Report The Pavlov Poke Shocks You When You Use Facebook Too Much

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score

Do you spend too much time on Facebook? Why not administer non-lethal shocks to your body when you click over to your News Feed! Two Ph.D. candidates at MIT, Robert R. Morris and Dan McDuff, did just that when they realized that they were spending over 50 hours on the service per week combined, and the results – and questions their project raises – are quite interesting.

“The shock’s unpleasant but it’s not dangerous,” said co-creator McDuff. However, they do hurt. The system watches your actions and sends a signal to an Arduino board that, in turn, administers the shock. Over time the user will tend to avoid Facebook and/or rock silently in the corner, quietly weeping. The system uses a specially wired keyboard rest to send the pain.

Did it work?

“We’re not sure,” said Morris. “To be truly effective, many shock exposures are probably needed. Proper conditioning procedures should be followed. Sadly, we found the shocks so aversive, we removed the device pretty quickly after installing it. Anecdotally, however, I did notice a significant, though temporary, reduction in my Facebook usage.”

Read more about it here: http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/22/the-pavlov-poke-shocks-you-when-you-use-facebook-too-much/

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I might need this ;)

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Bill Murray did these kinds of tests in the 1st Ghostbusters. I love it!

Had to watch Ghostbusters again because I didn't remember this part. Haha, don't know how I didn't. Good ol' Bill Murray!

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.