Third Person Camera Triggers

WildTurkey

Previously known as giv_me_rep
Reaction score
Perhaps i have dived too deep too far, but this is how i learn :p I spent all last night experimenting with different hero settings trying to get my head around the data fields etc. Anyhow, today i am trying to get my head around camera angles. I want to design a camera that follows a premade SCV from behind. Any easier way to do this than what was done with WE? Third person camera lock feature perhaps?

Also, check this Map if you have time and let me know why the In-game camera fucks up so badly when testing the game.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B4UG2OLF
Also, how to make a veterancy unit (not hero but has levels) gain damage or HP with each level gain? And how to create an instant cast ability with no effect useable by this unit.

ALSO: Want to use condition: (Owner of (Killing unit)) != 15
this would not work would it? I want it to be player number 15 (neutral hostile) but cant seem to find it :)

As always +rep to all whom help.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
Perhaps i have dived too deep too far, but this is how i learn :p I spent all last night experimenting with different hero settings trying to get my head around the data fields etc. Anyhow, today i am trying to get my head around camera angles. I want to design a camera that follows a premade SCV from behind. Any easier way to do this than what was done with WE? Third person camera lock feature perhaps?

Also, check this Map if you have time and let me know why the In-game camera fucks up so badly when testing the game.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B4UG2OLF
I am unable to check this right now.

Also, how to make a veterancy unit (not hero but has levels) gain damage or HP with each level gain?
In SC2, a hero is just a unit property and has no major impact on the unit itself. The veterancy behaviour is what gives a unit the ability to level up (regardless of whether the unit is a hero). In the Behaviour: Veterancy Levels + property, you can modify the unit for each level of the ability and grant bonus hp or damage among many other things.

And how to create an instant cast ability with no effect useable by this unit
I assume you are trying to create a dummy instant cast ability that does nothing? There are a few ways of doing this, but I generally just create an ability of the type Effect - Instant and create a new effect of the type Apply Behaviour but leave the behaviour property empty (so it doesn't apply a behaviour).

ALSO: Want to use condition: (Owner of (Killing unit)) != 15
this would not work would it? I want it to be player number 15 (neutral hostile) but cant seem to find it :)
This will work fine. Players are integers.

WildTurkey

Previously known as giv_me_rep
Reaction score
dave, i +rep you whenever i can next :) You are really helpful and i am really thankful for your answers.

Another question; i think i read that you can password lock your map without use of a third party program, is this a correct memory? If so how? haha, thanks.

And

What condition is to check if triggering unit is from classification 'protoss'? cant find.

thanks

Dave312

Reaction score
I am unable to check this right now.
The problem you were having is that because the starting camera location is in the bottom right-hand corner, when it was trying to rotate and look at the unit, the camera kept trying to exceed the camera bounds. To solve that, you need to first pan the camera across to your unit.

Another question; i think i read that you can password lock your map without use of a third party program, is this a correct memory? If so how? haha, thanks.
When you publish your map, there is an option to set it as locked or unlocked which determines whether others are allowed to edit it.

What condition is to check if triggering unit is from classification 'protoss'? cant find.
You have to use the catalog function to return the race of a unit. Use the action Catalog Field Entry Get and set the Catalog to Unit, Entry to the string name of the unit (convert unit name to string) and Field to Race. It will return "Prot" for protoss units.

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
When you publish your map, there is an option to set it as locked or unlocked which determines whether others are allowed to edit it.

BE VERY CAREFULL

if you lock your map when you upload it and dont have a copy for yourself you cant edit it either anymore

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
BE VERY CAREFULL

if you lock your map when you upload it and dont have a copy for yourself you cant edit it either anymore

I actually think that's wrong. I am quite sure I've locked a map while publishing while still being able to edit it. I think it means that the copy that you download from battle.net to play it is locked but that the one that is currently open in your editor when you're publishing wont get locked.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

GFreak45

Reaction score
sorry siretu but ur wrong, when u publish it it warns you about this, that no1 can edit it once it has been locked

no1 can be right every time :p

celerisk

When Zerg floweth, life is good
Reaction score
> it warns you about this, that no one can edit it once it has been locked

Sounds about normal as that's the point :p

Slightly less normal though is this one:
Blizzard said:
NOTE: Once published, a Locked map cannot be opened in the editor by anyone, including yourself. Choose this option if you want to prevent others from viewing or copying your map using the editor. However, make sure to retain a local copy of your map for future modification in the editor.

Taken from here.

GFreak45

Reaction score
I hate to say I told u so but... oh wait no I don't I love it
Lol jk jk

Siretu

Reaction score
sorry siretu but ur wrong, when u publish it it warns you about this, that no1 can edit it once it has been locked

no1 can be right every time :p

> it warns you about this, that no one can edit it once it has been locked

Sounds about normal as that's the point :p

Slightly less normal though is this one:

Taken from here.

I hate to say I told u so but... oh wait no I don't I love it
Lol jk jk

I am currently at school so I can't prove it, but after doing some research, it seems like I'm right. I'll post more details when I get home.

You're currently only basing the statement that I'm wrong on quotes from blizzard that does not disprove my theory.

My theory is that when you pick the locked option when you publish your map, you will publish a LOCKED map to battle.net. If you download it from battle.net, you wont be able to edit it. That is why you have to keep a LOCAL copy of the map. The map you had opened when you published is your local copy that wont be locked.

Dave312

Reaction score
My theory is that when you pick the locked option when you publish your map, you will publish a LOCKED map to battle.net. If you download it from battle.net, you wont be able to edit it. That is why you have to keep a LOCAL copy of the map. The map you had opened when you published is your local copy that wont be locked.

I agree with this. Locking the map means no one can download it off battle.net and edit it, but you will still have the original file saved on your computer which anyone can edit.

Siretu

Reaction score
Yes, I just got home and tested this. It works like I said. Locking your map while publishing wont affect the map you're currently editing. As long as you don't remove the map from your computer, you will be fine.

@GFreak45: Told you so ;)

GFreak45

Reaction score
omg lol... i didnt mean to start such a strife lol... i guess i assume that blizzard is usually right which is usually wrong :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.