TheHelper.net Tutorial

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
152hwud.png
Introduction
This is a remake of Jindo's Forum Guide and is now a bit more relevant to the new themes and current forum politics. If you are new to the forums, reading this guide would be a great way to learn the mechanics of the forum.​

General Posting
When you first register here, you are most likely here to ask for some help. There are some tips to follow when you make a thread or post replies. Helpers try to help those who show some intelligence first.
  • Try to capitalize the first letter in a sentence, and only use one period, exclamation point, or question mark in a sentence.
  • Explain your problem very clearly.
  • Attach relevant files if necessary.
  • Do not act as if your map is the most important thing in the world, or ask for a quick reply.
Following these tips might not only increase the chances someone replies with help, but also make people like you!​

Reputation is like the money of The Helper. You can be awarded positive reputation for helping and/or anything else positive you do around the forums. On the other side of the same coin, you can be given negative reputation by people when you spam, act annoying, or other things such as that.

Awarding Reputation

One of the great things about Reputation is that it is not staff controlled. Anyone can give out reputation, and anyone can take it away. To modify someone's reputation, click the asterisk (*) at the bottom of one of their posts.

1ql6rr.png

It will open this small dialog and you can click I approve to give them reputation, or I disapprove to take away some reputation. There is also an optional form to give a comment the user can view from their Control Panel.

How much you add

How much rep you give and or takes is dependent on how much rep you have already accumulated. You earn a second bar at 100 Rep, a third bar at 200 rep, a fourth at 300 rep, and then you begin to accumulate one more for every 50 rep. The amount of rep you give is 1 rep for each green bar, with a maximum of 5 for users and 7 for staff members. The amount of rep you take is half the amount of bars you have, rounded up. Here are the first few combinations of rep bars and giving/taking.

reputation_pos.png
- Give 1 take 1

reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
- Give 2 take 1

reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
- Give 3 take 2

reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
- Give 4 take 2

reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
- Give 5 take 3

reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
- Give 5 take 3

Reputation Notes

When hovering your mouse over someone's rep bars, if you hold still it will display a tooltip with a small comment and a recent milestone they reached. This is a list of all these comments, as people ask about them pretty frequently.

User <--- BANNED (-1500)
User only God has spared you from being banned (-1000)
User is succumbing to the Dark Side of the Force (-500)
User is committing heinous sins (-250)
User is not very well liked (-100)
User is starting to get a very bad reputation (-75)
User is not getting along with others (-50)
User seriously needs to read the forum rules (-25)
User must have done something wrong (-10)
User needs to read the forum rules (-5)
User probably double posted (-2)
User has zero reputation
User has received a bit of reputation (+5)
User has received some positive rep (+10)
User seems to be trying to help (+25)
User has started helping a few people (+50)
User is starting to make their name known (+75)
User is starting to get some respect (+100)
User seems to have the helping tendency (+150)
User has really started to help (+200)
User is being taken more seriously (+250)
User is doing a good job (+300)
User is becoming more respected daily (+350)
User is becoming a force to be reckoned with (+400)
User is on their way up (+450)
User <--- Pretty Cool (+500)
User is climbing the respect ladder even higher (+600)
User is a sight to see (+700)
User has much to be proud of (+800)
User has a reputation beyond repute (+1000)
User has been here way too long (+2000)
User is catching up with AceHart
User has more rep than TH
User ownz you!
Tags
Basic Tags

There are many types of tags you can wrap around your text that give it a different look. These are very useful for putting emphasis on text, making something stick out, and presentation in a post. Here are some examples.

[noparse]This is bold[/noparse]
arrow_transparent.gif
This is bold
[noparse]This is italic[/noparse]
arrow_transparent.gif
This is italic
[noparse]This is underlined[/noparse]
arrow_transparent.gif
This is underlined
[noparse]This is a link: www.google.com[/noparse]
arrow_transparent.gif
This is a link: www.google.com
[noparse]This is a link[/noparse]
arrow_transparent.gif
This is a link.
[noparse]Big Text![/noparse]
arrow_transparent.gif
Big Text!
[noparse]
arrow_transparent.gif
[/noparse]
arrow_transparent.gif
arrow_transparent.gif

Lists

Lists are incredibly useful for stylizing chunks of data, make posts more readable, and are very easy to use.

[noparse]
  • One Item
  • Another Item
  • Something Else
[/noparse]

arrow_transparent.gif

• One Item
  • Another Item
  • Something Else

Master List

The master list of all tags and their syntax can be found here. This list is automatically updated, so it is a better place to look for new tags than here.​
Usergroups
Overview

There are many kinds of usergroups that make up The Helper. One group is the Moderators, who keep peace, the Administrators who are the high ranking forum overseers, two other usergroups not really confirmed, and custom usergroups.

Moderators

There are two main kinds of moderators. Section Moderators such as Whitesock who moderates the Graphic Help Zone Forum, and Super Moderators who moderate the entire forum and may 'specialize' in another forum where they more active. Unlike all sites on the internet, the moderators at The Helper are very fair. If you feel something is unfair and/or breaks a rule, report the post with the hazard sign at the bottom and type a small message.

Administrators

Just like the moderators, there are a few kinds of admins. Demi Admins (such as Daxtreme and Seth Cross) are higher ranking than mods and are considered admins, but are a bit lower on the totempole than the other admins, hence the demi- prefix. Community Administrators (Miz) are admins that deal with the community and presenting things to the users. Other Administrators don't have a title but are very technical, such as Ghan_04 and phyrex1an. They deal with the server, programming, scripting, and other tasks that are out of the hands of Moderators and other Admins. All Administrators are second in commands to The Helper, who has final say over everything.

Other Usergroups

There are three other kinds of "usergroups" worth noting. One of them is custom usergroups, which can be requested and created for a group of users, like Rep Addicts Anonymous, Sexy Members, or Programmers. The other "usergroup" is the 100+ Rep usergroup who are awarded the ability to change their titles.
Signatures: The last group is not really a group, but it is the users who have signatures but are still members. They have done a great deal of help for the forums and are very respected, so someone has awarded them with the ability to make a signature. It is extremely hard to get a signature and you should not expect it.​

(It may be missing some stuff, but I think it is good to get this out.)

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
> hence the demi- suffix.

Demi is actually a prefix here. :)

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
oh, don't worry about that, it's just a tooltip error.

Edit: fixed.

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
oh, don't worry about that, it's just a tooltip error.

Edit: fixed.

"Try to capitalize the first letter in a sentence, and only use one period, exclamation point, or question mark in a sentence."

You might want to add a link to the "View Forum Leaders" page.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
For your rep explanation, I think it might be simpler to go with..
"You start out giving 1 rep, and taking 1 rep. When you gain 100 rep you can now give 2, but only take one. In essence, take the first number in your rep amount XYZ and you'd be taking X, and add one to that. That's how much you can give. Divide that by two and round up to find how much you can take. A policy was enacted a while back that caps the amount of rep one can give and take away because there were members who were giving 20+ rep which is more then an Admin hands out. Admins and Demi Admins do +10/-10. Super Mods do +7/-5 max. Everyone else, including section-specific mods, do +5/-3 max."

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Na, I think kc used to give +18 at one point. Can't remember exactly.

Prometheus

Reaction score
I got to +21 before the new rep system limited everything. :(`

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So ... can I nominate this for a sticky or ask what else needs to be added?

Prometheus

Reaction score
Well, I think your rep section is wrong, as I stated above at +3 you give -2 since the system rounds up.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Skimmed through it, just found some things.
The amount of you give is 1 rep for each green bar,
The amount of rep you give is 1 rep for each green bar,

report the post with the hazard sign at the bottom and type a small message.
Add a picture of the hazard sign? You added one for the rep, might as well keep consistent :)

Again, I just skimmed so I might have missed more.
But overall nice, if people actually read stickies :rolleyes:

wilze

Reaction score
I can't seem to find out how to use spoilers, they're not on the master list either. Would be grateful if someone could tell me how to make those.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
[noparse]
poop
[/noparse]
poop

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I think this is going to create more rep addicts then anything else.. I would mention that people get rep from contests/tournaments/etc. as well

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.