Sci/Tech There is a lizard sex satellite floating in space and Russia no longer has it under control

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
At this very moment, a Russian satellite full of geckos -- (possibly) having sex -- is floating around in space -- and mission control has lost the ability to control it.

The Foton-M4 research satellite launched on July 19 with five geckos on board. The plan: To observe their mating activities in the zero-gravity conditions of Earth orbit. Several other earthly creatures, including plants and insects, were also placed on board for experiments.

But shortly after the satellite made its first few orbits, it stopped responding to commands from mission control. The equipment on board, however, is still sending scientific data back to earth, a spokesman for Russia's Institute of Biomedical Problems said.

"The biological experiments started as soon as the satellite was launched," Institute press secretary Oleg Voloshin told RIA Novosti on Thursday. "The scientific equipment used for the experiments operates properly. We receive the telemetry data from the spacecraft and analyze it. … The current tasks have so far been fulfilled."

Teams of experts are working to reestablish a connection to the satellite, according to the company that built Foton-M.

Last edited by a moderator:

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
If the satellite is turned off, there's no way to turn it back on.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
What stupid scientist would not add an "ON" button on his gadget?

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Such an exciting experiment... and they've lost control ?

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I was just about to post this, lol.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
they could at least broadcast some juicy lizard pron from that satelite. I mean, now that its already up there, you know...

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I said broadcasting tom. Theres a HUGE difference.
Oh... You can't do that. The signal needs to be encrypted, otherwise those satellites will be compromised. So, even if you are broadcasting the signals, NASA will not allow you to retrieve the signal without their decryption methods.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Bullshit. You can sent out a signal without encryption as long as the communication from base is encrypted.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
How what? How to broadcast? I would guess the same fucking way that all the other tv satelites do it...

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not going through so many loopholes and another Comcast/Verizon connection frenzy.

And I don't have the expertise to understand how broadcasting TV signals out into space works, let alone know NASA-specific data.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
When they return... they will not be the same...

INVASION OF THE LIZARDS FROM SPACE! IN 3-D!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.