Health The healing treatment of using sugar and honey is now making a comeback of 4000 years

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
To help heal seriously infected wounds, some surgeons have revived a 4,000-year-old treatment, born on the battlefields of ancient Egypt: they pack the depths of treacherous wounds with sweet substances like sugar.

Dressings made of sugar and honey, favored by healers throughout history, fell into disfavor with the development of antibiotics over half a century ago. But even the most sophisticated modern preparations have proved unable at times to overcome the hearty bacteria that live in deep wounds, and a handful of doctors, mostly in Europe, are turning once again to sugar ''It's a very old and very simple treatment which was forgotten for a while but is now coming back, like a fashion,'' said Prof. Rudy Siewert, chairman of the department of surgery at the Klinikum Rechts der Isar in Munich, West Germany.

Professor Siewert said that in the last five years the technique had enjoyed a wide renaissance in Germany and to a lesser extent in the rest of Europe. Despite the interest abroad, most American surgeons express mild skepticism.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sajin

User title under construction.
Reaction score
Please, I used sugar and honey as an Antibiotic back before it was cool..

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Not sure if it's just me but when I was a kid, my mouth was very prone to all sorts of bleeding.
I kept smashing my face into walls, floors and gates of every kind =/
My grandparents would always pour sugar into the wounds.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
Some honey also contains man-made antibiotics additionally to it's natural antibiotic propertries because the farmers feed the bees antibiotics.

Pretty sure that qualifies as irony.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Antibiotics don't have any effect on people. They don't get resistant to them. :rolleyes:
Well, If you get a bacterial infections, don't count that antibiotics would cure you!
Don't you believe that, the misuse of antibiotics has contributed to one of the world’s most pressing public health problems today Aka antibiotic resistance eh?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Well, If you get a bacterial infections, don't count that antibiotics would cure you!
Don't you believe that, the misuse of antibiotics has contributed to one of the world’s most pressing public health problems today Aka antibiotic resistance eh?

the point was that it was the bacteria developing resistance to antibiotics, not people

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
the point was that it was the bacteria developing resistance to antibiotics, not people
But the bad bacteria living inside your body No?
Well, If you take antibiotics that cannot fight the bacteria they are supposed to kill Just because antibiotics are used a lot
and your infection might even get worse and last much longer. "Instead of getting better"

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
According to FireCat, in a few years we'll just have the bacteria addicted to sugar. Which will make it get fat and develop diabetes.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Exactly. For a time; when they start to get diseases, they'll start up with science to cure it. And when that happens, it's only a matter of time before we've got nuclear infections.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.