thinking of buying a External hardive

CaptDeath

Reaction score
hello i wanted TH users opinion on

• [*]is it worth it?
    [*]will it work with Vista? and a XP comp?(not at the same time)
    [*]Will it work with games as well as my Flash Drive?

is it worth it?
Is it even a smart Idea to get one?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?cid=&cp=&productId=3024959&tab=summary
in particular

will it work with Vista? and a XP comp?(not at the same time)
I'm asking cause if i have to use it on my other comp that's a XP I'm wondering if it will work with that as well. And with my Main Comp the Vista.

Will it work with games as well as my Flash Drive?
I want to store and play games off of it like i do with my flash drive and asking will it be some as though it were a regular drive?\as long with soft such as TC UP fire Fox N++ and so on.

Lastly Thank you in advanced for your opinion

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
If you want one it's fine. I don't know why an external hard drive would need to work with a flash drive, and yes it will work on Vista and XP (those are just operating systems, as long as the drive is formatted it will be fine). It's basically just a huge flash drive.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
It will work with both computers, and it's only worth it if you need it. As for running games and programs off of it, that would be a per-game/program basis.

Some games require that the registry keys be there, some do not ( Like WC3 doesn't require them). If they require the registry keys and you put that game on the drive, it won't work on the computer that you didn't install it to the drive from.

CaptDeath

Reaction score
even if i install straight on there?
A .reg would fix that right?
what about if i used a virtual machine?

@offtopic
W00t 2000 post

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Yeah, the hard drive doesn't have it's own registry storage, it goes to the Windows one no matter what you install it on. You could fix it with a registry file, yes. However, you would have to edit certain things to make it work for the other computer, like it if has an "Install Path" key, that kind of thing. No idea about a virtual machine, haven't really messed with them.

CaptDeath

Reaction score
would the install path be the same besides the only modding i would need to do is the drive letter.

A virtual machine can be sumed up into its a Comp within a file.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.