The NUON controller people

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
There are more NUON controllers than there are players out there. Has anyone tried to hunt down any of these controller people? What about Logitech? Would they still have specs on the NUON stuff I wonder? Has anyone asked them? What about the other players in the NUON game. HPI - are they still around? I think there is a samsung controller? I am sure samsung has vast archives....

mgarcia

You may change this now in User CP
Reaction score
The bulk polyface chips would have been ordered direct from VM Labs, and sent to their controller manufacturing, small quantities would have been sent to their R&D for design and prototyping, so IMO it's not worth contacting them.

Also, re the docs, the polyface is propriety, so 3rd parties would be told how to use it, not how it works... I guess it encodes/decodes data for NUON, but I haven't looked into it.

I think ST (https://st.com) would be worth contacting and someone really nice and really high up!
TMK they are the ones that hold VM Labs IP and hopefully their tech docs, software source etc.

Last edited:

sixersfan105

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
There are more NUON controllers than there are players out there.
Why do you say that? Pretty sure it's the exact opposite - there are more players than controllers, as the vast majority of consumers bought NUON players as DVD players and had no interest in the gaming aspect. Since only the Samsung N2000 player came bundled with a controller (at least in the US market), consumers would have to purchase controllers separately. Hence why controllers go for far more than players on eBay and similar sites.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
There are more NUON controller types then NUON Player Unit types is what that was supposed to mean.

sixersfan105

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
Ah gotcha! Yeah that Samsung controller that came with the N591 (Korean exclusive) looks to have the worst placement for action buttons EVER! In the middle of the controller directly below start. How could they think that would be a good idea??
samcontop.jpg

midnight8

NUON & Atari VCS Forum Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
someone had given me boxes of controllers years ago and i fixed them and gave them to people on here for the price of shipping, like 5 bucks or 7 bucks something like that. i wonder how many of those people have flipped those controllers for hundreds now. lol

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably not. Nice Find! I think the polyface chip is more complex than people who are working with the controllers think. If somebody could find the code for an existing stick Songbird could copy that. I wonder if Songbird has thought of this? Since there is a chip in the controller maybe we just need to emulate that chip?

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.