The_Idea's Hero Defense

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
@Geoff.L: Why did you lose if it was too good? =)

Update! Did a lot on the heroes. Beta will feature 12 heroes. I am finishing the Fire Illusionist right now, what a masterpiece! Those abilities took me hours to trigger. Check my new avatar to see him (or just wait for the beta release :)).

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Edit:

Seems like mems had the wrong thread, he just deleted his post. It was about a TD HD AOS hybrid.

---------------

Well, I think:

1. Do something about your english! :)
2. That the map might be too complicated, and therefore less fun to play. AFAIK there have already been loads of hybrid maps, and most of them failed (people just stopped playing them). It an interesting idea, though.

I

Imports615

I just played it and it was pretty cool. I beat it with Gau de "Fire" Yue or whatever his name is on easy. His spells were pretty cool. I really liked Revenge of the Sun but it took forever to recharge. Sunrays was cool too and that recharged pretty quick. By the end my damage ended up being 482-504 +80. I could never beat the boss levels though. Overall its a good game and you could release it like that and it would pass as a complete game, nobody would guess it was an alpha version. The mini games were pretty cool too.

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I will release beta soon. The beta will be very close to the final version (in terms of features).

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
October First? Right on time...
Someone (Methis if your interested) hosted a beta on B-net, here goes

Probelms and Suggejstions and some Questions
- The doage master event only works half the time, the other half the guy sits there not casting.
- Tux can clone bosses? (Probelm? Mabey, but its odd)
- Firey Oil is lame and useless, meele hits air anyway, so ethier take it out, make it dropable, or leave it in as a noob-trap.
- Fire guy skin is good (and i recognise it from that other map (forgot name) Ra Sunchild i think.)
- You made turtle ulti. look less cool! :(.
- You took out Massacer right? When will that be fixed and rdy?
- The claw mages Map-Wide-Slow makes its raw data name (Custom_n016) display as a text message about 10 times whenever its cast.
- Tell people what stacks and doesn't (mabey?) the Orb and Horn dont stack i know that much.
- In Alphas when it came to Doage Master it said "Doage Master set to: Stampead". Where you planing on haveing blizzard infernal rain and such to?

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Well, I played with Methis till the 30th wave, we were right about to finish it, and then my comp crashed (how lame). There are indeed a lot of weird bugs, they are caused by the new heroes (especially the Fire Illusionist) and by my sleepiness :p. Will try to have a fixed version within an hour.

Comments:

-Yes, when I played it it didn't work twice, it's weird. He has some sort of order conflict. I'm trying to fix it.
-Ok then, will take it out or let him only summon a single boss.
-Just inserted a greater firey oil (which also has problems btw). The Firey Oil is not that useless, but it isn't of much use either. If I'd make it droppable, you could give it to ranged casters, but as it's now, it blocks a slot of your inv. I think I'll disable and maybe remove it.
-Thanks, I worked the most on that guy.
-Less cool in what way? Please tell me!
-Slaughter caused extreme lag, heroes dying without reason, items disappearing without reason, and much more. I will either rewrite it or forget about it. Don't expect it soon, though.
-A relic of my spell-debugging (pressing delete button :))
-Will put that on the list for Beta 2
-Ehm... No. That was another relic of my spell debugging. I will need to debug it again though, to see why that **** dude is not casting his spell.

UnknowVector

Reaction score
It used to be forked lighting now its a stright bar...

Mabey even have the finger of pain lightign effect bonucing between the wisps? That would look 1337.

EDIT: time to check how many attachments im useing..

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Forked lightning? Ehm... As far as I know, it still looks exactly the same. What did it look like at yours, like the picture attached? Please describe it. The change I made is simple: I used dummy units before, but now I only create the special effects. This saves a lot of cpu and memory load. If the units were cooler, I can easily restore it all, though.

Attachments

• DestroyPreview1.png
    DestroyPreview1.png
    370 KB · Views: 280

Sargon

Reaction score
Firey Oil is useful for the flying rounds because all the units spawn on top of each other, so it theoretically splashes to every single unit in the wave.

UnknowVector

Reaction score
Get turtle ultimate in the Alpha and Beta and watch the art closely.

In the Alphas the lighting goes out from the turtle and branchs, in betas it just goes stright out from the turtle.

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
@Sargon: I think he mainly means the fact that it can't be dropped.

@UnknowVector: Ehm...

1: I can't see a single difference between the two versions, except that the newer version lags less.
2: Lightning? What lightning? And what do you mean with "branchs"?

Sorry, I just can't understand what you mean. Maybe the difference is caused by the lag reducing. Units take more cpu time to create than special effects, so they will not all be created at the same moment, but very short after each other. That short time becomes visible at slower comps, giving it a sort of creation effect rather than just placing the line at once. I could fake that creation time using a periodic event, in such a way that every comp (slow and fast) will see it that way. However, this will make the spell cause lag even more than it did when I used dummy units.

Sargon

Reaction score
Every time I beat wave 10, my game crashes. I think it's the minigame. What minigame do you have set for after level 10?

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
You're right Sargon, it is mentioned as a known bug at the site. It is an endless loop caused by the trigger that chooses the event. I think I should bring you all a new version tomorrow, because this bug makes the map near unplayable. There are also some other bugs that have to be fixed, especially the dodgemaster event.

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Update: Beta 2 is there!

New feature: A rematch system, so you can play again after winning/losing without having to reload the map!

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Update, Beta 4 is here!

Features: Dodgemaster finally seems to work! Thanks to Blizzard's built-in Sleep Forever AI script.

S

skinny77

Very good game, man! I'm 15 too, yet I can't make maps as good as that. How long did it take you?

I spotted a quite serious bug with Tux the Penguin.
When you try and buy Fiery Oil with him, you don't get the oil, but you do get about 7000gp instantly.

Great gam though. Brill

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Firey Oil bug is not only for Tux, but for every ranged hero.

I started working on this map somewhere in July. I just played some LOTR hero defense a few times that actually was a maul without towers, two hero taverns and three shops. It was VERY VERY unbalanced (the only hero that could complete the game was Legolas, who was a female archer :p) and it crashed every 15 minutes or so. But the gameplay itself was great fun, I mean, now it wasn't about keeping your hero alive, but blocking the monsters and killing them before they reached the end. I decided that I liked the map, but that it wasn't good enough, and that I'd make my own. I started off with a terrain (that wasn't fully symmetric! :D) and designed a paladin hero with a few spells, imported some models and effects, put some neutral hostile crabs in the right down corner of the map, and saved it... =) I still have that version. I just kept working until it was all playable and made it an alpha. I tested that alpha on battle.net. Ppl liked it a lot, but thought it was incomplete and suggested lots of things. From those things, I have been selecting some that sounded very good. In those times there were two great fans: First 13-Pimp_Daddy and somewhere around alpha 15 Realist-xuereb came in. 13-Pimp_Daddy stopped coming online on bnet around alpha 22, after inviting his clanmates for a few matches, and Realist-xuereb kept testing with me till the last beta. He also invited his friends after some time, which resulted in weird but very useful games. Then the beta's came. I tested a lot less frequently, and did more on the mapping. The rematch feature was added, two cool new heroes, and the balance was totally changed. Then, after 3 beta's (beta 1 - 4, but beta 3 has never been uploaded because it had some unacceptable bugs) I decided to do a bit of polishing, fix the last bugs and release 1.00. Just at that day (sunday 30 oct, not that long ago =) maps.worldofwar.net, my favourite mapping site, was down. I decided to upload it on the world editor tutorials maps page and host it a lot DL Only on bnet. That worked, several people started hosting it and pmed me with things like: "This is great fun!". Today some guy called *censored* downloaded it and just went totally crazy about it, passed it to his friends, hosted it time after time and told me all about how great the map was =). Tuesday maps.worldwar.net was up again. I submitted my map and waited for it to be approved. Then it started. Two people after each other voted 5, then I voted 5, too ;), it got some downloads, and it worked itself to the number one in the top 20 in a few hours. Then ppl started downloading it like crazy, I was like: WOAH! 80 downloads! *Refresh* AAAAARGH!!!! 85!. And it stayed that way, it's still on the number one now =). I think you will see my map more and more on bnet in the coming time. I think I should update it to version 1.01 soon, as people want more heroes and there are some serious bugs. But I had never expected this map to grow so rapidly. Thanks to all people who helped making this map what it is right now, and what it'll be!

Oh and btw, just so you know, I was 14 until the 20th of August. The key of mapping is not being good at it, but keeping it up. Getting good will happen automatically if you just keep it up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.