Thoughts on New Macbook, or Suitable Alternatives.

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
As the title says, what are your thoughts on the new Macbook (not pro). I am not really that computer literate when it goes to all the spec stuff, so i was wondering if you guys could tell me what you think.

If you like it, tell me why. If you hate it, do the same, tell me why and maybe tell me what you think a suitable alternative is.

Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated.

CaptDeath

Reaction score
well i rather dislike macs for the reasons of Most games will not run on it and Most programs will not run on it(idk about modding or w/e or adaptive programs) but from that perspective i would never ever consider getting a mac

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
Oops, i forgot to add. I am looking for a new laptop, but it will not be used for gaming purposes. It just so happens that uni keeps me on the computer for like 3-4 hours a day, due to this new e-learning crap. And with 6 people in the house im not the only one who needs the current computer. So yeah, just looking for something to help with work mostly. It will also be used for music and running stuff like Ableton, Serato and all that stuff. And maybe a few small games :p.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
i dislike most of their keyboards, see if you can go to a store and type comfortably on it first.. and remember that it has a "multi-touch-trackpad" which will take some getting used to, the rest others have mentioned already

Sintoras

Shaaakaa!
Reaction score
MacBooks are the nicest by design. I also like the relative simplicity. I would get one if you don't need sheer computing power or run a lot of freeware. For most commercial programs there are mac versions.

Only thing I'd consider is the that macs tend to be rather expensive, i.e. you pay a lot just to own an apple product.

Sintoras

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Macs generally have a lot of applications for Photo Editing, Music Editing, and Video Editing. Other than that, some things lack at times, though if it's commercial, it most likely has a MAC version. For schoolwork, makes are great, I see lots of people that use them for that reason.

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
i dislike most of their keyboards, see if you can go to a store and type comfortably on it first.. and remember that it has a "multi-touch-trackpad" which will take some getting used to

Im pretty much use to all that already, so it isnt really gonna affect my decision.

Only thing I'd consider is the that macs tend to be rather expensive

Thats basically why I am asking for other peoples opinions. Because I am willing to spend the money on it if it is worth it. And so far for me it seems worth it.

This is the one im looking at:

http://store.apple.com/au/configure/MB466X/A?mco=MTkzODk0OQ

And im thinking of upgrading to 4GB Memory (RAM), from 2GB. And upgrading from 160GB Hard drive to a 250GB Hard drive.

Its specs are:

- 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

- 2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x1GB (Upgraded: 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB)

- 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm (Upgraded: 250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm)

- SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

- NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics

Im no expert on this stuff, so what is that graphics card actually like? I've heard some realy good things about it.

Also, is it worth an extra $500 (AUS) to upgrade to 2.4GHz from 2.0GHz?

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I wouldn't upgrade the processer Kenny!, 2.0ghz is fine. The only reason you would need to upgrade is if you were doing something with it that required it, 3D Modeling, game Design, something that requires lots of CPU. For normal schooling, 2.0ghz is far more than enough, seeing as it's dual core.

As for the graphics card, it seems that card is really nice. I've read lots of reviews about it that say it's pretty much the best laptop video card you can get for the price, but I've not personally tested it so I wouldn't know. It's all based off of reviews.

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
Yeah I don't think I would have upgraded to 2.4GHz anyway. I don't have the cash. I've been doing a little bit of reading, and it seems that 2.0GHz is more than enough for what I need, as you said.

I've also been reading a lot of reviews of the Macbook and some of its components, and it all looks pretty good. I guess I was just wondering if I should really spend that much money, but due to recent events, I think it's almost a necessity for me to get one now.

Exfiltrate

Reaction score
I would get a refurbished macbook. I just purchased a bottom line unibody aluminum refurbished macbook for $200 dollars less than retail. The refurbished macbooks are just as good as new, if not better, as they are carefully inspected. I ordered my with 2gb of ram, but with refurbs, you might get lucky like me, I got 4gb. Overall the macbook is just like new with no problems.

Also don't worry about not using windows programs. Just use bootcamp, or Vmware Fusion or something.

Hope I could help!

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Exfiltrate, bootcamp and vmware have problems with certain programs, such as a lot of games.

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
has the problem with the overheating nvidia 9400 bin solved yet ?

I thought that problem was more to do with the 9600M and a possible glitch in the cooling system, keeping fans running at a single speed instead of increasing when the temperature increased. And this only really occured on MBP's.

Heating problems are pretty minimal with MB's. The 9400M seems to work really well. And the aluminium unibody absorbs heat a bit better then the plastic. Also, i wont be using anything too graphics intensive on it if i buy it, so it should be fine.

Exfiltrate, bootcamp and vmware have problems with certain programs, such as a lot of games.

This is true, but, as i said before, i don't think i'll be playing too many games. Macs are fun enoguh as is :p. lol.

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
mightbe extented to the 9600 series .

we just sold a couple of mac books the other day and we had to swap them for the newer version. all 9400 series .
not a big thing tho .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.