Report Those with PCs decreases the risk of dementia in older men by 40%

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Having access to a personal computer lowers or decreases the risk of cognitive decline and dementia in older men by up to 40 per cent, according to researchers at The University of Western Australia.

Winthrop Professor Osvaldo Almeida and his colleagues undertook an eight-year study of more than 5000 Perth men aged from 65 to 85. The results are published in the journal PLoSOne.
Professor Almeida is Research Director at the UWA-affiliate, the Centre for Health and Ageing.

"As the world's population ages, the number of people experiencing cognitive decline and dementia will increase to 50 million by 2025," he said. "But if our findings are correct, the increase in the number of cases of dementia over the next 40 years may not be as dramatic as is currently expected."

Professor Almeida said previous studies showed that cognitively-stimulating activities decreased the risk of dementia but there was little evidence on the likely effect of computer use over many years.

Read more here.

SouLEDGE

Damn you advanced calculus
Reaction score
Guess most of us here will never get dementia :/ Was kinda looking forward
to it though

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
I dunno, I feel like using the computer is an active use of your brain regardless of what you're viewing... maybe it doesn't have to be something informative or educational, but just has to do with using your mind on a regular basis when you'd otherwise be lounging around, half falling asleep or somethin'.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Those with PCs decreases the risk of dementia in older men by 40%
I have a PC; does this mean I decrease the risk of dementia in older men by 40%?
Wow, I'm a life-saver!

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
o_O Fatmankev

Anyway, Hmm maybe that's good news? lollol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.