Sci/Tech There is a lizard sex satellite floating in space and Russia no longer has it under control

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
At this very moment, a Russian satellite full of geckos -- (possibly) having sex -- is floating around in space -- and mission control has lost the ability to control it.

The Foton-M4 research satellite launched on July 19 with five geckos on board. The plan: To observe their mating activities in the zero-gravity conditions of Earth orbit. Several other earthly creatures, including plants and insects, were also placed on board for experiments.

But shortly after the satellite made its first few orbits, it stopped responding to commands from mission control. The equipment on board, however, is still sending scientific data back to earth, a spokesman for Russia's Institute of Biomedical Problems said.

"The biological experiments started as soon as the satellite was launched," Institute press secretary Oleg Voloshin told RIA Novosti on Thursday. "The scientific equipment used for the experiments operates properly. We receive the telemetry data from the spacecraft and analyze it. … The current tasks have so far been fulfilled."

Teams of experts are working to reestablish a connection to the satellite, according to the company that built Foton-M.

Last edited by a moderator:

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Staff member
I was just about to post this, lol.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
they could at least broadcast some juicy lizard pron from that satelite. I mean, now that its already up there, you know...

tom_mai78101

Staff member
I said broadcasting tom. Theres a HUGE difference.
Oh... You can't do that. The signal needs to be encrypted, otherwise those satellites will be compromised. So, even if you are broadcasting the signals, NASA will not allow you to retrieve the signal without their decryption methods.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Bullshit. You can sent out a signal without encryption as long as the communication from base is encrypted.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
How what? How to broadcast? I would guess the same fucking way that all the other tv satelites do it...

tom_mai78101

Staff member
I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not going through so many loopholes and another Comcast/Verizon connection frenzy.

And I don't have the expertise to understand how broadcasting TV signals out into space works, let alone know NASA-specific data.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Make sure you keep checking out my news..
    +2
  • Jesus4Lyf Jesus4Lyf:
    Man, I made this account 15 years ago? Wild. :)
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Seeing J4L is definitely a blast from the past.
  • Jesus4Lyf Jesus4Lyf:
    Oh hey Ghan! Long time. :)
    +1
  • jonas jonas:
    J4L! What has happened in your life
  • Jesus4Lyf Jesus4Lyf:
    Hmm, how to summarize... Moved to the USA and got married. Became a professional software engineer and solution lead. Learning Godot for game dev. :)
  • jonas jonas:
    So you are pursuing game dev as a hobby? What industry is your dayjob in?
  • jonas jonas:
    FAANG?
  • Jesus4Lyf Jesus4Lyf:
    Not quite FAANG, less pay for a less hours/stress. Yeah, game dev as a hobby.
  • jonas jonas:
    makes sense. Do we have a hobby game dev subforum to showcase some work?
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    Happy Thursday
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
  • The Helper The Helper:
    TGIF!
  • The Helper The Helper:
    hey tom_mai please do not archive anymore news
  • Ghan Ghan:
    AMD Ryzen 7000 next week :D
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    noice!
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    "hey tom_mai please do not archive anymore news" ----> Got it. What should we do with the "News Archive" subforum?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think leave it for real old news that cannot be sorted the reason we had it in the first place was a server issue that we do not have anymore. I don't want to get rid of the archive just not put anything in it for now until we figure it out more
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The side chat has nothing on the discord. it is not possible but the biggest thing on my wish list right now is a sidechat channel on the disord that hooks up to this...
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I've been selected for the Diablo IV beta.
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Woo!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    that is so cool
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Eh just noticed the new discord section on the side. Looks great!
    +1
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    :( feels bad I can't ever get selected for any beta I sign up for. It's annoying as heck.
    +1

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.