TheHelper Site History - 1st Official Blizzard Battle.net Forums MVP Story

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
TheHelper Site History and the Official Blizzard Battle.net Forums 1st MVP Story

All the links on the Index should work. If you find any broken links, please post about it in this thread. I have tried to keep the entries in chronological order as best as I can. Ones that do not apply chronologically are at the end.

If you want to post about the Index itself, be sure to post in this thread. But if you have a comment about a particular section, please respond to that section's thread instead.

Prologue

The Blizzard Battle.net Forums MVP History Path Only
- to read just the MVP stuff.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TheHelper Site History and 1st Battle.net Forums MVP
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Earliest Archive.org Entry for the Site (May 8, 1999)

The Beginning

PatN

The Open Tech Support Channel on Battle.net Chat

Identity Theft

Different Logos, Banners, and looks throughout the years. Lots of information especially about early days 1998+

Wargasm!

Chile!

Rapmaster!

Logical_1

Dtere

The Usual Suspects -
Battle.net Open Tech Support Guild

Site Power Up - The very first forums and everything lost

thehelper - First Official Blizzard Battle.net Forums MVP

t'kron (The 2nd Blizzard MVP)

Dinobot/Negafox MVP!

The First MVPs -
thehelper, tkron and Dinobot aka Negafox

Tender Fury

The Open Tech Support Split

scmaker (Acehart ver 1.0) - the StarEdit Story

The Helping Edge Strategy Forum - Edgemaster and the Warcraft 2 BNE Tournaments

Vbulletin

Nuon-Dome

Ilendil - the final Staredit Help Forum mod and one of the first mods of the World Editor Help Forum

Darg - the founder of the World Editor Help Forums

Dmoz.org -
Volunteer Editor thehelper Editall/CatMV in the Open Directory Project - Top Level Games Editor

SDRyoko! - The Creator of the World Editor Tutorials

Acehart - Ver 2.0 - The World Editor Version!

SFilip

Vexorian

World Editor Tutorials

Special Membership

WC3 Hosted Mappers

The Great Crash

phyrex1an

Seth

Small Business Helper

TheHelper.net Map

The Helper Chat

The DOTA Template

Blizzard Spotlight Maps

Silkroad Forums - aka goodbye Ryoko and 56K

WoW - Life Sucking Demon

Ghan!

The Hive

TheHelper City - the MyMiniCity days...

Acehart (WE Version 2.0) has left the Building

Starcraft 2

Siretu - The Starcraft 2 Editor Forum Mod

The Current MVP Program

Sixen

Acehart - 4 Years Gone

kc102 aka Prometheus

RPDom - Another Site Split

XenForo

Tom Mai

FireCat - Origin - To Be Continued.

Other Stuff

The Helpers Stories - this site would be nothing without the forum members that volunteer for free to help here - the Helpers - these are their stories...

Notpron Walkthru - by far - the Most Viewed Thread in the Forums - over a million views as of 9/8/13

TheHelper.net Official Taco Day - August 8th

TheHelper.net Official Member Awards

Attachments

• Xmas_Banner.gif
    Xmas_Banner.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,042
  • BannerForum3.jpg
    BannerForum3.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 863
  • helperhands1.jpg
    helperhands1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,134
  • samplelayout1.jpg
    samplelayout1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 1,063
  • teh.net.PNG
    teh.net.PNG
    1.2 KB · Views: 1,118
  • nuondome.jpg
    nuondome.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 1,134
  • myminicitythehelper.jpg
    myminicitythehelper.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 868
Last edited by a moderator:

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
> I am still not use to the VB4 Interface and accidently deleted the original post of this.

Rofl. Hope this one doesn't meet The Reaper(tm) too.

-----

So when approximately do you plan to write that?

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
I'm Just curious to see how the story continues? :p

Well, will there be Moar?

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
i remember when i visited thehelper and posted as MVP on the blizzard boards... Some peeps at Blizzard got a heart attack that day.
Years later i met Bill Roper (who was then still with Blizzard) told me that they thought i hacked their system.

And actually Helper.. maybe you should throw in that story about that posting bot some russians made and got lose on the blizzard forums. that was some advanced AI back then ..

FireCat

Reaction score
Some peeps at Blizzard got a heart attack that day.
Years later i met Bill Roper (who was then still with Blizzard) told me that they thought i hacked their system.
O shit, What specifically did you do? When you scared the crap out of them.
hmm lol

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not a good enough writer to tell these stories and give them justice. They are good though. Wargasm was in Holland as far as Blizzard knew then showed up posting with a MVP by his name from my house. I let him on my account and the only people that noticed were people watching that forum, the Blizzard people. He was actually at my house though visiting from Holland we hacked them the only way we could from the source they allowed. It was good stuff. Everyone was learning back then and Blizzard was really safe because they knew more, but when Wargy came in it looked like we knew something otherwise, something more and we were the Good Guys, and they wanted to know....

The whole thing really worked out well. It showed we were responsible with the MVP power and were just geeks like them messing with them. Good Stuff!

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Many of these stories I have not heard myself. It would be great to hear a full site history. :) I've been around for more than 4 years now but it does not feel like much....

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, TH you might not be a good writer but nobody seems to care. :D

Just write!

FireCat

Reaction score
Love is stronger than death even though it can't stop death from happening, but no matter how hard death tries it can't separate people from love.
It can't take away our memories either. In the end, life is stronger than death.

Anyway

Yeah, TH you might not be a good writer but nobody seems to care. :D

Just write!
Yeah! QFT

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
What was your name on the blizzard forums thehelper?

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
You may also want to check this out, that was left out of the first post.

Negafox aka Dinobot resigns Blizzard MVP

And here's Negafox's (Dinobot's) blog.

Unfortunately, Blizzard had erased the old archived forums, so it's hard to find out by ourselves. However, proof in the blog tells us that "The Helper" is his account name at the time.

I had the hardest time keeping my mouth shut at that time. Dinobot was hired at Blizzard and he had to resign. He had a double life. I should have taken the job they offered me, that was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. I was married though with kids and the job was entry level in Cali - when I had mid level in H-Town. I should have went into the Gaming Tech Support in Cali since I ended up getting divorced anyway :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    And our actual cooks aren't really trained for that. Our line lead will be fine but our tournant is still kind of struggling with some things and he takes mistakes way too hard. I got onto him about scorching pans when making cream sauces and he started fucking everything else up, like dude it's fine just turn your heat down a bit. And then he burned like three batches of couscous in a row and it's like man
  • Varine Varine:
    He walked away from the first batch, learned nothing and walked away from the second batch, and then tried to toast it in a saute pan made out of aluminum so it scorched immediately and then I took away and he was sad all day
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    I know our range sucks but it's still a fucking fire down there, I've never measured it but I'm sure it's like a couple thousand degrees.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I wish I had a flat top grill in my kitchen!
  • jonas jonas:
    I wish I could cook asian dishes :D
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You just need a pressure cooker like an instapot for the asian dishes
  • The Helper The Helper:
    they make that stuff easy
  • The Helper The Helper:
    and there is a flat top grill I can buy that will work on my stovetop but it is pricey
  • The Helper The Helper:
    and I have no room for that anyway
  • Varine Varine:
    I have a thing that goes over two burners for my house, but it doesn't work great. I think they make ones that plug in where the coils go but it's not cheap.
  • Varine Varine:
    And yeah if you have a pressure cooker you can do lots of stuff really fast. Depending on what you're trying to do it ranges from really easy to really hard
  • Varine Varine:
    If you want to make tonkotsu broth, you're gonna have a rough time, but if you want to do like stir fries or something that tends to be pretty easy
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Ingredients are sometimes hard to find though, which is why we're doing 'fusion'. We don't have wok burners either, so it'll be kind of a weird transition
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Added another slow cooker recipe - this time a dessert - Slow Cooker Fried Apples https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-slow-cooker-cracker-barrel-fried-apples.192860/
  • Varine Varine:
    I have three teenagers apply for college that all asked for letters of recommendation with like two days notice lol. Like I get it guys, and I'm happy to help, but maybe tell me you need it before you need to turn these applications in?
  • Varine Varine:
    I guess they are literal children, so not exactly the best at thinking ahead. Fucking kids
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Yeah they are just inexperienced and young
  • jonas jonas:
    I'm still horrible at that :eek: often forget things or do things on the last minute
  • The Helper The Helper:
    My daughter is same way
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Saturday people!!!
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am sure nobody cares but I am seriously considering taking the Gaming News forum and just changing it to General Gaming Discussion since I post so much about gaming in the General Discussion Forum
  • The Helper The Helper:
    guests online 487 at 12:30 and none of them show up on the stats - all bots man
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Latest recipe is a great one - I love Philly Cheese and this is Philly Cheese Meatloaf https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-philly-cheese-meatloaf.192935/
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Beep boop
    +2

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.