There seem to be quite a lot of AOS games, hm?

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
HoN,LoL,Dota,Dota2,Blizzard Dota, rise of the immortals, realm of the titans, legendary champions, avalon heroes.

And those are just to begin with.

Which ones have you played ? Which ones have you heard of ?

Personally, I think that blizzard are the one with the winning hand. With soo many games the AOS community will be torn apart. The casual, play-for-fun approach of heroes of newerth and (from what has been released of information) Blizzard Dota is the winning combination I think.

I think that DOTA 2 will scale as an E-sport, with less people than DOTA1 though(mainly because LOL and HON took a good ammount of them) Time will tell, but this is really interesting to observe.

Tom_Kazansky

--- wraith it ! ---
Reaction score
I played DotA, HoN

heard of LoL, DotA2, Blizzard DotA
---
I think I will play Blizzard DotA

I'm kinda disappointed in DotA2's art (from some pics I have seen)

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Dota is still not it's own game, not meaning to sound like a troll here but if you mention maps as well perhaps you should mention AoS as well. It is after all the map where the concept originated from.
I have played AoS, Dota and HoN.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
The MOBA-genre is fairly new, and its definitely a PC-gamer exclusive, and that is one thing that I love about this genre. No other console can conquer our unique gem, but DotA 2 needs to really capture something that HoN and LoL both do not have, its been almost 2 years since LoL came out, and they did a smart move, they made the game free for a genre that is mostly unknown, this has expanded their player base much more and must faster than HoN has and now HoN is playing catch-up. Whatever DotA 2 brings to the board I hope its something good. LoL has also taken to e-sports pretty well, having been accepted into the ESL, MLG, and WCG. Hopefully DotA 2 comes with buyable respectable community ^_^.

DotA will come out on steam right? Thats like major publicity right there, its millions of players on a really good platform (imo).

And from what it looks like, LoL beats out the other games just on pure player base, its not a good player base, but its a big one.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
I am disappointed in DOTA 2. I saw a couple of matches... what you get is just an HD version of the original map... hell, HON brings you that + some unique heroes and items FOR FREE.

I do wonder, what do valve expect to market it as, maybe an HD texture pack ?

The game is not out yet, but from what I have seen, the best thing about the game is it's name.

I like LoL, it is the only game of the genre that actually brings something worth bringing.

>Dota is still not it's own game, not meaning to sound like a troll here but if you mention maps as well perhaps you should mention AoS as well.

That is true, however bringing out the Original AoS name would give depth to the thread which I do not want. I want to focus on the future of this genre, not on it's roots.(maybe another time)

So, to cut a long story short, for me this genre is pretty unique and cool. The fact that it is pvp exclusive gives it more points in my book. I do fear though that as every great thing a lot of clones will come out to the point where you dont know what to play. Time will wash out and leave only the good games, perhaps not. I hope this grows to be a really well known and respected genre, along side FPS and RTS in the competitive gaming. So far I do think that LoL is the best game of this genre (Even thogh it is one of the least played ones for me)

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
But its called DotA 2 for a reason, they are making it an exact copy of DotA but on a different engine arnt they? we just have to expect some major updates to come up that will make it able to surpass the other ones, but thats not a good way to start off a game.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I liked TGS and enmity campaign from wc3 as well (although TGS had some balance issues in a lot of versions, it was still fun)

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Thats only like 7 games and most of them are pretty cool. Check out how many shooters there are,now thats a lot of games for one genre.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Yes but this is a genre formed out of a mod for a rts map, made by a player of the game ^_^ It is pretty epic imo.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
That is true, however bringing out the Original AoS name would give depth to the thread which I do not want. I want to focus on the future of this genre, not on it's roots.(maybe another time)

Sorry bloodcount but with all due respect I must say that you are being a bit of a dick here, Aeon of Strife was the original map, the entire genre is named after that map, not mentioning it here is a little like not mentioning the inventor of the wheel when talking about the inventor of the car.

@D.V.D: If you count all the maps for warcraft and starcraft there are a lot of them, I'm just saying^^

Yes but this is a genre formed out of a mod for a rts map, made by a player of the game ^_^ It is pretty epic imo.
I would not be surprised to see this happen to more genres. The ability to make a prototype of a game in another game without the effort of having to write a whole engine is nothing short of epic and brings on a lot of opportunities.

The only thing I can say about these games are that HoN used to be playable on my computer during the beta but then there was one update, I can't remember which one, that made it lag like hell no matter what I set the options to, it kind of sucks since I bought the damn thing^^ But it is a pretty fun game to play with your friends.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
>Sorry bloodcount but with all due respect I must say that you are being a bit of a dick here, Aeon of Strife was the original map, the entire genre is named after that map, not mentioning it here is a little like not mentioning the inventor of the wheel when talking about the inventor of the car.

That is true, I agree that I am a dick about this. ^_^

>I would not be surprised to see this happen to more genres. The ability to make a prototype of a game in another game without the effort of having to write a whole engine is nothing short of epic and brings on a lot of opportunities.

The only thing I can say about these games are that HoN used to be playable on my computer during the beta but then there was one update, I can't remember which one, that made it lag like hell no matter what I set the options to, it kind of sucks since I bought the damn thing^^ But it is a pretty fun game to play with your friends.

I like HoN, I bought it too, now it is free xDD

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.