.

Now, this isn't subduction. The Earth is getting deeper, but also heightening. It's spreading, because mantle is VERY DENSE as stated in the video. I don't call soil or aluminum very DENSE, do you? So it's also getting bigger physically, and/or spreading out and getting DEEPER

I AM THE GENIUS OF GEOLOGICAL SCIENCE! PHEAR ME! No, not really, but close

(c) 2009-3009 South-Titan. All rights reserved. Vandals will be eaten alive.

quraji

zap
Reaction score
The Mid-Atlantic Ridge is an example of a Divergent, or Constructive, plate boundary. Here, magma rises to the surface and cools; the plates are moving away from each other.

The opposite of this is a Convergent, or Destructive, plate boundary. Here, the denser plate subducts underneath the lighter plate. An example is the Nazca trench on the Pacific Coast along Chile. It results in the creation of volcanoes as the dense oceanic plate melts and rises as magma.

If I remember correctly, both divergent and convergent boundaries create volcanoes, just not transform fault boundaries (which cause earthquakes). Just a tiny addition :)

South-Titan, I'm no earth-science buff, and in no place to question a "geological genius", but something of what you're saying doesn't make sense to me, can you give me a source please?

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, both divergent and convergent boundaries create volcanoes, just not transform fault boundaries (which cause earthquakes). Just a tiny addition :)
Yes, they both create volcanoes. Destructive margins generally create explosive volcanoes, while Constructive margins create volcanoes which are pretty much continuously erupting in a non-explosive manner.

Why? The volcanoes keep ejecting magma and lava into this hellhole we call home and the Earth's crust is growing. Soon all or most of the mantle will be gone and/or compressed or cooled.

Now, this isn't subduction. The Earth is getting deeper, but also heightening. It's spreading, because mantle is VERY DENSE as stated in the video. I don't call soil or aluminum very DENSE, do you? So it's also getting bigger physically, and/or spreading out and getting DEEPER
Erm, did you not read my previous post? Subduction occurs at destructive plate margins and creates ocean trenches. Subduction is sort of like the opposite end of the cycle where magma erupts as lava onto the surface, then goes back into the mantle at destructive margins, and that's subduction.
Magma pouring out of the Mid-Atlantic ridge will not result in a hollow earth, the processes described above are continuous :)

I AM THE GENIUS OF GEOLOGICAL SCIENCE! PHEAR ME! No, not really, but close
I lay claim to that title over you, actually. A grades all round in geological sciences here :)

sjakie

Cookie Be Awesome!
Reaction score
Just throwing out a random thought here, I'm not a genius like you guys. Nor did I watch the video to be honest, but I suppose it goes about the growing earth.

The hotter matter is, the larger its volume is right? Well, the core is made out of molten metal under immense pressure. If somehow the pressure on the core would lessen, wouldn't it expand and force the earth to blow up balloon-style?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.