The Guide to TheHelper.net

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Everyday, I see new users asking the same basic questions like 'what is the green thingies and how do i get dem?'.

I'm going to clear all the up in the guide to TH.net (remake).

I'll start with a very common question:

What is Reputation?

rep is a system of TH, this is how it should be used:

~If you find a helpful post, you give +rep.
~If you find a post that breaks numerous rules, you give -rep.
~If you fine a very bad post that breaks LOADS of rules and is very offensive, you report it.

Giving reputation:

To give people reputation, click the scales shown here:

updownrep0ia.jpg

they can be found at the top-right hand side of someone's post, click this to give someone +rep (good points) or -rep (bad points).

The icon next to it is where you report VERY bad posts (you shouldn't use it often at all).

Once you click the scales, this window should pop-up:

updownrep22mb.jpg

select 'I approve' to give someone +rep, or 'I disapprove' to give someone -rep.

If you decide to give someone -rep, you are recommended to give a reason, its bad to -rep people just because they wear glasses or type alot of typos.

=====

User CP:

usercp10tg.jpg

That diagram shows each button in your User CP and what they do.

The first 5 are to edit certain parts of your profile

Email and Password: to edit your email and password, click this.

Edit Profile: to edit you details and stuff in your public profile, click this.

Edit Options: to set your own forum preferences, click this.

Edit Avatar: to select a picture that goes next to your name, click here.

Edit Profile Picture: to select a random picture that goes in your public profile, click this.

---

The next 4 are related to private messaging:

List Messages: Show all the PMs in your inbox.

Send New Messages: Send PMs to other people (they are visible only to you and the person you send them to).

Track Messages: Shows you your receipts (More on them in a minute).

Edit Folders: Add and remove folders in your PM area.

Receipts: When you send/reply to a PM, it asks you if you want a reciept for it, SAY NO, it is recommended to cancel it as it doesn' work properly at the moment.

---

Subscribed Threads: Show a list of threads that you have subscribed to (so that you can keep track of threads you like).

Edit Folders: Add and remove folders in your Subscribe area.

---

Event Reminder: I do not know what this is for :p.

Buddy/Ignore Lists: Edit the lists of friends and enemies.

Attachments: Managed atachments that you have got in your posts.

=====

Sending PMs:

pm19nu.jpg

click that (under the name of the person you want to PM) to send them a PM.

A window should come up alot like a regular 'Post a Reply/Thread' window, type in your message and send it to them.

TIP: you can put ; between names to send a PM to more than one person.

Don't send anything rude or offensive, although PMs are private, the person you send it to could report it.

=====

Subscribing to Threads:

This is handy if you wanna keep track of a helpful/useful/important thread (like this one ;)).

I recommend that if you see a thread you wanna keep looking at day after day, you should subscribe to it so that you're notified in your User CP if anyones posted on it since you last looked.

subscribe19sd.jpg

Click that to subscribe to a chosen thread :).

=====

Attachments:

attach6zo.jpg

Just under the Message box when you're posting a reply/thread, you'll see a list of options, scroll down the one in the screeny/link and use it to add attachments.

=====

General Posting:

If you're asking a question, make it clear, use paragraphs and spellcheckers.

If you're posting your opinion, make it all clear and understandable and back up your opinion with as much as you can.

If you're helping people, remember not to flame them just because they asked a dumb question, just try your best to help them.

If a question isn't clear enough, ask them to clarify it so that it's easier to understand.

-----

Forum Titles and Signatures:

Adding this because it is always asked and alot of people are getting tired of explaining it:

UPDATED: The old explanation was out-dated.

Forum Titles:

Once you earn 100 reputation, you become a Special Member, and get an option in your User CP to change your title.

Signatures

Administrators and Moderators get this feature by default, very very few Regular Users get this feature, usually the ones who are helpful not only in topics but to the community and the staff as well.

---

Signatures are given to Moderators, Administrators and Users who are incredibly helpful and contribute greatly to the site.

You become a Moderator if you're incredibly helpful, kind, popular and know your stuff about a certain subject, but this is only if there's a position for a mod.

There are a number of Administrators on the site, you do not try to become one.

Forum Leaders - Admins, Mods, Super Mods and Special Members

---

Hosted Mappers

Hosted Mappers are users who are given a forum to talk about and advertise their project. This is usually if the game is way in development and if the general concept is good. If you have a Warcraft III Map that you're working on which you think has potential, PM one of the WE forum moderators with a summary of your map, details and (if possible) screenshots.

---

TAGS

Tags are pieces of text that you wrap around parts of your post to enhance it, a good example is the BOLD text, below are some examples:

Italics

To use Italics, simply wrap your text with [ i] and [/ i] (without the spaces), you will get this.

Centering

To center text, wrap your text with [ center] and [/ center] (without the spaces again), you will get:

THIS​

YouTube Tags

These can be kinda confusing to some, but I'm pretty sure I know exactly how they work now :).

You must wrap the ID of the video in the tags, not the link, or the share link.

so for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQlT4ZYVLNQ (Dark Cut Demo), iQlT4ZYVLNQ in the ID tags.

Example

[YOUTUBE]iQlT4ZYVLNQ[/YOUTUBE]

If the movie still doesn't show up, it can be because:

~You didn't copy it correctly.

If it continues not to load, you must add a - symbol to the start of the ID, this will fix it :).

=======

Google Tags

Google Tags are similar to Youtube tags, they're used to get videos from Google Videos.

Find a video that you like from Google Videos, and on the URL there is a part that says 'docid=' followed by a number, copy this number.

When posting, click the Google (
GoogleButton-2.jpg
) icon, and on your post something similar to this should appear:

Then paste the number inbetween:

[ GOOG]-5092763817248366316[/ GOOG]

And when you preview and submit the post, you should see it is hidden like a spoiler, but it says 'Google Video', the click the button to show it:

[GOOG]-5092763817248366316[/GOOG]

=======

FOR A FULL LIST OF BB CODES/ TAGS AND HOW TO USE THEM, VISIT THIS URL

=======

TheHelper.net Chat

A new feature that is still being tested. As far as I know, anybody who is a Special Member or greater can register their names to the chat and start talking.

Check it out!

There are instructions on the page as to how to register yourself.

=======

Anything that wasn't explained in this guide will most likely be found At the FAQ :).

=======

User Pages and Social Groups:

What Are They?

A User Page is your new profile, updated a while ago with vBulletin (I'm assuming). Certain members have the power to change the look of their page, upload images etc.

A Social Group can be a group about a certain subject that one or more people are interested in, again only certain users can create user groups, but any one can request for a user group to be made!

=======

Hope this helps everyone.

~Jindo

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
s'okay, did it mainly because I had the screenies still and it would be a shame to see this go >.<.

If there are any errors/problems with the tut, let me know.

~Jindo

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
i know this is kind of old, but its a sticky :p
so anyway i think you should add a sentence or two about member titles and signatures...people ask that a lot.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Bump for any forum newbies we may have collected in the past month or two :)

Don Joan

Reaction score
well, it sure helped me, thanks Jindo!!!:D

So, it's also a bump for other newbies :D

and since you helped me, I +REP you for that ;)

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
I'm actually pretty glad people read this, I just wished more new people would >_<.

Thanks for reading through this and for the rep, enjoy your stay at TH.net ;).

S

Sylvanas299

well this is thread and all for newbies so I'll ask... how do you add trigger code? is it the <code> </code> thing like in html? -- heh, nvm, finally found a thread that answered, sry...

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Jindo, you should add a section for explaining the tags, as well :D

Also, remove the part about SMship, it doesn't exists anymore :rolleyes:

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Also, remove the part about SMship, it doesn't exists anymore :rolleyes:

Gah, It won't let me edit this post (but it annoys me that it'll let me edit others), maybe posting will help (it has done once before).

And doesn't :rolleyes: mean sarcasm?!?!? (It should mean something else though, like 'whatever dude' :p).

I'll edit that as soon as it lets me :p.

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
I noticed the same yesterday, I think it's because your post is too old. I can't edit my old posts in the terrain thread either.

The "deadline" is sometime in June (6 months?). Hax! o_0

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.