*THE* Music Poll

Your choice?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ozzdog

Hopeless Toby Driver fan boy
Reaction score
Doing a music assignment on:

Which style of music requires more musicianship and skill. I think my music teacher wants us to do this just to prove a point (He's a hippy and hates new music), but anyways.
We were randomly assigned a style (or genre) of music. I received Hip Hop (hurray)! Then we got to choose a style (or genre) of our choice. I chose Progressive Rock.

Here are some examples of Hip Hop:
"Sexy Back" - Justin Timberlake"
"Don't Cha" - Pussycat Dolls
"Pump It" - Black Eyed Peas
(All I can think of! i don't know Hip Hop too well!)

Here are some exampled of Progressive Rock:
"YYZ" - Rush
"Hands of the Priestess" - Steve Hackett
"Yours is no Disgrace" - Yes
"Starless" - King Crimson
"Karn Evil 9" - Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Anyways, listen to some of those songs, and vote on which one requires more musicianship and skill (NOT WHICH ONE YOU LIKE MORE!) Im pretty sure which one will win :p

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
no Pink Floyd? Queen? o_O and this is so one sided...

My thought is each to its own taste and likeness. Both can be tough to pull off.

Knocksious

Sweet, I got 2 little green bars!
Reaction score
I'm sorry, any genre of music where the musicians actually play instruments require more skill than anything with synthesizer. It is a little unfair to categorize in genres, however, since some hip hop/rap artists actually do more than some rockers (it's rare, but possible). In general though, Guitar, Bass, and Drums take years to learn, and years more to perfect. Everyone is born with a voice. There are even rappers that brag about their instant success! Clear-cut decision here, I think.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I don't even have to listen to those songs in order to tell you that Progressive Rock is far harder than Hip Hop. :D

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Prog Rock obviously.
In fact, a friend had to compare (or rather, spot-the-difference) between a sample recorded by his teacher and that of a rap artist. He was unable to tell the difference. When it came to spotting the difference between the guitar sample, he easily saw that his teacher was the crappy one.

So obviously it takes a hell of a lot more skill to play guitar, or any instrument, than to just sing. His teacher can also say that he is as talented as any rap artist :)

Ozzdog

Reaction score
no Pink Floyd? Queen? o_O

Queen is more "prog related", and not really a pure prog rock band. And I guess I just forgot o mention Pink Floyd :p

I asked a kid in my class this same question. he said that Prog rock obviously requires more skill in playing the instruments. But then he said Hip Hop is all about the lyrics. I laughed soooo hard. Listen to "Sexy back" if you haven't heard it 100000000 times on a bus ride yet (damn bus driver wont change the chanel!), and then listen to any of those songs listed (not YYZ, its instrumental) or even any of the songs by any of those bands. Jon Anderson from yes, has fantastic lyrics, with very deep and metaphorical lyrics. King Crimson has a member of the band who is simply a lyricist. And Greg lake form Elp is a genious with lyrics.

Knocksious

Sweet, I got 2 little green bars!
Reaction score
plenty of people listen to hip-hop.... Why do you think it is so popular? If no one listened to it, no one would have to put up with it.

The problem (at least in the states and IMO, of course) is that kids these days are searching for some sort of... seriousness, for lack of a better word. They want to feel intimidating, and powerful, or they are looking for a certain... hardcore(ness), any way I don't know why. So if some person can come up and say they lived in the "hood" and have seen the "tough side of life" they will be popular, regardless of whether or not this is true.

Personally, I love the hip-hop/rap songs that don't take themselves seriously, thats also what I love about punk rock. The music I listen to is generally fun, and anyone that listens to hip-hop/rap for that purpose is fine by me. What I can't stand is those kids that yell "Thuggz fo' Life Suckas!" while throwing up some nonsensical gang sign that they just made up, and are serious. Can't stand that

[edit] if you want serious lyrics, then you should listen to someone that knows what they are talking about. That would more likely be someone in progressive/alt rock. To become a famous musician in those genres you need to, in general, struggle and work at it, and usually that fire is fueled by some deep emotional angst at the entire world. No rocker ever became an "overnight millionaire"

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
Frankly Hip-Hop is like glam rock/shock rocks.

Has very little to do with the music but more about image, and thats weak.

Any vintage stuff tends to be better in my opion, but I'm not a big fan of most vintage stuff as I dislike the genre and their lack of talent too.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Man, I like hip-hop the most (the songs you listed are not representative to the genre at all, IMO), but I admit that progressive rock takes more skill. SO you know what my vote is. I still <3 hip-hop, tho :p.

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Ya sorry, I dont really even know exactly what Hip Hop was. I didn't know if like 50 cent or Tupac counted as rap or hip hop. Because sometimes you see "genre: rap/hip hop" :S

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
nobody seriously listens to that crappy hip-hop stuff unless you're what we brits call a 'chav' :p.

And I see someone actually voted hip-hop, I must see who that is now..

... i listen to Hip hop and rap alot... so you might want to add one more to your list:D

back to the topic
i would do hip hop, rock is just playing instruments, singing loudly and like that... (no offence to Rockers if you read this)
Hip hop is almost like the same except it got better chorus and all that (IMO)

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Better chorus? Most Hip Hop songs these days are just one super long, repetative chorus...

>>rock is just playing instruments, singing loudly and like that.

You make it sound so bland. Kind of like "Landing on mars wasn't so great, all they did was sit in a big rocket, and then walk out." Playing instruments (or writing music) is 90% of music, also the only thing that requires skill (besides writing music),which Hip Hop aritsts usually do none of.

P.S. Prog rock has really good and harmonical instrumental music.

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
Better chorus? Most Hip Hop songs these days are just one super long, repetative chorus...

that is modern ones i listen to Old school Rap sometimes and i dont listen to those random ones and the lyrics is better with the ryhtm which is hard to write
Btw by rock i meant those emo ones those ones that just shout i dont like i like ppl like linkin park (although they do shout but it is speacial :D) those kinda rock songs i like and i dont know much about all this different rock :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.