The Westboro Baptist, they dont screw around

quraji

zap
Reaction score
According to the video (2:10-2:20), god is a hermaphrodite?

I have pictures of these guys protesting in Provincetown, MA (a predominantly gay town). All they accomplished was inspiring a bunch of dudes to make out in front of them. It's so funny seeing buff dudes kissing...

>>If you did something like this without the banner of religion you would be arrested, or placed in a mental health care facility.

Why?

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Well it's quite disrespectful to the family to protest political views at someones funeral...

Well, yes, it is disrespectfull, but I don't think they are breaking the law, or something, sadly. ATM, you can only say they are idiots for doing that, but you can't do anything legal against them. Meh, freedom of speech...

I would go and beat the crap out of their religious asses if I would be part of that family.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Quite an excellent song for a hate crime, if I must say. Even though their logic is a huge contradiction. They see themselves above everyone else, and are saying everyone else is going to hell. Which is actually against what the teachings of the Bible are.

Technically they have a right of free speech, but once it crosses the line and their almost to that point. Where they encourage immediate violence or cause a Hate Crime, the Constitution isn't going to save them.

BBC has a huge documentary on them.

Its quite interesting; I still love the first part when she tries to say 'Not Being Gay' is in the 10 Commandments.
Oh and the old guy flicking them off at the intersection for them protesting a funeral

Last edited by a moderator:

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Well, yes, it is disrespectfull, but I don't think they are breaking the law, or something, sadly. ATM, you can only say they are idiots for doing that, but you can't do anything legal against them. Meh, freedom of speech...

I would go and beat the crap out of their religious asses if I would be part of that family.

It isn't illegal, I meant I don't see how a "church" could protest things, let alone have signs that say "God Hates Fags", at someones funeral.

We have a branch somewhere around LA I believe, and they go to many funerals of fallen soldiers and protest.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
It isn't illegal, I meant I don't see how a "church" could protest things, let alone have signs that say "God Hates Fags", at someones funeral.

We have a branch somewhere around LA I believe, and they go to many funerals of fallen soldiers and protest.

I think they have a Florida branch, I am not sure.
Anyway, I find it stupid for them to be dissing America and its troops because the only thing protecting them from being shot is the American Constitution.

CatCat

Reaction score
After I saw the documentary I couldn't help but loving them even more! They are sincerely thinking they are helping the world, that they are doing it out of love. That it is their duty to warn the people of their sins! And that genuine feeling of compassion touched me. Although their presentation may be hate mongering at first sight, they genuinely want to help people!

People do not have the right to judge or condemn others, only god. This usually doesn't happen in a very clear way, nor is it verifiable.

But we are only human, why should we follow these "rules" when there is no clear penalty? We are but human, we are what we make of ourselves. I therefore find it very important to look at everyone plainly as human beings.
There is no good or bad, after all...we created those concepts.

I seriously want to visit the Westboro baptist church and live with them for a week or 2, just for the experience. I think I get kicks from culture shocks:p....

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
>> I therefore find it very important to look at everyone plainly as human beings.

They're not, so why should you?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I think these were the guys I got in a fight with at my friend's funeral.

CatCat

Reaction score
>> I therefore find it very important to look at everyone plainly as human beings.

They're not, so why should you?

They are people :(. many of us would definitely agree that they are very mislead and are very controversial, but who am I to Judge?. What I can deduct is that they are doing these things out of pure compassion, right? What they are doing is to us, just wrong. But to them it is their duty; and they are doing their duty out of love. This I cannot deny.

I cannot expect the world to be a better place if we cannot even try to see the world through other people's eyes.

I am gay myself but I hold nothing more than understanding for these people. Their actions are wrong*, their motives are pure; and for that I can only forgive.

*The word "wrong" here is used in a general sense and may not apply to everyone.

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
You have to ask yourself what it really means to judge. Judging isn't a taboo and it isn't against any social, governmental, or religious laws. It is a minor form of classification which is a tree of logic. Your assumption that they are doing it out of pure compassion is a judgement of their character. It's not wrong to do that, in fact it is quite smart. We use that reasoning to configure our trust. Most people wouldn't give their wallet to someone to hold for whatever reason in a run down ghetto of a town. It's profiling to a point, yeah I'd agree. Not doing so would probably get your wallet stolen. You've used the deduction that money is tight in this area and people are most likely being driven to desperation. Who are you to judge? You are intelligent and human, as you like to say. There is no need for further explaination. The only problem is people judging to an extreme extent. Like many things in life extremist destroyed it. The value of the tool has been buried in a fear of becoming a hate monger yourself. Well, prejudice at least. People still seem to overly value juding people based on their actions. Also quite handy but easily misleading. Don't really want to get into that though.

Of course the only real way to understand someone is to get to know them. Always the best option, though it isn't always available.

CatCat

Reaction score
I try to not look at the actions of people, but rather their intentions. These people aren't doing things with bad intentions are they? I cannot judge them as bad people while knowing this.

I sincerely believe it isn't right to react with hostility towards people with good intentions.

Frankly I got bored of everyone hating this family, it's just too easy. Anyways I thought it was a perfect opportunity to stir some controversy.

P.S. When I said "Judging people" I meant Judging them as "good" or "bad" people.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
At first they offended me, but they're actually beautiful if you see them in the right light.

quraji

zap
Reaction score
At first they offended me, but they're actually beautiful if you see them in the right light.

Can you elaborate a bit more? Tolerating them is one thing...but beautiful? What light are you looking through?
They're more hateful and ignorant than even your normal Christian. And parading around with "Thank God for 9/11" signs really does not sit right with me.

These guys make regular Christians look like, well...Christians...

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
These guys make regular Christians look like, well...Christians...

Regular Christians are people who put up signs that say God bless America. They give a lot of money to charities all over the world. They are active in America's political system. Christians are good people. Atheists are good people too.

You just got to see that neither "side" wears a uniform. We're all the human race.

Your comment was slightly offensive.

Reaction score
The idea that these people have good intentions is simply rubbish. They may rationalize their actions on the basis of a "greater good", but they are clearly motivated more by hatred than anything else. Even if their intentions were as pure as they claim, they are still accountable for their own actions.

I do not see dictators, tyrants and terrorists being excused of their crimes on the basis that they thought they were acting in the interests of a greater good.

CatCat

Reaction score
The idea that these people have good intentions is simply rubbish. They may rationalize their actions on the basis of a "greater good", but they are clearly motivated more by hatred than anything else. Even if their intentions were as pure as they claim, they are still accountable for their own actions.

I do not see dictators, tyrants and terrorists being excused of their crimes on the basis that they thought they were acting in the interests of a greater good.

This is where I disagree. I don't think we have the right to state "they are clearly motivated more by hatred than anything else" or "The idea that these people have good intentions is simply rubbish"

No, Tyrants, Terrorist, dictators wouldn't be excused of their "crimes" on basis on what they thought was good, You are correct. But that doesn't make them bad people. We consider them bad because their ideas are just not compatible with the winning side. I do not believe in good people or bad people, I only believe in people.

It's very easy to point the finger and way "these are evil people". It's very easy to condemn someone to death because they are "very naughty" people. Which is all great and fine right? It solves the problem!
It's a lot harder to understand one another, I know, but it would allow us to realize we are all human. This is the key to an open mind.

I'm not trying to spread hatred or love, I'm trying to spread understanding.

I've heard a lot of bad bad things about this Westboro Baptist church, and I do have the urge to just say that these people should go to hell themselves, in the end I am human too; But I will not. It goes against my principles. I do not feel I have the right to label people as evil or good, to condemn to hell or heaven, in any circumstance, because I am not God.

I have come to the point in my life where I don't really have an opinion anymore, I really couldn't care less what people think about this church, I don't really care about them either. What I do care about is that people use critical thinking on everything, meaning they think twice and be more open minded.

Writing is so hard.... I think I'm going to confuse a lot of people now..

quraji

zap
Reaction score
Regular Christians are people who put up signs that say God bless America. They give a lot of money to charities all over the world. They are active in America's political system. Christians are good people. Atheists are good people too.

You just got to see that neither "side" wears a uniform. We're all the human race.

Your comment was slightly offensive.

Regular Christians also practice violence, hypocrisy, etc. Everyone else does too. I was joking.

And you didn't elaborate on your original comment :(

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
there is actually only one question for westboro.

When is enough enough? How far do you expect them to go? Lets say you meet a westboro person. What happens when you become great friend, he becomes your best friend. Then 5 years later. You told him you were gay. Maybe westboro is crazy when they are in groups. But alone, its up to their own moral standards on what to do. Look at each person individually, then you can decide if westboro is really a good church.

Christian means little Christ. I highly doubt that Christ would go to such extremes. He supported extreme views but maybe you can get carried away.

When you dont care, that probably means they never affected you yet.

CatCat

Reaction score
When you dont care, that probably means they never affected you yet.

Silly you, I don't care because it helps me keep things in perspective. I just think I can step back and look at things better when there is almost no personal opinion attached.

Perhaps you are right when they haven't done anything to me "yet". But just because someone hasn't done anything to you yet doesn't necessarily mean one would/wouldn't care, or vica versa.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.