The Helper needs help again

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been getting a bunch of complaints on the Starcraft 2 site on how it looks and I am not a graphics person and neither is Ace so I turn to our people here - who wants to help us redesign the Starcraft 2 site so it is a bad ass? Lots of rep and other good things to people who can help us. Post suggestions in this thread or PM us if you are a designer and would like some sort of portfolio credit on the trademark link of the site (link to your site from every thehelper.net page) or maybe cash. I want the Starcraft 2 site to be awesome and really would like to see someone from here step and be a part of that.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Hehe, I'm not a computer-graphics person either, but maybe I can hand draw something and I can scan it or something.

Are you looking for something like the forum template of Scumedit.net (Website Template of course), but in the techy feeling? Or just anything eye-candy-ingly attractive? :p

Narwy

I Hate Owls. period
Reaction score
If its ok, and you give me some time, i could make that site layout styled like this

techlayoutpng122.png

and here it's in black Background--> CLICK

that layout is bit too lightened from some places, because it's made with my old screen and it was darker than this one.

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
Is it going to be a forum like this or a web page??

Im up for it but i don't understand what you need.

Background ??

or these i don't get it.
edit.gif

quote.gif

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Hm.. I'll probably try. :)

I will hopefully create a nice sleek layout.

I'm not good at image splicing and coding though, so I guess it is just the graphics part.

Would it need the same content as the current one?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Content is not an issue. We are looking for design. The content goes where it is supposed to go in the design - and we can make that so.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Hm...
1205721651.png
I might whip up more. This doesn't seem like my best. I still want feedback though. :D

Tell me if you want it to be more simple or wider etc...

Rad

Reaction score
I'm not very talented at image editing but if I'll see if I can come up with something.

Hopefully something more compact then whats been suggested, why are you guys all submitting something with a huge banner at the top? You should keep the banner under 150pixels, allowing more content to be displayed without scrolling down.

Also, I'm running at 1400x1050. But when 80% of the page is used for text I find myself reading all the way across the screen and back, which gets annoying because its easier to lose what line I'm on etc. There either isn't enough padding, or the page width should be fixed. Or at least have a maximum width (of say, 800 or 1000).

Reaction score
@konerboy
Glow doesn't fit on everything :p..

@Purge
Swap the places of Navigation and Affiliates.

@Rad
I don't think that the header is going to be too much of a problem, if it is bigger than 150px. For an example dota-alltards.com has a beautiful header, even though it's kind huge.

Rad

Reaction score
Yeah uber, I guess your right. But I still don't think it should be that large especially if it doesn't have to. Notice the first three affiliates for TH right now all have about the same size banner-area? Not an official standard, but why not go by it.

Anyway, thats just an opinion. Hell even Starcraft 2's website uses a giant banner, but it has a movie so thats ok :p

Tell me if you want it to be more simple or wider etc...

The 15pixel border..thing at the top doesn't need to be there, and the gradient around TheHelper looks silly. The navigation buttons look compact width-wise but they have alot of space above/below and between them.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Do you want something fluid or something fixed? Any dimensions? Do you need the design scripted? (I can sort that out, but just asking)

And, does it has to follow the Starcraft II site design?

I have a link in my signature to a SCII fan site I designed (MesoCosmos). What do you say about that, good enough as a design with that theme?

Asking these so I can make something that would really please you.

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
i was wondering what the size should be... i really have no idea how big it should be o_O

but i have some really good ideas in mind so ... i will give it a go anywayz

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> Do you want something fluid or something fixed?
> Any dimensions?
> Do you need the design scripted? (I can sort that out, but just asking)
> And, does it has to follow the Starcraft II site design?

We are not looking at an in-game screenshot that requires 10 minutes to load.
We are not looking at a layout that requires several layers of tables to pixel it back together.

We are looking at a design.
That meets modern (heck, it's 10 years old already!) standards.
We are looking for xhtml compliance.
CSS based. Compliant too.

We are not looking for "requires 800x600 in Windows Internet Exploder".
We are looking for "views in anything, lynx if you really have to".

We are looking for a design.
Fluid.
Subtle.

With style.

It doesn't have to come today.
There's plenty of time.

Rad

Reaction score
Alright so it sounds like we need to code it too, which shouldn't be a problem.

If someone can't code it themselves I'll be willing to help.

Anyway, I spent some time making this using the UI from starcraft itself. Don't know if you'll want that but heres what I came up with

siteidea.gif

Had an idea for the banner but just not skilled enough to make it look good. If anyone likes this idea go for it.

I was thinking of a planet (purple one that would inhabit zerg) with a sun behind it, only the top left is visible. That would all be on the left side. The sun would be eclipsing with the planet and light effects would streak off to the right of the image. Of course there would be stars in the background and whatever...

The "Starcraft II" logo would start in the middle of the planet with an area for a quote below it. Then on the right side of the image you could have the logo's of the different races

symbols.jpg

And just for fun:

th.png

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
> Do you want something fluid or something fixed?
> Any dimensions?
> Do you need the design scripted? (I can sort that out, but just asking)
> And, does it has to follow the Starcraft II site design?

We are not looking at an in-game screenshot that requires 10 minutes to load.
We are not looking at a layout that requires several layers of tables to pixel it back together.

We are looking at a design.
That meets modern (heck, it's 10 years old already!) standards.
We are looking for xhtml compliance.
CSS based. Compliant too.

We are not looking for "requires 800x600 in Windows Internet Exploder".
We are looking for "views in anything, lynx if you really have to".

We are looking for a design.
Fluid.
Subtle.

With style.

It doesn't have to come today.
There's plenty of time.

Ok, got it, will do something after I come from school.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.