The Official Writer's Corner Chit-Chat Thread

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Eh, I'd say you can. If I'm writing about a war, and I make up a name that in no way reflects the story, then that can't be a very good title. A title can be bad if it doesn't get the author's point across.

You know I think that the topic of titles would get us way off-topic. So I'd make a thread for that discussion.

I

IKilledKEnny

Nice, doesn't 'speak' to me I don't like to write in a 'stiff' way, I like to fexliable but certainly nice, you get +REP from me.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Nice, doesn't 'speak' to me I don't like to write in a 'stiff' way, I like to fexliable but certainly nice, you get +REP from me.
Stiff, nice? What are you talking about? o_O

I write because I like writing, and if it seems stiff then I felt stiff that day. :p

Zakyath

Reaction score
Writing poetry and lyrics, give to writer a possibility to construe in lots of ways, it's much, much more intresting to read something that just doesn't say things out loud, leaves some thinking to you. But it's always good if you can give hints on what your idea was, just writing black on white what you feel a small child can do. Be deep.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
In order to dash the possibility of getting flamed, you might want to put a little disclaimer at the bottom of this;

WARNING! Not all of these tips will work for you! Everyone is different, just like their imagination! Different people have different problems, which require different solutions!

Just a thought.

Arcane

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
@Zakyath: Yes but, if you weren't good with poetry and lyrics to begin with, you wouldn't know how to do something like that in the first place, and it wouldn't help. And if you were good with writing poetry and lyrics already, you wouldn't have to learn anymore. :rolleyes:

Good tip though, I can't believe I (or anyone else) didn't think of it and put it up.

@Seth: I hardly think that's necessary, it's not like I'm forcing them to try out whatever I write there. Seriously, if somebody is really bored enough to come in and flame me because one of my tips didn't work... >_>

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Yes, I agree.

If somebody is really bored enough to come in and flame you because of one of your tips not working, it would create more work for me :) We don't want that. Do we? [Correct answer; No.]

All the same, it's up to you. Woe betide the people who make more work for me, though ^.^

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
i find having a notebook and pen or pencil always nearby handy. That way you can Jot down inspiration when it hits you!!

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
a lot of people say that writers dont just get up one day and say, "I want to make this story or that story." but the wierd thing is, that's what I do.

When I feel like writing things down, emotion, a want, or anything, I just do it. Then I change it later.

I have proved that statement wrong!

*Tip: When you have something like an emotion, a feeling, a want, an idea, write it (or type) it down quickly before you forget!

duyen

Reaction score
Random Name Generator

Ever had problems coming up with a name for your character? You could try using this.

Arcane

Reaction score
That type of thing isn't completely useless really.

Usually, you want to find a name that is just right for your character, the taste, the meaning, the length, the sound of the name is all (give or take) important, and that's something a machine can't make.

However, sometimes, if you're really stuck with a name, you can browse through some random names on the net, and occasionally they may inspire you. I think I've had one or two character names that I've used which were either found off the internet (it just fit like a glove), or found and changed slightly to fit better.

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
Good tips dude:thup:, but I'm quite a proficient writer nowadays and I'm self-taught w/ these things.

My tip for freehand writing: Writing will definitely make your hands hurt a bit when you've overdone it. Try to give your hand some rest, maybe 5-10 minutes or so, then do some hand exercises. An exhausted hand doesn't write as good as a vigorous hand, it also affects your writing and a whole lot of stuff. This is true for me, I always get my hands tired and it ruins the whole concept in your mind and you focus on your hands, which makes writing a bit difficult for you.

Seb!

Reaction score
Keep a notebook next to your bed to record your dreams. They have interesting plot lines, events, and sometimes even characters.

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
I have me a character profile sheet that helped me create Alistair.

If you guys want it i can post it here.

Arcane

Reaction score
UPDATED

I've wanted to update this thread for a long time now.

Seems like I wrote all those tips a long, long time ago, when I was still young and foolish.

:)

*Bit tired now, so I might've missed some additional points I wanted to add also. I'll look over it all again sometime soon.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
That type of thing isn't completely useless really.

Usually, you want to find a name that is just right for your character, the taste, the meaning, the length, the sound of the name is all (give or take) important, and that's something a machine can't make.

However, sometimes, if you're really stuck with a name, you can browse through some random names on the net, and occasionally they may inspire you. I think I've had one or two character names that I've used which were either found off the internet (it just fit like a glove), or found and changed slightly to fit better.

When choosing a character name, here is a good method.

Find out the characters personality and role in thwe story. Then, go to a site like baby names, and search by meaning for what you need.

Say the character is a friend, search for meanings like friend, beloved, etc...

That way, you get a good name and it has meaning beyon just "sounded good I guess..."

Krys A Night

Writer
Reaction score
A good site to get names from is behindthename.com. It has a search for the meanings and has a wider selection to choose from, as well as letting you know exactly what it comes from and what it means.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
14. Inspiration can come from the unlikeliest of places. A writer always keeps an open, idea-hungry mind.

lol, Nom-Nom-Nom-where are my ideas?

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.