WIP The Oath [AOS]

Vylatin

Reaction score
Goal:
The Oath is an AOS, and the main goal is to destroy the enemy main building, by pushing creeps to the enemy base.

- 4vs4
- 2 lanes
- 2 Teams: The Oracle (murlocks) and Frenzyheart Tribe (gnolls)

Progress:
Terrain: 100%
Game Triggers: 70%
Heroes: 9%
Items: 6%
Overall: 185/400 ~ 50%

Features:
So why would you play The Oath?

- Changed Attributes
Hit Points - Increases hit points by 1
Attack Power - Increases damage with weapons by 1
Spell Power - Increases damage with spells by 1

- Unique Combat System
Lets say you are a archer, using a bow. To be able to attack, you must have a bow/crossbow in your inventory (you can find weapons in shops). When you do, an ability will turn up among your other abilities. This ability works like "attack ground", and deals damage depending on your attack power.

If you are a melee hero, you use swords/axes/maces etc. The weapon-abilities here is kinda the same, except the small casting range and that no projectile is sent away.

We also got spellcasters which uses staves and wands. Pretty similiar to "Bow Attack Ground".

- Weapons
Here are some bow examples:
Iron Bow: Decent casting range, decent projectile speed, 2 sec CD
Long Bow: Long casting range, good projectile speed, 2.5 sec CD
Bow of Accuracy: Decent casting range, very fast projectile speed, 2 sec CD
Twice Bow: Adds two abilities to the hero. Each weapon-ability has decent good casting range, decent projectile speed and deals random integer between 1 - attack power damage, 2 sec cd.
Fire Bow: Good casting range, good projectile speed, "Burning Oil" ability, 2 sec cd.

A archer can use bow/crossbow. Can only carry one of this item type.
A melee unit can use sword/axe/mace. Can only carry one of this item type.
A spellcaster can use stave/wand. Can only carry one of this item type.

Items
attribute items, ability items, bombs & traps, potions.

Ressurection Timer
All dead heroes is revived every 90 seconds of game time. With other words; if you die, your revival time is the time left of the ressurection timer. :nuts:

Please tell me what you think. Bad, ok, good, awesome? And if you got suggestions, let me know ^^

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
Oh yay, let's make things nice and complicated with a "realistic" attack system!

You shouldn't allow teamkilling, also...

Xienoph

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Interesting idea of doing resurrection. Why do you do that?

Also, maybe you should make spell casters more different from archers. What are the differences between them?

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
wait. for the attack system, you would have to have to keep mashing the same keys and still have time to cast your spells in conjunction with that, i could see a problem with certain combos? And for ranged heroes. Does the arrow arc? or does it just fly straight, because its rare to find a straight line to your opponent with any enemies in the way in an AoS

Try making it so that when you buy a weapon, you can click to equip it, and when you click on a different weapon you take off your current weapon and replace it with your new weapon. Saves item space

Zack1996

Working on a Map
Reaction score
I think it works like the standard attack ground thing.

Anyway, I'm not really a fan of this kind of combat systems. It irritating sometimes. Is there, perhaps, a reason why you implemented this? I mean, its not easy to aim and stuff and new players would get owned by more experienced ones.
Do you, perhaps, have a special casting system that interacts with this attack system, like you learn passive spells that trigger when you attack and such. If that is the case, no problem, its cool. Otherwise, I don't really think it would really fit in an AoS. Not to mention that melee heroes would have more problems chasing enemy heroes and such.

However, good luck. I hope to see a product that proves me wrong :)

Reaction score
I, for once, like this type of system but
> You shouldn't allow teamkilling, also...
this. It sounds quite an interesting and promising map, the terrain seemed good from what I saw.

> and new players would get owned by more experienced ones.
It has always been like this in every map. You just can't make everything to its most basic level - it just loses its uniqueness and possibly the point of acquiring new skills and techniques to create different combinations of play style. Besides, people (not many, sadly) aren't that stupid and would usually understand the concept and quickly adapt to it.

Do you have any idea when this is going to be finished? Not exact date, just some approximate period since I wanna test it.

Vylatin

Reaction score
Interesting idea of doing resurrection. Why do you do that?

Thought it was a fun idea :)

Also, maybe you should make spell casters more different from archers. What are the differences between them?

Some of the spellcaster weapon abilities will do instant damage to units within the area. Some weapon examples; firebolt staff, frostbolt staff (freeze effect?), +++

for the attack system, you would have to have to keep mashing the same keys and still have time to cast your spells in conjunction with that, i could see a problem with certain combos?

The spells more helps you out. For the hunter I made 2 abilities so far; Multi Net (ensnare on multiple units) and Envenomed Arrow (deals damage and decreases armor). What to do when the target has decreased armor and is bound to the ground? ;)

Does the arrow arc?

Yes it do.

melee heroes would have more problems chasing enemy heroes and such.

For some heroes yes. But long swords with greater swing area could probably fix it!

> and new players would get owned by more experienced ones.
It has always been like this in every map. You just can't make everything to its most basic level - it just loses its uniqueness and possibly the point of acquiring new skills and techniques to create different combinations of play style. Besides, people (not many, sadly) aren't that stupid and would usually understand the concept and quickly adapt to it.

Exactly. It maybe is difficult in the beginning, but difficult is IMO fun! :)

Do you have any idea when this is going to be finished? Not exact date, just some approximate period since I wanna test it.

Don't know, but could probably come up with a demo so you guys can test some weapons and so on :)

Thx for the love!! <3

You can no more damage allies now!

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
Seems like an interesting twist to an AoS type map. Combines the popular AoS style with more complicated and skill based games like Archer Wars.

I think it would be a nice idea to change the icon position for the skill you get when you aquire an item to the top right of the control pannel (where the attack icon use to be). Just seems more intuitive than it's current location.

That would also separate the spells from your attack skill (possibly even giving one more spot for a spell?).

Also as for the spells of each hero, I think it would be a cool idea for them to have 2 passive and 2 active spells (assume you want to have 4 spells).

The passive spells wil simplify gameplay for the players, as they will not need to spam everything they have to kill people, and create more time for better spell/attack placement, making gameplay more fun in my opinion.

The passives should also be based off the current "attack" skill the hero has. You could have some basic passives, like adding to attack damage (agility), and then some more complicated ones like increasing the range of any bow you pick up and what not.

The active spells I think you already have a grasp on. But yeah try to ensure they are unique to each hero.

Anywho, I'm looking forward to seeing the progression of this game, nice work so far and good luck. :thup:

Vylatin

Reaction score
I think it would be a nice idea to change the icon position for the skill you get when you aquire an item to the top right of the control pannel (where the attack icon use to be). Just seems more intuitive than it's current location.

The icon position is now above your spells instead - (1,1) :) When you have dual wield - (1,1 + 1,2)

Also as for the spells of each hero, I think it would be a cool idea for them to have 2 passive and 2 active spells (assume you want to have 4 spells).

I like that idea. Will think on it for sure :)

The active spells I think you already have a grasp on. But yeah try to ensure they are unique to each hero.

All heroes will have different abilities, so won't be a problem ^^ Attribute bonus may be an advantage though...

Anywho, I'm looking forward to seeing the progression of this game, nice work so far and good luck.

Nice to hear :) Thanks for your post, helped me out a bit! Feel free to share more suggestions ^^

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.