The Nintendo Wii

Tonks

Reaction score
lol, at my Wal-Mart, I was there the day the Wii came out, and this huge, I mean HUGE as in muscular, big black guy, shaved head. He looks like a bodyguard. He walks into the store and goes up to the counter and says "I want a Wii."
Now, there's two security guards next to the video game section. They looked like friggin' midgets next to him. He says it again, and the security guard says in a lame voice "Sir, you'll have to wait in line. It wouldn't be fair to the other customers." and the guy stares down the security guard. They eventually just let him buy one because he threatened to steal one ;)

Did you hear about the guy who got first in line for a Wii, (or was it PS3?) bought it, walked about halfway down the line and smashed it on the ground? lol! In front of all those people waiting for it. I think there's a video of him doing it somewhere.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Imagine this... The Wal-Mart near me had a block-long line of people waiting for a PS3, right?

The store had 2 for sale. THAT has to suck!

I know this is the Wii thread, but I haven't played PS3 and can't review it yet :D

Apostle O

Reaction score
I was at work, just talking with my manager about the Wii and the PS3, and we thought of how funny it would be to go up to one of these lines, one hour before the store opens, and cut in front of everyone. Then, when people start to freak out, you spin around, pull a gun, and proclaim, "Alright, I know each of you have at least $500 or a credit card on you. So, now you are going to hand over this money, or you will be shot."

It apparently happened at the PS3 launch. And, even funnier, some guy refused to give up his money. Now he is in the hospital.

Now, does that make me sick?

-Apostle O

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Our Bestbuy got 54 Wii's in on the 19th. They are getting more this week, but then again, it's Nintendo. They want everyone that wants one to have them, not just a select few that were made, like PS3's. Nintendo made a bunch, knowing they would sell good.

What i'm trying to get at: If you want a Wii for Christmas, you WILL get one. Nintendo is shipping a bunch more. It's the complete opposite for the PS3. :p

DM Cross

Reaction score
Believe it or not, but Wii's are also a lot cheaper to make :p That helps!

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Believe it or not, but Wii's are also a lot cheaper to make :p That helps!

No way?! :rolleyes:

Maybe it's because they don't have a cell processer. :p That alone is like, what, $100? :rolleyes:

Haha. I played the Zelda for the Wii today, it's super fun. :D

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Could Gamecube's play online? I never had one. You can play online with the Wii, of course :p That's the new big thing for all systems, that they have online capabalities.

Actually, the Xbox 360's Xbox Live has been around since 2001 when they made it for the Xbox. :p And the PS2 has online capabilities as well, so this really isn't a new thing. The only new thing is that maybe all three re opening their online capabilities a bit more.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
You could play SOME games online on the GCN if you had the network thingy that plugs into the bottom.

But they stopped making game for that, and stopped making the network thing, because the Hax0r companies made mod chips that made it possible to stream ISO files from your computer to the GCN to play them without a CD...

DM Cross

Reaction score
Apparently you can "download" games from previous Nintendo systems, according to my boss? We were telling the customers about the Wii, so I didn't really have time to interrupt :D And then my shift was over, sooo... Obviously I didn't get to get into it more :D But that sounds pretty cool :) I was actually worried that the Wii, with it's wireless controllers and more interactive play wouldn't work with the older system, but hey, whatever :D

Apostle O

Reaction score
100% reverse compatability FTW! (I can't bbelieve I just said FTW...) The Wii can download games from NES, SNES, 64, Sega Genesis, and TurboGrafx-16, for about $5-$10 a game... They plan to launch with 30 games, and release about 10 a month. Take that, suckers!

-Apostle O

Yes, the Wii can download.

And, from what I hear, despite what someone else said in this thread, they do cost about $5-$10 each.

-Apostle O

Krys A Night

Writer
Reaction score
On top of the cost to download, you have to have an account at Nintendo so that you can download the games. There has to be a little fee attatched to getting an account, but as far as that I don't know.

And I think that all the peope that are getting in line, and waiting for days seems a little extreme. Why can't they just go before the store opens, instead of camping out. Not to mentionit's probably safer to do that anyway. Less of a chance for someone to hold up the line or something like that.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Apparently you can "download" games from previous Nintendo systems, according to my boss? We were telling the customers about the Wii, so I didn't really have time to interrupt :D And then my shift was over, sooo... Obviously I didn't get to get into it more :D But that sounds pretty cool :) I was actually worried that the Wii, with it's wireless controllers and more interactive play wouldn't work with the older system, but hey, whatever :D

I belive the sell special controllers that plug into the GCN ports on the top of the Wii ( or they might be wireless as well ) that you use to play the older game.

As for the cost, it goes by "points". You can buy some 2000 "Wii Points" at the store, for about 5$. Then the NES games cost about 1000 ( about $2 - $3 ), then SNES games cost about 2000 ( about $5 ), and N64 games cost 4000 ( about $10 ). Pretty good deal if you ask me. :)

On top of the cost to download, you have to have an account at Nintendo so that you can download the games. There has to be a little fee attatched to getting an account, but as far as that I don't know.

And I think that all the peope that are getting in line, and waiting for days seems a little extreme. Why can't they just go before the store opens, instead of camping out. Not to mentionit's probably safer to do that anyway. Less of a chance for someone to hold up the line or something like that.

My friends waited in line, and they had 54 Wii's to buy ( people walked up in the morning and got them without waiting ). But it's mostly for the fun of waiting, and hanging out with the other Nintendo fans that are also waiting to get their Wii's. They played DS and Hide and Seek in the parking lot, lol.

Oh, and i'm fairly sure that you can get an account for free. It's Nintendo, they want people to ENJOY their console, and not hate it due to all the fee's. Thats what Sony and Microsoft do, with all their online fee's, and thats why Nintendo always sells more consoles. :p

DM Cross

Reaction score
Differences.

Sony: Built a set amount of PS3's and shipped them.
Nintendo: Built as many as possible and shipped them.

Sony: When's the next chance to get a PS3 in a store? Next year.
Nintendo: When's the next chance to get a Wii in a store? 2 weeks.

Word :cool: :shades:

KillerChi

Reaction score
I heard this and I coul not belive what I heard did you know that Sony and Nintendo were actully bussiness partners?Unbeliveable guess thats why they dont make cartridges anymore(unless you call the DS`s "microchip"game a cartridge)Also, you think theres a cost to registering at Nintendo?NOT why in fact I am regsterd to Nintendo. ( :p )

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Nintendo and Sony are -NOT- business partners ;)

And Nintendo's "Carts" are just memory cards, just like for video cameras.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.