The Helper needs help again

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Your menu is too bright and low detailed.

Try experimenting with a little bit more complexed shapes (not too complexed!) and shading.

You can merge shapes together and use different layers.

If you are using Photoshop, a nice filter is the noise filter. That helps to make the panels more rugged, if used wisely.

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
I have been trying all sorts of placings, the following looks nice (just a concept).

It would be really nice to get some additional information, measurements.

preview_menu.jpg

E.g what links it will have, the banners approximate height.

Though, yes, it's early to tell the homepage's content at this time, now.

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
Test phase.

I was thinking about doing buttons, which light up, too, when hovered onto.

A basic javascript niplet would to the trick.

Though, regular Arial font does the trick, also.

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
Do you want the banner to be focused entirely around the SC2 logo? I mean, every Starcraft fan site will have the exact same logo usually in the exact same location... Kind of unoriginal if you ask me.

Not anymore!

showoff.jpg

Besides, I would really like to be in the 0.03% of sites on the Internet that are not using "function MM_swapImage() { //v3.0 ..." :p

We should go with the flow. :p

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Hi I design websites and I think we can work something out.

Here is a few of my latest works;

www.AboutForums.net
www.UKRate.com/index2.php

My latest design which I am still working on;

47319504mc0.png

It is coded and all but I don't want to post a live link so I took a screenshot. Depending on what you specifically need we can work from there.

Thanks and good luck.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Are the button images the same size? They don't seem so, maybe just an optical illusion.

I think it should have a border behind the buttons.

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
yes, they are. The text is longer for 'image' than for 'news'.

They will not be the same sized; dependent of the text length.

Yes, I am doing some sketches at the moment on how to build the border and the carcass behind the menu and around the banner.

Ideas are appreciated.

Nothing is final.

Rad

Reaction score
Andrew, that looks pretty awesome. The T at the end of "TheHelper.net" looks out of place though. Too bright perhaps.

I do like the idea of having it centered like that though. Looks pretty cool. The renders don't really work together though. You should stick to one render like World Edit Tutorials and SRO Forums. I know we shouldn't idealize the new site around the older ones, but they did work out nicely.

Speaking entirely out of personal preference mostly, but why not just for entirely simple, compact design like...

startwo.jpg

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Mine, so far. There's no BG yet and nothing is finished. Pretty big image. Will be fluid and maybe I finish the PS part this evening.

Design.jpg

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Please refrain from complex designs.

Why so? It's for a game-oriented site. IMO it's supposed to be graphic-intense. Anyway, TH and the admins are supposed to choose. And if they won't use mine, I'll just find another use for it. No big deal.

Rad

Reaction score
Doesn't seem too complex, although theres some areas with alot of detail and others with much less, its the first screenshot.

And yes I agree game oriented sites should be allowed more graphic intensity compared to say, an ecommerce website.

That, tube or whatever connecting the navigation to the banner looks iffy. Its the only real textured object, other than the patterns used.

It could use some work but it has potential. Lets see what Ace has to say about complexity though. Simplicity usually does outweigh appearance, at least when the complexity is involved.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I said that nothing is finished yet ;). When I'll add a background the template will surely have a more texturized feeling added to it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.