The Hive

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The Hive

The Hive is all the sections of the Helper.net without the General Discussion stuff multiplied by 1000. They have (had) tons more users than us. The Hive, if I remember right, inherited all the content of w3srch or whatever that was. We also share two of there Administrators - Ghan being our main admin. We used to compete with them back in the Days of World Editor Greatness but they did much better on the hosted maps and project forums than we did. We had the World Editor Maps section on World Editor Help but that was never really integrated into the forum as it was a SDRyoko hack so we just never could get there. The two sites are affiliated and I used to have a Moderators login there thanks to Ghan. I haven't checked if that works in years and really have not thought the Hive in a while. Anybody have an update on these guys?

I remember back in the old days the Hive was being hosted on the owners own Cable connection - he had a fast one. He was in jeopardy of losing the connection so we were trying to see if we could them on our dedicated server at the time. We figured we could barely do it. We would have hosted them too if they went down. The site is/was a great resource. The scale of it though. It had so many users.....

Solu9

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I use The Hive a lot and got some information. Dunno if you can use it.

As of writing this there are 1845 users (including guests) online.
New maps, models (unit and effects), icons, skins, and spell triggers are uploaded/updated almost daily.
Many of the forums get's new threads every day.
So I would say it is both very active still, and still a great resource hub.

Quite some time ago (can't remember exactly when, a year maybe) some of the crazy good modelers left the site, I have been trying to find out why but to no avail. Supposedly disagreement between the management and said modelers (at least one has returned).
Still tons of great models are hosted there.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Wow. Been a long time since I went on Hive... Turns out some of my resources were still being used and improved upon ._.

Gilles

Reaction score
Sorry for the bit of necro...

I used to be a moderator at the Hive, and I am currently active, although I tend to disappear for months at a time since stepping down from staff.

As per your question, the Hive is currently in a strange place. There is still a core modding community, although I would doubt it is anything of its former self. It seems like South East Asia seems to be providing a lot of new users and is a large force in the modding community these days. Europe used to be the power house, and is still present, but dwindling.

The terrain community, which has always been my home, has revitilized and is going strong right now. A contest just finished in fact (waiting on judging results from my collogue). Speaking of, the Arena (Hive hosted contests) is going very strong.

Hive 2.0 (the new site) has been revealed by Ralle (owner) and is slated to come out later this year or next (I think).

Outside of the modding, there is a larger community of people who used to mod and have now simply stayed for the site. I am one of these. I always enjoy being a part of a forum community, and since I have spent over 5 years at the Hive, I have made it my home. I spend most of my time in non-wc3 related sections. This is a common trend.

Anyhow, there's a little update for you, and probably more information about me than you needed. I really love this history of The Helper. I am pretty sure I used to come here (it had a different layout?!) and I was interested to see Ghans section and others that crossover into the Hive.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.