Those 50 Practice Sessions in Multiplayer...and their purposes...

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
1. If I play one practice session, they count as 1, regardless of you winning or losing?

2. After you finish playing all 50 practice sessions, what should you do in order to fill it back up?

I'm currently in the middle of building my own computer, and I did use my laptop to see what's inside on Battle.net. I have not used up any 50 practice sessions there, due to obvious system requirement reasons (can't move my SCV, drones, or probes after starting the game; too slow). Nor have I started playing it, so I'm curious.

Thanks in advance.

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Yes it counts as 1, after you finish your 50 games, you play your 5 placement games to determine your league and then you do your games in yourleague.

Vellu

Real eyes realize real lies.
Reaction score
Practice missions didn't help me at all. Actually I think they're not any good. There's always a chance that you encounter an old SCI veteran who beats the creep out of you (practice sessions don't have placement)!

Also, if you play enough of the practice matches and then go to league matches, you don't have those rock formations blocking the path in and out of your base, so it would be quite confusing. I skipped the practice matches and went straight to placement matches, and I do not regret it.
But hey - it's your choice and mine semi-long post for a question. :p

Oninuva

Reaction score
Play against computer first :) If you can beat insane 1v1 then you will be ready for some human match

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
insane 1v1 cheats :p
If you can beat Hard, your set for placements. If you can beat Very Hard, your definitely set for placements.
If you can beat insane, why havent you done your placements yet.

Vellu

Real eyes realize real lies.
Reaction score
insane 1v1 cheats :p
If you can beat Hard, your set for placements. If you can beat Very Hard, your definitely set for placements.
If you can beat insane, why havent you done your placements yet.

I've never won a hard AI, but I can still manage in my Bronze league! Feeling pro! :D

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
I've never won a hard AI, but I can still manage in my Bronze league! Feeling pro! :D

ive never beat hard ai eaither, lost some to medium too, and im faring quite well in silver. i think the computer cheats, because they always seem to out resource me, even when i put more workers on the mine and expand earlier...

i never even knew there were practise matches. i went right for placement and i think i wuld have rather kept it that way. then again i had some rts practise from wc3 so...

celerisk

When Zerg floweth, life is good
Reaction score
" I think the computer cheats "

"Insane" does for sure. They start with extra resources :p

" because they always seem to out-resource me "

Could be normal. In the sense that you're simply slower in getting stuff up and running.

" I went right for placement "

Clearly the better choice.

Those extra rocks are just... how to put this... stupid? bad? crap?
I played those in the beta, once, and the games were somewhat... well, it just doesn't compare.
Most games were simply "build up the ultimate doom army that can't fail", attack once, and then you win because you saw that doom army coming hours ago.

Alternatively, you destroyed the rocks.
Some actually quit when I showed up in their base ("damn cheater", "hacker", ... and some other less nice comments :p)

It also doesn't prepare you for actual games on real maps without those rocks.

You're better off beating up some comps and getting some basic base management skills from the campaign.
Once you consistently beat an Insane AI, you're ready for Gold and up (just guessing... what "AI level" does one have in Gold?)

Oninuva

Reaction score
I would say, AI level in gold is around Hard / Very Hard. Insane is around Platinum, and Diamond is non-AI. :)

Galdiuz

Creator of Photon Command
Reaction score
I gotta say that the AI isn't very good. Once you learn how the AI thinks, it's easy to create a anti-AI strategy which works against any AI opponent(s). I mean really, I won both 1v2 insane, 1v4 very hard, and FFA /w 7 Insane, and that wasn't really hard.
You can try it out if you want, just do a normal cannon rush/proxy gateway zealot rush vs an Insane AI and you'll have them surrender in less than 5 minutes.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, I think I get most of the points here. Thank you all.

Oninuva

Reaction score
I gotta say that the AI isn't very good. Once you learn how the AI thinks, it's easy to create a anti-AI strategy which works against any AI opponent(s). I mean really, I won both 1v2 insane, 1v4 very hard, and FFA /w 7 Insane, and that wasn't really hard.
You can try it out if you want, just do a normal cannon rush/proxy gateway zealot rush vs an Insane AI and you'll have them surrender in less than 5 minutes.

Beat them without a cheese. =] Someone in diamond or platinum will be able to screw your cheese easily so try to win without. =]

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
I'd say the practice matches are good just to get some warm-up and grasp of the game. I'd say the would be even better if they removed the rocks and maybe increased the speed too. But I guess then you might as well just play a custom game, or..?

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
I just hate practice matches :p It made me switch from my old rush strategy so I just skipped them. Now I'm using sen's 1 base muta :p But zerg really needs a buff.. Every game I've lost was against protoss. It's very cheap :p

Placed me against a high-league player in my placement games. He was terran. Hardest win ever :p I think it was about to place me into Diamond/Platinum league T.T

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
You use Mutalisks? It should be relatively easy for you then against Protoss.I mean it might be different around when you hid mid to high plat and onwards but they are awesome coupled with Zerglings and Banelings against toss.That's one of the many reasons why ZvP is my best and favorite match up so far and if anything the protoss needs a better corsair and or Dragoon replacement or the Stalker and or Phoenix needs a slight buff.

It's like the protoss has no decent aa until they hit carrier tech since the Phoenix sucks balls vs groups of mutalisks (as long as there's more muta to phoenix),The Corsair and Dragoon are gone (Both of which where the bane of the Mutalisk in Broodwar),Templar storms are smaller in terms of AOE,No Maelstrom to conveniently bunch up mutalisks for storming (although vortex may prove to be a good substitute),Fastest Air unit in that particular match up (barely matched by Phoenix in terms of speed),Stalkers and sentries are not exactly built for fighting groups of mutalisks even more so when we're talking about adding zerglings and Banelings into the mix,Your opponent got colossi? good which means less Stalkers for your mutalisks to deal with which greatly increases your mutalisk's chances of surviving to pick of the Colossi,Too much stalkers/Sentries? Run your lings into them and attack a colossi or two can't stop that much Zerglings and banelings in time mop up with Mutalisks afterwards.

I could go on but i think I've said what's needed to be said.

Also try FE builds. If you can survive against the initial skirmishes the toss player throws at you you're pretty much going to have an advantage over him/her if you do it right.

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
I played practice matches until I was confident in my skill and, build orders, and comfortable with the new game mechanics. I dropped out after about 15 practice matches, and the real game is much tougher and much more rewarding! The rocks in the novice maps were pretty irritating, and breeds a very nooby environment. If I broke through them early and got to my enemy, they were usually screwed and lost because they weren't ready for an early or mid game battle.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.