General The pros and cons of having otaku parents, according to Japanese anime fans

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
”I wish my mom would stop trying to make me a boys’ love fan,”laments frustrated son.

While certain popular anime series have had cult followings in Japan since at least the 1970s, until recently being a full-on otaku was something that most people grew out of as they got married and had kids. But with anime being a more prevalent pop culture force than ever before in Japan, as well as an unprecedented number of women in the hard-core fanbase, Japan is starting to see the largely unprecedented phenomenon of otaku parents.

A family where mom and/or dad are seriously into anime makes for a unique upbringing, as highlighted in a recent tweet from Japanese Twitter user @xamethyx.

“The good things about having parents who are otaku:
● You don’t have to hide your otaku merch
● You know they’ll never throw your otaku stuff away when you’re not home
● If you feel like it, you can try to get them into the series you’re following.

The difficult thing about having parents who are otaku:

● When your mom (who’s in her 50s) starts singing ‘Bath time♪ Bath time♪ Bath tiiiime♪’ and imitating the voice of [A Certain Magical Index female lead] Index.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Well i didn't understand a fucking word of that.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't blame you if you're referring to some of the phrases from various anime series.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Even if i got that, i think the cultural differences exclude me from grasping what is being discussed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.