The Terrain Thread

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Here's a work in progress:
untitled-27.jpg

And here's a finished product:
untitled-28.jpg

Comments and improvements would be helpful(by the way, this is a bit based of Majora's mask swamp)

Here are some more pics:
untitled-29.jpg

untitled-31.jpg

untitled-32.jpg

untitled-33.jpg

Tythoid

Reaction score
Stick to one tree type palm trees ,purple trees and evergreens plus the purple background dont colour match very well and the effect is quite painful to the eyes :cool: plus dont just use one tile use some earth and some rock for the river and cliffs or sand for the beach and the double waether effect reduces the detail of far away areas and hides alot of the terrain youve worked to put together. I like the the use of scrub, the camera angles and the groups of mountains/cliffs it makes it a bit more lively. Altogether it has promise :thup:

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
The finished product looks a lot better in game. The only reason I used a purple sky is because its the cloosest thing to blue fog. There are so many different trees because it makes it look more like the Zelda Majora's mask swamp. The terrain(dirt, grass) will be changed. I also want to try to make this playable.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really don't like the blue fog and your tree choice is not the best. Palm trees should not be near trees that should be in forests.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Yea, the blue fog fits the swamp theme the best and no I won't make it black because it will look bad. The palms I used because it looks good for me. I'll try to replace them.

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
>"The only reason I used a purple sky is because its the cloosest thing to blue fog."

Eh... besides blue sky. You see, it depends on the fog density. The thicker the fog is, the more its color has to be in the same color than the sky, or else they will clash horribly (like in your first two screenshots).

>"There are so many different trees because it makes it look more like the Zelda Majora's mask swamp."

Well, it looks bad right now, really. That it looks good in WC is more important than the resemblance with some other game.
The palms don't fit in there at all, they're far too bright and they are... palms. And that sunken ruins tree with ferns as leaves sucks in general.
Same goes for the dead trees. Yeah, it's supposed to be a swamp so you placed dead trees in the water. That's generally not wrong, but it just doesn't go well with all the other (well... not dead) trees around.
There are different kind of swamps, and right now it looks like you threw a few different types together.

FireEffect

Gasp!
Reaction score
Ok, just some WIP terrain. I have to add fog, sky, and create the city inside the walls, and touch up on a few other things. But how does it look so far?

terrain03.png

terrain02.png

terrain01.png

Tythoid

Reaction score
It looks great so far 2 things you could improve besides the obvious aka putting something in the castle :D

1. The two bridges shouldnt they have dirt paths leading to them too? And wouldn't you chop down trees right infront of the bridge ? :)

2. Lighting to create focal points or maybe some units to show activity bring it to life especially in the water. Boats fishermen ect

FireEffect

Gasp!
Reaction score
Yeah I havent added many people yet, but they will be coming soon. And ill remove the trees around the bridges and add paths.

EDIT:

terrain04.png

terrain05.png

terrain06.png

EDIT - Oops, you can see the cameras in the last picture.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Looks pretty cool. Nice work. All I see is that you should add a sky and a background of something far down in the water.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
In the first picture, I think you should shrink the fountain, because it looks too big.

I like the looks of the last picture :thup:

FireEffect

Gasp!
Reaction score
I see floating trees.

Yeah, i'm not surprised. I fixed some of the really noticeable ones, but i probably missed a lot.

EDIT - Eh im going to start a new terrain now, im done with this one, but heres the final pictures that I took.

terrain09.png

terrain08.png

terrain07.png

This last one has a really noticeable floating tree, forgot to look for those again.

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
Tada!

I started terrraining, I decided to start at the bottom, and climb my way up!

Picture of the Frozen Throne.
(Made last year)
terrainthefrozenthronefi9.jpg
Please comment.

Question: What happens if Warcraft IV is made? Will people still play Warcraft III and create maps?

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
If the Lich King is supposed to be the center of focus, why is he small and off to the right slightly? The center of focus in your screenshot seems to be the top of the waygate.

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
Good point, I have just looked over the last 10 - 20 pages of this thread, hopefully this will give me an idea.

OK.... I have just did another Frozen Throne:

terrainfrozenthroneremavs4.jpg

I have also tried to make a City/Altar thingy: (Press CTRL + A, while in your browser (Select ALL))
(Anyone know why there is a yellow light on the far-away Low Walls?, its not the fog))
terrainthesunwellzg6.jpg

Dark evil version?
terraindarksunwellmm1.jpg
terraindarksunwell02ns6.jpg
Question:
What is a good image editor? I have Paint and it sucks, you can't ZOOM OUT.
I have Irfanview but it's kinda only good for viewing and adding effects, is it a good cropper but?
GIMP, I have it, but too long to load, and confusing.

What I need:
Just a basic program that can, draw, crop (Cut out) and resize.

I

Isa

I'd recommend Paint.NET. Very easy to learn, a very good community with loads of tutorials to get you started, and got all sort of neat features you might wanna use.

However, it can of course just be used for the resizing and cropping :p

http://www.getpaint.net/

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
I know that Program, but I don't have it.

I've used it at school :p

Thanks.

What do you think of my pictures? And, ever since I posted, there hasn't been replies? I don't stink do I?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.