The most annoying debates

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this belongs in debate or general discussion, so a mod can move it if you want... but this is a discussion about debates. Namely, which debates do you guys find most annoying to hear and why? I'll get the ball rolling:

Does god exist-- these are the most annoying things ever. They generally consist of someone starting it saying one thing or another, then somebody else comes in and dissents, and they disagree on factual evidence and both use half thought-out logic. The best part is how neither side will ever be convinced, ever, though, so it basically devolves into a flamefest all around that generally raises one's blood pressure. Definitely the most annoying.

Anything involving DOTA-- unique to these forums, but these are also huge flame-fests. I'm not sure about anyone else, but every time I've seen a thread about DotA, I've always had this vague feeling in my stomach of "uh oh, there's going to be trouble." Basically people are arguing their subjective tastes that are correct to them, yet they feel the need to be pushy. And this is both ways.

Evolution vs. Creationism- similar to the does God exist debate... I won't go into details as then I'd reveal my own biases, but rest assured these never seem to end well either.

Feel free to post rants about debates you generally find dislikable, or examples of individual debates! Feel free to use quotes if you want! Go at it helperites!

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
debates is a debate.. I disagree its nothing annoying about debates whatever it is...
But sure some can be a bit to much flame fests "maybe".

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
debates is a debate.. I disagree its nothing annoying about debates whatever it is...
But sure some can be a bit to much flame fests "maybe".

examples? Details? And you don't think that there's certain debate topics that just succeed in slowly driving you up the wall because they all seem to play out the same way and devolve into flame wars?

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Debates exist because not everyone agrees with each other. That is why what some people find annoying may not be found annoying by another person.

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
Debates exist because not everyone agrees with each other. That is why what some people find annoying may not be found annoying by another person.

Indeed debates exist for a reason. I very much enjoy debating on a lot of subjects, don't get me wrong. But haven't you ever noticed that certain topics are just unsafe to debate, and that people will never change their opinions on them so it's basically just a flame war, not an actual debate? That's what I'm trying to ask about here.

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
I personally find that to be to true for most debates. People go into it with a competitive sense which defeats the pupose all together. They enter the argument with a completely biased view and ready to defend it until the other person either subsides or gives up trying. I rarely see anything productive. It seems anymore that it needs to be a negotiation rather than a debate for any two parties to gain the perspective debates are intended to provide.

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
I personally find that to be to true for most debates. People go into it with a competitive sense which defeats the pupose all together. They enter the argument with a completely biased view and ready to defend it until the other person either subsides or gives up trying. I rarely see anything productive. It seems anymore that it needs to be a negotiation rather than a debate for any two parties to gain the perspective debates are intended to provide.

Wow that's cynical! Not wrong, definitely not wrong, but cynical. Would you say for online debates or debates in general? For online debates at least I could definitely agree with you.

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
Debates that turn in to flame wars because there is no way in hell either side is going to change their views, is exactly what we have in the US Senate.

It is the Republican religious agenda of Jesus verses the Democratic agenda of science.
It is precisely this gridlock that is the sestimic problem that will ultimately cause our democracy to fail.

As sad as it sounds, it seems a Dictatorship is the only way to bring about real change, instead of small incremental change that will never amount to anything.

Chao

Setting sail for fail in the sea of lame.
Reaction score
I think the most annoying kind of debate is a debate about what the most annoying kind of debate is.

Kings

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Hmm, I personally hate when people try and argue about dogs being better than cats or vice versa. Has anyone ever had such a debate?

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Hmm, I personally hate when people try and argue about dogs being better than cats or vice versa. Has anyone ever had such a debate?
Not a debate thread, but some post about that I have seen..

Well anyway cats and dogs <3 !

Kershbob

Reaction score
Any debate where one side is actually right and the other is wrong. They're tedious and in most cases both sides will never change their opinion.

Also scientific debates with people outside the field. Like a theoretical physicist talking about astrobiology, oh the agony.

Evolution vs. Creationism- similar to the does God exist debate... I won't go into details as then I'd reveal my own biases, but rest assured these never seem to end well either.

I raged a little.

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score

Can't stand those, I'm not a huge fan of either animal so when people bring such things up with me, it goes no where fast.

'Debates' or discussions about genetically modified foods annoy me, or just hearing other people discuss it with their 'down with genetically enhanced foods' and 'lets yoga after chai tea'. Blasphemy I say. Blasphemy!

Not so much a debate, but when people ask "Oh what is your computer", and I tell them pentium 4, 1gig ram and a few other specs, and then their like "Whoa buddy, thats nothing compared to my hyper-flex-8k 1/2ghz 6g dual processer hardcore ram-o-phile of bizznitch graphics card from the future beast". Then theres a bit of silence, and you can tell their like "Yeah I won."

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Like all of them because none of them will ever get anywhere because 90% of the time the people arguing have no proof whatsoever and when shown proof ignore it and say it's modified or not trustworthy or just tell you to fuck off. And then continue on again about why everyone who disagrees with them on any subject ever is wrong.

Which is every one I get involved in gets closed shortly afterward.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.