The Trigger Editor

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It seems that Blizzard genuinely intended everything to be done using the GUI editor.
The raw galaxy editor seems to be quite hopeless, and the scripts can't even be easily implemented into the map.

After some looking around, I found that within a library, as well as 'triggers'; 'definitions' and 'functions' could be made, which seem to closely resemble programming methods of sorts.
For example, the 'blank' action definition is the following:
Trigger:
  • UntitledAction001
    • Options: Action
    • Return Type: void
    • Parameters
    • Grammar Text: Untitled Action 001()
    • Hint Text: (None)
    • Custom Script Code
    • Local Variables
    • Actions

An example of a random complete function:
Trigger:
  • TriggerDebugOutput
    • Options: Action, Native
    • Return Type: void
    • Parameters
      • type = 1 <DebugMessageType>
      • msg <text>
      • ui = true <Do_Do_Not_Option>
    • Grammar Text: Display ~msg~ as debug output using ~type~, and ~ui|Do/Do Not~ display it in the game window
    • Hint Text: (None)
    • Custom Script Code

So they've put GUI and Galaxy into a blender, and we're given the result.
Comments?

Edit I
Have some screenshots

The Galaxy editor:

The Trigger Editor:
Untitled.png

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
It's not that bad because they let you put whatever you want into the custom script for the actions...

It's horrible because my mouse will be worn out in the next 3 days. :)

Good ol' typing, ftw...

I agree. The positive about it is that they have actually improved in terms of how usable GUI is.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd much prefer raw typing rather than clicking around.
It's not only slow, but annoying too.

On a positive note, I added some screenshots to the first post.

EpicFlux

Reaction score
Keep in mind it's still just Beta. I'm sure they are getting horrible feedback for how the new scripting system works. Might see some changes on release for better scripting, though the GUI revamp is very nice and I'm sure people will get used to it. Might become quite fun to use.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
Hm. The editor cannot yet parse pointers, yet SC2 itself can.
JASS:
typedef int[3] ArrType;
ArrType testArr;
void readattwo (ArrType* ar){
	UIDisplayMessage(PlayerGroupAll(), c_messageAreaSubtitle, StringToText(IntToString((*ar)[2])));
}
bool testthings (bool testConds, bool runActions) {
	ArrType* someVar = &testArr;
	testArr[2]=7;
	testArr[1]=9;
	testArr[0]=3;
	readattwo(someVar);
    return true;
}

Doesn't parse. :p

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm getting used to it, actually.
It's great for learning and the sort, and I seem to be able to input Galaxy code directly into definitions and functions.
I still need to click around to actually use my functions and definitions though.

I do actually like how much flexibility there is in the GUI. Even something as simple as selecting a string parameter gives a vast choice of options.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The 'labels' are were the function, action, definition (we need a single word for all of these, don't we?) in the function list.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
AHHAH! They implemented libraries in GUI. They can be created/imported/exported to files. I can see how the resources section is gonna work @TH probably... a bunch of .SC2Lib files.

They're all usable from GUI and codable in whatever you feel like. This could get interesting! :D

Can you please elabroate?

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can make 'libraries', which can contain triggers, definitions, functions, etc.
They can then be exported as .SC2Lib files, which can be imported into another editor, so the contents can be used. 'Label's can be added to make things easier for the user to find.

It seems elements within the libraries can be marked as internal, public and even deprecated. How awesome. :p

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
You can make 'libraries', which can contain triggers, definitions, functions, etc.
They can then be exported as .SC2Lib files, which can be imported into another editor, so the contents can be used. 'Label's can be added to make things easier for the user to find.

It seems elements within the libraries can be marked as internal, public and even deprecated. How awesome. :p

That sounds okay. Blizzard has improved :O

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.