The Nintendo Wii

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
So, one of the great perks of working in a video game store is the demos. We just got a demo Wii last Wednesday, and when I went into work yesterday, I was told it was a requirement to learn how to play it. Meaning I got to play it! :D

So, the Wii... IS FREAKING AWESOME! :D The graphics are pretty cool, and the remotes are amazingly fun, even getting used to them. The wireless ones are pretty awesome, as that's the only kind we got. We have a couple of games, but all we did was play the racing game, me and a co-worker, Melinda :D The remote works like a steering wheel. You turn it left or right to drive left or right. The 2 button is your gas, and the directional buttons are all turbos.

I'm so tempted to get one myself, but I'm pretty sure there won't be any for sale til next year.

Best Buy has had people camping outside the store for the past THREE DAYS! The damn thing doesn't come out til the 19th. Another FOUR days away! Jees... Nuts.

The only reason we don't get a camping line at Gamestop is cause we've been telling people that all ours are reserved. We actually had an issue with some of our reserves for the PS3, too, but that's another story.

KillerChi

Reaction score
So, one of the great perks of working in a video game store is the demos. We just got a demo Wii last Wednesday, and when I went into work yesterday, I was told it was a requirement to learn how to play it. Meaning I got to play it! :D

So, the Wii... IS FREAKING AWESOME! :D The graphics are pretty cool, and the remotes are amazingly fun, even getting used to them. The wireless ones are pretty awesome, as that's the only kind we got. We have a couple of games, but all we did was play the racing game, me and a co-worker, Melinda :D The remote works like a steering wheel. You turn it left or right to drive left or right. The 2 button is your gas, and the directional buttons are all turbos.

I'm so tempted to get one myself, but I'm pretty sure there won't be any for sale til next year.

Best Buy has had people camping outside the store for the past THREE DAYS! The damn thing doesn't come out til the 19th. Another FOUR days away! Jees... Nuts.

The only reason we don't get a camping line at Gamestop is cause we've been telling people that all ours are reserved. We actually had an issue with some of our reserves for the PS3, too, but that's another story.
I played the demo of a racing demo too I AGREE WITH YOU
I cant wait til they come out! :D :D :D and i have been waiting FOREVER for the Wii to come out!!!

lh2705

Just another Helper
Reaction score
I read somewhere saying that the Wii is nothing but an overclocked gamecube..
They provided proof, but i didnt check it out...

Don't flame me...

DM Cross

Reaction score
It's got a lot more features and stuff. Your remote works as your memory card, too! You can create one of your own little figures that represent you, save it to your remote and take it to play with your friends.

Could Gamecube's play online? I never had one. You can play online with the Wii, of course :p That's the new big thing for all systems, that they have online capabalities.

lh2705

Just another Helper
Reaction score
Well, Gamecube(i think), ps2 and the xbox all can play online, and they're all not really new..

Anyways...I never heard of the Wii until a few days ago...
I think it should be worth getting since its ALOT cheaper than the ps3..
although the ps3 looks cool :D

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
GC cant go online i believe.

Lol copy and paste from GH.com Seth?? xD

3 more days til it comes out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DM Cross

Reaction score
Yeah, I put this on GH and here. I was tempted to just link back to GH.com, but that's not fair to TH.net :)

Anyway, the PS2 can definitely go online, but I think that was made AFTER the PS2 release... You need to buy something separate to make it work, or something... Iunno. Mine isn't capable of going online.

As for "hearing about the Wii", that's because Nintendo is a promotional idiot. They just started putting more commercials out the other day. WITHIN the week that it comes out!

They SHOULD have been promoting it a bit this past month and they should be putting it into overdrive, now. Instead, they let the month go by in almost complete silence.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if the Wii still did better than the PS3.

1) It's cheaper
2) People won't like their reserves being unfufilled, since Sony apparently couldn't ship as many as they wanted.
3) The PS3 doesn't seem to be as "new" as the Wii with it's wireless-interactiveness.
4) The Wii is a LOT smaller, which I find is better. But that's just me.

Apostle O

Reaction score
Well, Gamecube(i think), ps2 and the xbox all can play online, and they're all not really new..

Anyways...I never heard of the Wii until a few days ago...
I think it should be worth getting since its ALOT cheaper than the ps3..
although the ps3 looks cool :D

The GC had 2 online games... ever. So, yes, it had the capability, but the developers for Nintendo didn't really want to go into that water until it had been tested. thank you Sony, thank you Microsoft... now we will just yoink that market.

100% reverse compatability FTW! (I can't bbelieve I just said FTW...) The Wii can download games from NES, SNES, 64, Sega Genesis, and TurboGrafx-16, for about $5-$10 a game... They plan to launch with 30 games, and release about 10 a month. Take that, suckers!

-Apostle O

KillerChi

Reaction score
The GC had 2 online games... ever. So, yes, it had the capability, but the developers for Nintendo didn't really want to go into that water until it had been tested. thank you Sony, thank you Microsoft... now we will just yoink that market.

100% reverse compatability FTW! (I can't bbelieve I just said FTW...) The Wii can download games from NES, SNES, 64, Sega Genesis, and TurboGrafx-16, for about $5-$10 a game... They plan to launch with 30 games, and release about 10 a month. Take that, suckers!

-Apostle O
Actully there free....with the points if only I was aloud to i would have A lot more capital letters.The points are earned by buying the games.And the nintendos(probaly)First one with more mass internet is the DS the DS is not that bad but compared to the Wii DS will look crappy compared to it.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Hehe, you should here what Jimpy thinks of the Wii, he hates it xD!!

As for me, mine will (hopefully) be coming on my birthday, along with wii sports and (possibly) Legend of Zelda : OOT (if not, then I'll go and buy it, along with WarioWare :p).

I envy all you guys who've already got a chance to play it, so much >_<.

I'd rather not try playing demos in the stores when they're around, since there'll be huge queues there).

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
>>3) The PS3 doesn't seem to be as "new" as the Wii with it's wireless-interactiveness.
PS3 is just as wireless... o_O

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
I believe The Seth was referring more to teh Interactiveness part, but who am I to be sure?

In the next few months, it will all come down to a big decision by me between Xbox 360 and teh Nintendo Wii. It won't be months until I get one, as I have priorities elsewhere with my money, though even so it will be a big deal as it will be a large amount of money for me to spend. Luckily Ryan will pay for half, though :D

Anyways, I have one question for the Wii. I have heard many AMAZING reviews about the Wii's ability to use the controller as if it were a sword, or a Steering Wheel, or a what-not. But I have never heard how GOOD it is. You played it, Seth, so how would you rate it? Is good, okay, bad? It would be greating appreciated if you could give a little more detail on that.

AGAIN, I am sorry if any of my information is correct. I don't follow video games much and all I have heard is from forums or my brother.

Have a nice day, and on a completely different note, good luck with the Photoshopping, which I don't know if your done or not yet.

Byebye :D

DM Cross

Reaction score
I know the PS3 has wireless controllers, too. But think about it. PS1 and 2 have the same design for controllers. It looks like PS3 is basically following that same design. Then the Wii comes out with something that looks more like a remote than a video game controller and they put a lot of emphasis on the fact that it's wireless. PS3 basically promoted the fact that it's an entertainment system in one... But they don't emphasis the gamer ness of it, so... Iunno :D

The thing with the Wii controller is that you have to get used to it. You know how some people move around a lot while playing games? I've seen people play racing car games and lean a lot when they try to turn the car.

You can't really do that with the Wii remotes :D Turning the controller to drive the game, is actually a lot like driving a car. Which may actually bring some older people back into gaming. I'm not a huge fan of driving games because I was never good at them. But this game I was good at :D

Overall, I think doing something like that is more fun. It requires a bit more skill since the game doesn't rely just on how fast you can press a button, but somewhat on your reflexes. Especially in sword games. You have to swing and you have to block. Thus, you have to be somewhat fast and good with a "sword".

I think the wireless controllers are a great idea :) And they're really fun! :D

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
I love you Seth....

I love you.

THE SETH IS RIGHT!

LOL Vegeta lmao!

KillerChi

Reaction score
About the PS3 I hear that PS3 isnt as "new"if you know what I mean.Did you hear about Wal-Marts PS3s?

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
The Wii is out in 15min, and we had 18 in stock -_-

Next week it is :(

InfectedWithDrew

I used to go here a lot.
Reaction score
It sold out like woa where I live. They had to give tickets out to people at Best Buy, and I quote "One ticket per customer. One console per ticket."
Even though they shipped a lot more, they ran out. Nintend-own!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.