The World Editor Relief

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I like it too, it's very deep and if you really wanted, you could go on and on about what "the mind" really is...See, that's something you have to love about poetry, it goes where most people don't.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
It's okay, SF, but why did you break "the mind is a labyrinth of..." off of the other sentence? Poems are not just about writing short sentences, and they're not about rhymes either. They need to have a flow. If they have a flow, the poem will satisfy the reader and will get a positive vote.

Well in that case, I like your idea a lot, Alexander. Yet ANOTHER vampire map in Warcraft is rather boring, but an RPG one with depth, feeling, and much more work put into it would get a lot more popularity. Maybe you and I could organize a custom campaign. Begin with the vampire story, but after it's done you unlock the Witch story, which will of course have a main character and the like.

I think I shall go to bed for today (almost becoming tomorrow). I might reply to the next few posts, I might not.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Deffinately, Rin...That's something I run into just about everytime I get a new page :p Having it flow is one of the hardest things to do...Personally, I like mine to rhyme...Do they all have to? Hell no! My friend/twin Becki also writes poetry, but she doesn't rhyme hers, and I love all her work...So that's a matter of preference, but that flow, that feeling you need to get out of it is a must! :D

DM Cross

Reaction score
Hmm, let me put it this way: The IDEA is good, but work more on feeling then structure, if that makes any sense to you :D

edit

Heh, so glad we made this :D lol, it's already a hot thread :p

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
What do you mean SF?

And anyway, the poem COULD be a little longer, as Alexander was mentioning. However, as I've said, I think it's pretty good. I just wonder why it jumps in and out of rhyming with a somewhat random melody. It doesn't ring too badly, but I wouldn't (no offense) vote it as a masterpiece either.

Shadowy Fear

I have returned
Reaction score
id like to help with the vampire campaign as well :D my battlenet name is cybertiger if you need to contact me :) *yawn* got to go now bye

DM Cross

Reaction score
Actually, I gotta get some sleep, the moving of kelly (sister) is tomorrow, and I need to make sure we get most of the crap over there so I can see Jessica on Friday :D Later, and again: SO glad we made this! :p

DM Cross

Reaction score
...What?! Lol, no idea what that refers to!

-Edit-

good night :p

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
I just can't fall asleep fully for the moment.

FYI SF, I don't know if you're there, but this is a continuation of what I meant.

Another part of having a successful flow is determining various things about the mind. For you, and this is a good decision IMO and would be what I would have picked, is to give the Mind a positive outlook. If you really wanted to, you could even make a poem about how lousy the mind is, and that would work if you carefully constructed your lines. I say, keep the first two lines at least, that is a good part of the poem:

My version (may or may not be better...I'm just seeing what's on my tired but restless mind at the moment)

The mind is a vortex,
of crystal cortex,
it sucks you in,
it spits you back out,
and where you entered, you never left

The mind is a labyrinth,
full of twisting thoughts,
shifting dreams,
myriad visions,
and lengthy incisions

The mind is an ocean,
deep and full of passion,
always in motion

The mind is quicksand,
easy to step into,
hard to step out,

The mind is a helpful tool,
it categorizes the world,
and makes it easier to rule.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
It's 11 at night here, still got about 10 more hours to stay up. Ya'll sharing poems or is Rinpun just showing off? :p

As for writing, I DREAD writing. Only thing that I like is sitting here all day and figuring out these codes. That, and chatting with other fellow nerds like yourselves.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Lol, he finally admits he's as big a nerd as the rest of us!

Yeah, this stuff is hugely fun (especially when ya finally get it! :p) but writing seems more fun...Although, essentially, it could be the same thing, all depends on the type of map you make. Even in New Age of Warcraft, I start to create a bit of storyline in it! :p The "Avatar" items all have history of a world unlike Warcraft, so you know I'm getting it from somewhere else...However, I doubt most people will be paying more attention to that horde of Undead Mummies over there, then the text of an item...Not sure why though! :p

M

Marksman

Mmhmmm id say most of you need a hobby, least some of you seem to be writers (right up rinpuns alley) I have considered writing novels and such, but i can never seem to get started, and after a while even my best ideas just seem silly. Anyway, btw Alexander i understand you are not fighting, but its just that the other forum got so full of random comments about whos a nerd, whos got a hot girlfriend etc. , and the title was Creating a Region lol.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Yeah well :p To put it simply: S*** happens!

You're right about one thing, though: getting started SUCKS! I'm actually REWRITTING the damn Corruption book, because it started out SO bad...Though, it's got a really good beginning now...

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
(Well in that case, Marksman, I'm one step ahead of you for writing :))

I suppose it does. I haven't written a novel yet for fear of that happening :D:D:D

So far I've written small 30-page (8000 words or someat) plots. Most of them could use entirely new redrawing, mainly because the dialogue is suckier than suck. Then again, I did write THOSE two years ago *sigh*.

The most recent one worked pretty well in my opinion, but I ended it too quickly. If I ever feel like polishing it up, I'll release it here for your enjoyment. Most of my writings are more experimentation with various ideas, and therefore stink. I release such once halfway done, and then I'm reluctant to submit it anywhere but as a display of my knowledge of English :)

I've found my most successful (ones that have a plot that doesn't shatter as fast as others) are ones that I create the plot as I go along, starting with only a small basis, like a little world, with characters in need of a personality adjustment, and then I just go at it.

That poem I rewrote last night was just my rendition of SF's. It was not an attempt to show off, conan :D Then again, you constantly tease me of being a braggart, so I really don't have the need to "defend myself" :)

Yea, getting started is the annoying part. My most recent works are better written with sudden beginnings or starting rather abruptly with whatever idea you have at the moment and then thread in a beginning eventually. It's funny, as I've grown these two years, I feel I write much better dialog and description to a certain extent, but my BEGINNINGS have begun to stunk, where they used to be graphic and enticing, at least to the few who have read it.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Hmm, it seems like everytime I write something, I have to go back to fix the beginning...Kind of like I don't know how it starts until I know how it ends...Working backward, you could call it! :p But hey, my way might not work for you, but that's alright...S'what makes the world fun, right?

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Perhaps we need to go down to Starbucks, grab a cup of coffee, then talk about our books?

Later, we can go to Bath & Body Works and talk about the different candles and lotions they have?

After that, we can run over and get a maassage and talk about our jewelry?

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Hmm, it seems like everytime I write something, I have to go back to fix the beginning...Kind of like I don't know how it starts until I know how it ends...Working backward, you could call it! :p But hey, my way might not work for you, but that's alright...S'what makes the world fun, right?

Well I suggest you make it easier. Have NO beginning. That's right, NONE. Then, once you've created the plot by creating your action, your romance, and your plot-info-giving scenes, wrap them together with some worthless scenes just for either humor or filler, add an ending and a beginning, and you have a story.

Currently the above is working for me on my newest story, which I may have to rewrite for another reason. The thought for my story, which dad suggested, is that I'd stick SAT words in the dialogue and in the description, so everyone ends up sounding somewhat like an English Professor. I mean, when was the last time a person has used "abhor" (means hate or loathe, for the slightly less literate) in his dialogue?

XXconanXXX said:
Perhaps we need to go down to Starbucks, grab a cup of coffee, then talk about our books?

Later, we can go to Bath & Body Works and talk about the different candles and lotions they have?

After that, we can run over and get a maassage and talk about our jewelry?

Oooh, I'd like that! *Caustic/Incisive/frank sarcasm* :D:D

Anyway, conan, though you despise writing, what have you written? I'm sure your teachers would be smart enough to have given you at least ONE writing assignment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.