The Perfect Tattoo

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
There is no clock in this room. The movie Amastad is playing and I begin to get sucked into the brutality of it. Of course the mind wanders and I find myself staring at the tattoo on the shoulder of the girl wearing the halter top in front of me to the left. The tattoo itself is a flower, each petal an alternation of green and violet, the center a sort of off yellow. The one thing I can think of, the only thing I can think of, is that the tattoo very much goes with the overall style of the girl. I have never really liked any tattoos, not particularly, but I really liked this tattoo.

The mind wanders and I start thinking of a novel, a short story, perhaps a poem even, about this girl and her perfect tattoo. A story about me, the artist, portrayed as an unknown character, who is looking for a good subject for his next painting and happens upon this girl with her perfect tattoo.

Amazing, he thinks. Extraordinary, he thinks. The perfect subject, the voluptuous image of an anti-conformist baring her tattoo to the world as if to say, "I am not a robot!" How to say, how to ask? How to bring the idea, the master plan, how to bring her to light, the girl of his wildest imagination? A bump? A simple request to borrow an eraser, upon which he takes notice of the perfect tattoo?

"I am an artist," He would say, "looking for a subject for my next painting." After seeing the perfect tattoo. "Your tattoo, it caught my eye and I have to say, it goes with your style, it brings you together."

"Thank you!" She should say, "A friend of mine owns a tattoo parlor and made it especially for me. Although it took me a long time to decide what to have."

"Well you friend has a gift to be able to match the style with the person." Is what I would reply, and one has to wonder, have I flattered enough? Am I in the clear? Have I hinted my point to obviousness? As my chest would be pounding, my heart exploding, the moment before asking what has to be asked, I ponder the time I had failed a class in middle school. This is a girl, a girl and not a twisted mother who would end my life where I stood, so I ponder, I have no regrets.

"I was wondering, if you don't mind, would you like to be the subject of my next painting?" I ask as my elbow pushes a paper clip off the table.

A pause, a hesitation, am I deemed a creep? A weirdo, a jerk, an ecstatic freak? I look straight at her, awaiting a reply, she looks back at me, and the hours pass by. Eternity passes and still she is silent, then at long last she makes her reply.

"That would be awesome, I have never been in a painting before. What do I need to do?" She says as the paper clip strikes the floor.

My heart explodes and the blood passes down, I feel very warm and I fear I have Drowned. "You will? Excellent! All you have to do is make sure you wear something that shows your tattoo, it really adds character. If you want, I can paint you in person, or you can provide me with a picture."

"If I was painted in person? Would that be more brilliant?" She asks me with concern. I look straight at her and know deep down that in person would be the greatest joy I could receive.

"It would be more brilliant, there is no photo that can be as detailed as the real thing." I feel I have won, like now it is done and there is not a thing that will stop this painting from happening.

"Ok, here is my number, let me have yours. I guess we can meet at wherever it is you paint?"

It seems I have lost track as reality comes back, telling me I had forgotten my sense. I look up and see the Amastad's credits scroll down, realizing only that my chance has passed by. The girl has stood up and walked out the door, leaving me lonely with subjects in mind.

edit - fixed the tense shifts.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Woah...

Nice, but why is there like "should" and "would" say? Are they talking or is the man just visualizing it? Or is that whole thing the picture he is going to paint?

Or is that really happening? :D Anyways, that was good. The style reminds me of Edgar Allen Poe, :eek:. It's not horror or a gothic tale or anything but we just recently read Poe in school so I guess that's why it seems to me like that. How you describe the feelings deeply and stuff, that's great and detailed. :thup:

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Krys A Night

Writer
Reaction score
I like the stream-of-conciousness feeling to this story.

Though the ending is ambigous, what exactly is going on in the story? How can the main character tell that the tattoo is perfect for the girl if he hasn't spoken to her?

Overall, it's a good story, but it need some more details.

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
It's supposed to be like he daydreams too much instead of actually going after what he wants. So he loses out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.