The New Editor Compared to the WarCraft Editor

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Say you have 12 players. Each player has 5 buttons. (On screen buttons for say a custom UI) Uh oh...

Or I'll even use our map for an example. We have 8 players... If we wanted a custom UI for tower building, that's like 50+ towers at 8 players. Not even taking account of the +, 50*8=400 buttons... Uh oh...

50 Buttons is, in fact, very limiting.

Arkless

Reaction score
Say you have 12 players. Each player has 5 buttons. (On screen buttons for say a custom UI) Uh oh...

Or I'll even use our map for an example. We have 8 players... If we wanted a custom UI for tower building, that's like 50+ towers at 8 players. Not even taking account of the +, 50*8=400 buttons... Uh oh...

The limit is only on screen buttons, remember that ^^ (those sucking gui screen buttons)

mapguy

Reaction score
Thus far, Blizzard has ignored a lot of complaints about the editor.

blizzards is clear = THEY ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE WORLD AND GALAXY EDITOR.
In others words, we have to eat the shit they poop, and we have to wait for them to decide to fix one or other bugs...

for me

world editor > galaxy editor
wacraft 3 > starcraft 2 (If both had the same graphics)

punwisp

Reaction score

*cough 16 player limit, *cough

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably new changes will come once Heart of the Swarm is out.

mapguy

Reaction score
SC2 just failed...

diablo 1 was awesome!
warcraft 3 was twice awesome!
diablo 2 was poor...
and SC2 is a fail.

blizzard should do SC2 exactly like WC3, but, with better graphics and systems. They just changed everything and everyone feels confuse. This is not cool.

and the editor is a headache to learn, I would rather learn JASS trice than learning the SC2 editor once.

If blizzard fails with WC3 like they did with SC2...well...I'll abandon computer games and run to my PS(some number)

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
blizzards is clear = THEY ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE WORLD AND GALAXY EDITOR.
In others words, we have to eat the shit they poop, and we have to wait for them to decide to fix one or other bugs...

for me

world editor > galaxy editor
wacraft 3 > starcraft 2 (If both had the same graphics)

Quit being an immature child. I've only heard negativity from you about this.

mapguy

Reaction score
Quit being an immature child. I've only heard negativity from you about this.

Im not negative, Im realist.

The proof of my realism:
(You): Do you believe in god?
(me): no.
(you): so you think he doesn't exist?
(me): no, I just don't believe in his existance.
(you): so, in other words you think he doesn't exist?
(me): no, I just don't think he exists but I also don't think he don't exist, so, I just don't think about it.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Im not negative, Im realist.

The proof of my realism:
(You): Do you believe in god?
(me): no.
(you): so you think he doesn't exist?
(me): no, I just don't believe in his existance.
(you): so, in other words you think he doesn't exist?
(me): no, I just don't think he exists but I also don't think he don't exist, so, I just don't think about it.

(1) Being negative and having a realistic outlook aren't mutually exclusive of one another - while you are perfectly correct in saying there are a number of flaws (some worse than others), there are also good features (the Data Editor being immensely more powerful than WC3's Object Editor, the GUI being a good deal less restricted than Warcraft 3, greater communication between Trigger and Data Editor).

While you feel you are being realistic, you are also being very negative. Warcraft 3 also had stupid flaws (a number of Object Editor abilities lacked editability, usually occuring when duplicated, and I recall that the World Editor had a habit of crashing if the syntax checker found certain types of errors, necessitating the usage of 3rd party software to circumvent the problem) yet you seem to be completely oblivious to these. Admittedly, I may be trying to 'ignore' the flaws in the SC2 Editor (based on my previous posts), but I'd rather spend time trying to find an alternative solution to the problem, rather than getting worked up over it.

While I'm not suggesting you ignore the flaws entirely, I would recommend you see the good things that SC2 has going for it (as well as the bad things going against it)

(2) Er... why would you need to prove your outlook on life?

(3) This is getting a bit off-topic :p

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
SC2 just failed...

diablo 1 was awesome!
warcraft 3 was twice awesome!
diablo 2 was poor...
and SC2 is a fail.

blizzard should do SC2 exactly like WC3, but, with better graphics and systems. They just changed everything and everyone feels confuse. This is not cool.

and the editor is a headache to learn, I would rather learn JASS trice than learning the SC2 editor once.

If blizzard fails with WC3 like they did with SC2...well...I'll abandon computer games and run to my PS(some number)

Speak for yourself. Sure, I didn't play Diablo 1 or 2 and Warcraft 3 was awesome but I don't think SC2 is a fail in comparison. I like the melee part and the custom part as well.

I would really hate if they had made SC2 exactly like WC3. If they did, I wouldn't pay $40-50 for just new graphics.

Sure, lots of things are new but not everyone is confused. Some people actually focus on trying to learn it instead of complaining about the faults of an editor that has been out for less than a month(They have got other issues to work on, they're not really sitting on their offices, rolling their thumbs.)

I'll try making up a relevant metaphor.

[metaphor]
In warcraft 3, we were small kids eating gruel. Some of us added some extra ingredients(3rd party programs) to make it tastier, but all in all, it tasted pretty bad. This was okay though, because we were used to being spoon-fed and it was quite pleasant and it didn't taste that bad.

Now, the years have passed and we're grown up. It's time to eat and make real food. Sure, we have to chew it ourselves and our parents don't spoon feed it to us and we have to actually cook the food ourselves.

However, when you've learned how to eat and how to appreciate this new kind of tasty food. It's really delicious.

Seriously, would you go back to eating gruel?

[/metaphor]

Okay, now, I do realize there are problems with the editor but the problems that disturb me the most are the ones connected to publishing. Size limit, 5 projects published / account, popularity system and censor. I think of the fact that the data editor is hard to understand is not a fault in the editor but an obstacle in my way of mastering the editor.

Also, I can do more stuff with the SC2 editor now(after a month) than I could in a month of trying with the WC3 editor(Sure, I'm older now, but it's still kind of relevant)

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
@ mapguy

Actually wc3 melee SUCKS compared to SCII. T

The entire game is a lot slower than scII. The spellcasters are cooler, but overall every unit has one purpose: To be in battle, weather it is a healer or footman. not only that- your moves are pretty limmited when it comes to ways of attack. If in scII you have hurassment via speedy units (like hellions and lings) hurassment via flying units (mutha/ray/banshee) drops, warp-ins, invisible wats, nuke battles (even though you must be really skilled or your opponent must be an idiot of a proper nuke warfare to tace place) dig in infiltrations (infestors roaches) proxy-ing, taking of sertain points(xel naga watch towers or some hidden map places) ... there are a lot more possibilities, but I will stop here.

Wc3 has just clashes or back doors. (clash is a frontal fight between 2 armies) the slower phase of the game gives you more time to try and do cool moves, but that is basically spam your hero's spells in the right moment. The entire game is slower because of the RPG element. Still, the RPG element is too weak for it to catch up to all those ways of attack in wc3.

What's more, if you destroy a few buildings in wc3, you are most likely the winner, there have been games in SCII when I have had just one proxy pylon or barracks and I have won. in wc3 this is not acheavable. I AM NOT SAYING THAT THE WC3 MELEE IS BAD. No, it is awesome, the rpg element is very well made, sadly this fails to catch up to the SCII gameplay.

Why do you think that wc3 gamers submited to dota where as the SC gameing comunity didn't give in to Aoen Of Strife (oh yes, the very first dota was made in SC hm... )

The editor... is complex, but if you take a good ammount of time to learn it... you will learn it.

EDIT: Diablo II is blizzard's most awesome (sadly not moddable, but meh, you can't mod perfection) product. I recommend it to everyone. (not advertising, someone said that he hadn't played it)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.